Old April 23rd 11, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Queensway Tube Public Address sounds really bad

Does anyone know why the public address announcements on the platforms at
Queensway Underground station are of such poor sound quality?

Speaking as someone with a little experience of audio engineering I can hear
3 obvious technical faults which should all be easy to avoid: 1. A high
pitched whine. 2. Clipping distortion. 3. Digital distortion (excessive
audio compression). The digital distortion is particularly bad. Some words
don't sound like words at all, but more like the sound of a wah-wah pedal on
an electric guitar.

Have they put in a new digital voice recorder, and it doesn't work properly
with the public address system? They need to do something about it because
on top of the usual problems of mumbled speech in a heavy accent, these
audio faults mean that the platform announcements can be totally
unintelligible.

A lot of tourists use Queensway station, and most can probably understand
English if it is clearly spoken, but I doubt if they can understand any of
the platform announcements at all, even when I can make out some of them.