Old May 18th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How to Tube to this address?

Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite bookstore has
moved to the above address. Where online can I type a London address and
find the nearest Tube stop? And more importantly when I get to the nearest
tube stop, how do I get directions to walk there?

I wrote the store via email over two weeks ago and didn't hear back. They
probably don't deserve my custom, but, well, I need to buy books and bring
the back home

If you can help, please post here or drop me an e-mail.

Best,
Eric

--
I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said
"Implants?" She hit me. (Author Unknown)

Old May 18th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CMOT TMPV" wrote in message
et...
Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite bookstore has
moved to the above address. Where online can I type a London address and
find the nearest Tube stop? And more importantly when I get to the nearest
tube stop, how do I get directions to walk there?

You can put postal codes (and street addresses) into
http://www.streetmap.co.uk

The store is at the eastern end of Shaftesbury Avenue. I would use Leicester
Square tube station. Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden and Tottenham Court
Road (offering a couple of different lines) are close enough for an easy
walk though, depending from where in London you might be coming and how much
you like walking

Enjoy your trip!

HTH,

Tom

Old May 18th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CMOT TMPV wrote:
Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite
bookstore has moved to the above address. Where online can I type a
London address and find the nearest Tube stop?

The nearest stations are Covent Garden and Tottenham Court Road.

You can use the Transport for London (TfL) Journey Planner at
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk to find the best way of getting there
from where you are staying. You can enter either the postcode "WC2H
8JR" or the address "179 Shaftesbury Avenue".

And more importantly when I get to the nearest tube stop,
how do I get directions to walk there?

The TfL Journey Planner can display a detailed map showing how to walk
from the Tube station to the shop. Alternatively, you can go to
www.streetmap.co.uk, enter the postcode WC2H 8JR, and it will display a
street map with the location arrowed, and tube stations marked with the
Tube logo.

HTH

--
Richard J.

Old May 18th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CMOT TMPV" wrote in message
et...
Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite bookstore has
moved to the above address. Where online can I type a London address and
find the nearest Tube stop? And more importantly when I get to the nearest
tube stop, how do I get directions to walk there?

Try www.multimap.com, select Great Britain from the dropdown list and enter
the postcode as WC2H8JR.

ITYF that Tottenham Court Road or Covent Garden are your best choices for
underground stations.

Old May 18th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CMOT TMPV typed

Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

It's roughly in the middle of a triangle bounded by Covent Garden
(Piccadilly Line), Tottenham Court Road (Central & Northern Lines) and
Holborn (Piccadilly & Central Lines) underground stations, none of which
are as much as half a mile away.

Underground stations all have local maps on their walls to help you find
your destination.

According to my edition of Autoroute, Forbidden Planet should be about
midway between Mercer Street & High Holborn.

Multimap (sorry, I dont have the URL) might be very helpful. I'd suggest
purchasing an A-Z street atlas from a newsstand.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old May 19th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

CMOT TMPV wrote:
Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite
bookstore has moved to the above address. Where online can I type a
London address and find the nearest Tube stop? And more importantly
when I get to the nearest tube stop, how do I get directions to walk
there?

I wrote the store via email over two weeks ago and didn't hear back.
They probably don't deserve my custom, but, well, I need to buy books
and bring the back home

If you can help, please post here or drop me an e-mail.

Best,
Eric

There is a Journey Planner at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/ which allows you to
get an almost door to door travel plan.

Old May 19th 04, 02:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 5/18/04 19:10 --
possibly wrote:
"CMOT TMPV" wrote in message
[...]

I plan to

Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly!

Cheers,
Eric

--
"Stop Inbreeding -- Ban Country Music" (Bumper Sticker)

Old May 19th 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

Underground stations all have local maps on their
walls to help you find your destination.

And they also give away small versions of these local street maps free of
charge. If they are not in a wall-mounted rack near the ticket office, the
ticket seller will have them.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 19th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 May 2004 at 22:57:13, CMOT TMPV
wrote:

Forbidden Planet
179 Shaftesbury Avenue
London
WC2H 8JR

I'll be coming to the UK again in June/July and my favourite bookstore has
moved to the above address. Where online can I type a London address and
find the nearest Tube stop? And more importantly when I get to the nearest
tube stop, how do I get directions to walk there?

Thank you for that! I wondered where it had gone. Also try Murder One
which has a huge sf department in its basement, in Charing Cross Road.

The website you want is http://www.tfl.gov.uk, and click on the link
marked "Journey Planner". This will tell you how to get from your
starting point to where you are going, if that makes sense.

I wrote the store via email over two weeks ago and didn't hear back. They
probably don't deserve my custom, but, well, I need to buy books and bring
the back home

Murder One (I think it's something like , but I
could be wrong) is much better!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004
Old May 19th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 at 22:57:13, CMOT TMPV
wrote:

Forbidden Planet

Thank you for that! I wondered where it had gone. Also try Murder One
which has a huge sf department in its basement, in Charing Cross Road.

The SF part of the shop is called New Worlds, i think, although everyone i
know still refers to it as Murder One.

tom

--
Subvert normality.