Old September 28th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Queensway and Notting Hill Gate

The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they don't
suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.
--
Thoss

Old September 30th 05, 07:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:
The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they don't
suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.
Old September 30th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Industrial wrote:
thoss wrote:
The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they
don't suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.

But Bayswater Station is in Queensway, only about 200m from Queensway
Station.

--
Bob

Old September 30th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Industrial" wrote in message
thoss wrote:
The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they don't
suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.

Yes it is. Have you looked at a map?
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=525860&y=180725

Very different from the impression given on Mr Becks's magnum opus, of
course.
--
David Biddulph

Old September 30th 05, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:
Industrial wrote:

thoss wrote:

The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they
don't suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.

But Bayswater Station is in Queensway, only about 200m from Queensway
Station.

That is irrelevant, and will only serve to confuse tourists. cf. Regents
Park/Great Portland Street.

Old October 1st 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:

The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed, and
recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why they don't
suggest taking a Circle or District train to Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.

Yes it is. Have you looked at a map?
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=525860&y=180725

No, David. Bayswater is *on* Queensway. It is not Queensway. Local bus
services take you from NHG to Queensway [station], as does a short walk. It
is pointless being re-directed to another station on Queensway if your
directions/instructions are from Queensway [station]. It makes things too
complicated.

In this post, you have failed to grasp the difference between Queensway
[station] and Queensway [the street] -- and you're a LT anorak. How do you
think a foreign chap might cope?

INDUSTRIAL.
Old October 1st 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:01:16 +0100, Industrial
wrote:

In this post, you have failed to grasp the difference between Queensway
[station] and Queensway [the street] -- and you're a LT anorak. How do you
think a foreign chap might cope?

Probably much better than you give him credit for :-)
Old October 1st 05, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:

The announcement at NHG says that Queensway station is closed,
and recommends catching a bus outside the station. I wonder why
they don't suggest taking a Circle or District train to
Bayswater.

Because Bayswater isn't Queensway.

Yes it is. Have you looked at a map?
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=525860&y=180725

No, David. Bayswater is *on* Queensway. It is not Queensway.
Local bus services take you from NHG to Queensway [station], as
does a short walk. It is pointless being re-directed to another
station on Queensway if your directions/instructions are from
Queensway [station]. It makes things too complicated.

In this post, you have failed to grasp the difference between
Queensway [station] and Queensway [the street] -- and you're a LT
anorak. How do you think a foreign chap might cope?

Telling him to take a District Line train to Bayswater and then turn
right on leaving the station is rather simpler than explaining which
exit to use at NHG, where the bus stop is, which bus routes to choose,
and how to know when the bus has reached Queensway station (as it's the
most anonymous LU station I know -- last time I saw it there wasn't even
an LU roundel outside it).
--
Richard J.

Old October 1st 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Telling him to take a District Line train to Bayswater and then turn
right on leaving the station is rather simpler than explaining which
exit to use at NHG, where the bus stop is, which bus routes to choose,
and how to know when the bus has reached Queensway station (as it's the
most anonymous LU station I know -- last time I saw it there wasn't even
an LU roundel outside it).

Of course, buses and the footpath don't close all weekend for engineering
works. The sub-surface lines often do.
Old October 1st 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Industrial wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Telling him to take a District Line train to Bayswater and then
turn right on leaving the station is rather simpler than
explaining which exit to use at NHG, where the bus stop is, which
bus routes to choose, and how to know when the bus has reached
Queensway station (as it's the most anonymous LU station I know --
last time I saw it there wasn't even an LU roundel outside it).

Of course, buses and the footpath don't close all weekend for
engineering works. The sub-surface lines often do.

Who said anything about weekends? Anyway, this particular line isn't
affected by the current weekend closure programme.
--
Richard J.