Old April 22nd 11, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default What does it take to be a Transport Correspondent?

On Apr 22, 4:27*pm, wrote:

I suggest you study thermodynamics andn especially the Otto Cycle and
the Diesel Cycle.

I would suggest you basic physics.

I have. I am an engineer. Thermodynamics is fundamental. I suggest you
study it before you bury yourself deeper.

There is waste heat yes, but it is heat that does the work. Heat does
all the useful work, the waste heat is that which can't be used.

--
Nick

Old April 22nd 11, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:21:57 -0700, D7666 wrote:

On Apr 22, 4:27Â*pm, wrote:

I suggest you study thermodynamics andn especially the Otto Cycle and
the Diesel Cycle.

I would suggest you basic physics.

I have. I am an engineer. Thermodynamics is fundamental. I suggest you
study it before you bury yourself deeper.

There is waste heat yes, but it is heat that does the work. Heat does
all the useful work, the waste heat is that which can't be used.

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/humour/hippo/entropy.html

Refers.

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself.
Old April 22nd 11, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 22, 5:28*pm, Andy Breen wrote:

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/humour/hippo/entropy.html

Refers.

)

Alas that will be lost on the very object who could do with it the
most.

--
Nick
Old April 22nd 11, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:34:30 -0700, D7666 wrote:

On Apr 22, 5:28Â*pm, Andy Breen wrote:

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/humour/hippo/entropy.html

Refers.

)

Alas that will be lost on the very object who could do with it the most.

I fear that entropy enjoyed an early triumph in his cognitive processes.

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself
Old April 22nd 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:06:12 +0000 (UTC)
Andy Breen wrote:
I suggest you study thermodynamics andn especially the Otto Cycle and
the Diesel Cycle.

There's a reason they're all collectively known as "heat engines".

And to state that "the work is done by the pressure of the gas" and then
go on to say that "Heat is a useless byproduct" suggests that the very
concept of equations of state (starting with PV = NkT) has passed someone
by.

It IS done by the gas pressure. The energy is the bond energy in the fuel -
its not stored in the fuel as heat FFS. The heat will increase the pressure
somewhat but its effect is minimal. If you could somehow reduce the
temperature to ambient after the reaction had finished the gas would still be
under pressure and would still push the piston down.

If you two seriously think the heating of the gas is solely responsible
for the work done on a piston then you might want to explain why we're not
using hot air balloons to lauch the space shuttle.

B2003

Old April 22nd 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 22, 5:42*pm, wrote:

If you two seriously think the heating of the gas is solely responsible
for the work done on a piston

You have already been told - PV=NKT

And we never said what you just said we said.

--
Nick

Old April 22nd 11, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:35:59 +0000 (UTC)
Andy Breen wrote:
http://www.iankitching.me.uk/humour/hippo/entropy.html

Refers.

)

Alas that will be lost on the very object who could do with it the most.

I fear that entropy enjoyed an early triumph in his cognitive processes.

Water turning to ice can crack stone or raise objects increasing their
potential energy. It requires heat to be removed for this to happen, not added.
So where does that leave your simplistic 19th century argument now?

B2003

Old April 22nd 11, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 22, 5:50*pm, wrote:

I fear that entropy enjoyed an early triumph in his cognitive processes.

Water turning to ice can crack stone or raise objects increasing their
potential energy. It requires heat to be removed for this to happen, not added.
So where does that leave your simplistic 19th century argument now?

You really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y do need to study thermodynamics.

When you do, you will realise where entropy comes into all that and
what we are talking about.

You are just burying yourself deeper and deeper by continuing to argue
about a subject you clearly know little about.

I'll leave you to either study what we have recommended or go on on
your false belief. Your choice.

Either way this is the last comment from me as clearly you don't want
to take advice form professionals who do this sort of thing for a
living.

--
Nick

Old April 22nd 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

D7666 wrote:
On Apr 22, 5:50*pm, wrote:

I fear that entropy enjoyed an early triumph in his cognitive processes.

Water turning to ice can crack stone or raise objects increasing their
potential energy. It requires heat to be removed for this to happen, not added.
So where does that leave your simplistic 19th century argument now?

You really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y do need to study thermodynamics.

When you do, you will realise where entropy comes into all that and
what we are talking about.

You are just burying yourself deeper and deeper by continuing to argue
about a subject you clearly know little about.

I'll leave you to either study what we have recommended or go on on
your false belief. Your choice.

Either way this is the last comment from me as clearly you don't want
to take advice form professionals who do this sort of thing for a
living.

Pearls before swine, Nick ... pearls before swine. ;-)

Old April 23rd 11, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
D7666 wrote:
On Apr 22, 5:50=A0pm, wrote:

I fear that entropy enjoyed an early triumph in his cognitive processes.

Water turning to ice can crack stone or raise objects increasing their
potential energy. It requires heat to be removed for this to happen, not =

added.
So where does that leave your simplistic 19th century argument now?

You really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y do need to study thermodynamics.

When you do, you will realise where entropy comes into all that and
what we are talking about.

So fill me in then. If heat is required to do work why does removing
heat from water to form ice also do work.

A simple 1 line explanation will do. I'm sure you're up to the task
since apparently you're an expert.

B2003