Old August 7th 03, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wanna be cool? Take the tube!

Interesting story in the media about temperatures on public transport on
Wednesday 'the hottest day (so far)'. It appears the tube is actually cooler
than mainline trains (except those lovely C2C trains) or the top of a
double-decker bus, which was hottest.

Perhaps people should be complaining more about getting air-conditioning for
buses, where the extra space could be found, rather than moaning about how
hot the tube is?

Old August 7th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote the following in:

Interesting story in the media about temperatures on public
transport on Wednesday 'the hottest day (so far)'. It appears the
tube is actually cooler than mainline trains (except those lovely
C2C trains) or the top of a double-decker bus, which was hottest.

Those C2C trains really are great. Until recently I used them every
day, and it was wonderful to step out of an uncomfortably hot day and
into a nice cool, shady train.

I can definitely imagine that the top of a double-decker bus is the
hottest. I was in one on tuesday and I could hardly breathe. I must say
it wasn't helped at all when some idiot sprayed some deodorant around
on the bus.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.
Old August 7th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message

Its a shame the Cab air con doesnt work as well as in the passenger
compartments. Thank god for windows!

Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Noticed one of the C2C ticket machines the other day in trouble, one of the
options was "Exit to Windows".

Old August 7th 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG writes
It appears the tube is actually cooler than mainline trains

I think thousands of people would disagree with that.

Depends how wedged the train is at the time you measure the temperature.

--
Dave
Old August 7th 03, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:27:46 +0100 Robin Mayes
said...

Perhaps people should be complaining more about getting air-conditioning for
buses, where the extra space could be found, rather than moaning about how
hot the tube is?

My complaint about most modern double deck buses is not so much lack of
air conditioning, but larger windows with very little ventilation.
Effectively they are greenhouses on wheels...

On the subject of the tube, the "In this hot weather" posters mention
that "long term solutions are being looked in to. I know the engineers
all seem to respond with the usual "Oh no, we can't possible do that"
statement as soon as the subject of air conditioning on the tube is
uttered, but perhaps LUL can up date us on what these "long term
solutions" exactly are.

--
Phil Richards
London, N4

Old August 7th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Phil Richards writes
On the subject of the tube, the "In this hot weather" posters mention
that "long term solutions are being looked in to. I know the engineers
all seem to respond with the usual "Oh no, we can't possible do that"
statement as soon as the subject of air conditioning on the tube is
uttered, but perhaps LUL can up date us on what these "long term
solutions" exactly are.

There were quiet a few stories regarding this in the press during the
last hot period we had this summer.

"London Mayor Ken Livingstone has offered a GBP100,000 reward for anyone
who can invent an air conditioning system for the Tube"
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ONTRANSPORTHea
ttu11tubeairc

"Air conditioning will be fitted on Tube trains but not for another 10
years."
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...Evening%20Stan
dard

--
Dave
Old August 7th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

congokid writes
I'm sure when I was in Sydney some years ago the train doors stayed
open between stops to enhance ventilation.

Anyone back this up?

Not this year. All but the oldest trains have air-con - on the older
trains, you just get hot.

--
Dave
Old August 7th 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:07:38 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

My complaint about most modern double deck buses is not so much lack of
air conditioning, but larger windows with very little ventilation.
Effectively they are greenhouses on wheels...

Agreed. I've always wondered why - apart from cheapo bus companies -
they don't have openers fitted to all windows...

A return to the idea of having opening front windows on the top deck
would also be good - even if they're hoppers rather than sliding
windows in order to avoid anything flying in.

Neil

Old August 7th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin Mayes wrote:
"Joe Patrick" wrote in message

Its a shame the Cab air con doesnt work as well as in the passenger
compartments. Thank god for windows!

Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Noticed one of the C2C ticket machines the other day in trouble, one
of the options was "Exit to Windows".

Well at least it was in English! I remember hearing some years ago about a
newly installed ATM machine at a bank in Newcastle where the screen just
said

C:

--
Richard J.

Old August 7th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

congokid wrote:
In article , Robin Mayes
writes
Interesting story in the media about temperatures on public
transport on Wednesday 'the hottest day (so far)'. It appears the
tube is actually cooler than mainline trains (except those lovely
C2C trains) or the top of a double-decker bus, which was hottest.

Perhaps people should be complaining more about getting
air-conditioning for buses, where the extra space could be found,
rather than moaning about how hot the tube is?

I'm sure when I was in Sydney some years ago the train doors stayed
open between stops to enhance ventilation.

Certainly true on my first visit in 1970. I seem to remember a photo in
Modern Railways earlier this year of the same thing in the south of France.
--
Richard J.