Old April 21st 11, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default What does it take to be a Transport Correspondent?

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:25:50 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/04/2011 11:04, Andy Breen wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:47:21 +0100, Mark Robinson wrote:

On 21/04/2011 09:33, Graeme Wall wrote:

Pedantically they have motors, not engines. The latter being those
nasty infernal combustion thingies. Motors run on nice clean
electrickery.

Um. No. "Petrol motor" or "steam motor" are both perfectly acceptable
terms within the railway context (both terms having been used by
railways..) - "diesel motor" was rarer, but not unknown.

Steam motor actually makes sense in the context I was using as it is an
external combustion engine, as is an electric motor. An analogy that
breaks down as soon as you introduce hydro/wind/tidal power into the
equation :-)

Isn't a water turbine a hydraulic engine? ;-)

But yes, I understand your point..

--
From the Model M of Andy Breen, speaking only for himself

Old April 21st 11, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Fox wrote in
:

The use of "engine" for electric motor is unheard of.

What about winding engines in mines? I can see this thread running for
ever.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS | Epsom | UK ||
Old April 21st 11, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21/04/2011 11:32, Andy Breen wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:25:50 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/04/2011 11:04, Andy Breen wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:47:21 +0100, Mark Robinson wrote:

On 21/04/2011 09:33, Graeme Wall wrote:

Pedantically they have motors, not engines. The latter being those
nasty infernal combustion thingies. Motors run on nice clean
electrickery.

Um. No. "Petrol motor" or "steam motor" are both perfectly acceptable
terms within the railway context (both terms having been used by
railways..) - "diesel motor" was rarer, but not unknown.

Steam motor actually makes sense in the context I was using as it is an
external combustion engine, as is an electric motor. An analogy that
breaks down as soon as you introduce hydro/wind/tidal power into the
equation :-)

Isn't a water turbine a hydraulic engine? ;-)

Told you the analogy broke down when you introduced water, it stops the
combustion...

Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old April 21st 11, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21/04/2011 12:02, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
Peter wrote in
:

The use of "engine" for electric motor is unheard of.

What about winding engines in mines?

Were they not originally steam engines?

Old April 21st 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:50:46 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote
On 21/04/2011 12:02, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
Peter wrote in
:

The use of "engine" for electric motor is unheard of.

What about winding engines in mines?

Were they not originally steam engines?

Originally horse or treadmill powered.

Old April 21st 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:49:14 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/04/2011 11:32, Andy Breen wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:25:50 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/04/2011 11:04, Andy Breen wrote:

Steam motor actually makes sense in the context I was using as it is
an external combustion engine, as is an electric motor. An analogy
that breaks down as soon as you introduce hydro/wind/tidal power into
the equation :-)

Isn't a water turbine a hydraulic engine? ;-)

Told you the analogy broke down when you introduced water, it stops the
combustion...

Not always. You can get a significant power boost by injecting a fine
mist of water into the air intake of an otto-cycle engine (it cools the
fuel/air mix, increasing its density and thus the amount of mix delivered
to the cylinder). Water injection was a hardy perrennial in aero-engines
in the piston-engined days, either for emergency power boost or for take-
off. Also used by the drag-racing boys, of course..

Actually, on reflection, you can use it with diesels too, as a way of
cooling the air charge (after, I think , compression by the supercharger)
and allowing more fuel to be injected per stroke. The Napier Nomad used
water injection for power boost..

;-)

--
Andy Breen, not speaking on behalf of Aberystwyth University "The
internet, that wonderful tool for bringing us into contact with things
Old April 21st 11, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:02:22 +0000, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

Peter Fox wrote in
:

The use of "engine" for electric motor is unheard of.

What about winding engines in mines? I can see this thread running for
ever.

The hauler on the incline on the Bowes Railway is electric, and that gets
referred to as an engine..

Old April 21st 11, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:09:02 +0000 (UTC)
Andy Breen wrote:
Not always. You can get a significant power boost by injecting a fine
mist of water into the air intake of an otto-cycle engine (it cools the
fuel/air mix, increasing its density and thus the amount of mix delivered
to the cylinder). Water injection was a hardy perrennial in aero-engines
in the piston-engined days, either for emergency power boost or for take-
off. Also used by the drag-racing boys, of course..

Actually, on reflection, you can use it with diesels too, as a way of
cooling the air charge (after, I think , compression by the supercharger)
and allowing more fuel to be injected per stroke. The Napier Nomad used
water injection for power boost..

Won't the water mix with the NOx produced and produce nitric acid which
will slowly eat away at the engine and exhaust system?

B2003

Old April 21st 11, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:50:46 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/04/2011 12:02, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
Peter wrote in
:

The use of "engine" for electric motor is unheard of.

What about winding engines in mines?

Were they not originally steam engines?

Originally they were horses (horse whims were "engines"), or probably
humans on winches (a winch was an "engine" too).