Old May 18th 11, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Carto-Metro map - v2.0

Franklin has now uploaded v2.0 of his London Carto-Metro map.
http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-london/

There are significant changes to the previous version (v1.1) including:

Croydon Tramlink has been added.

Northern City Line has been added

The future ELL extension to Clapham Junction has been added, together with
the new platform arrangement (work not yet started)

The NR track layout from Clapham Junction to the Stewarts Lane area has
been added and the Latchmere Curve updated to show the recent changes

Some NR lines detail has been added to areas where they connect or used to
connect with the Underground lines, such as at Finsbury Park

Platform numbers have been added

On the online map, clicking on the station now takes you that station’s
departure boards site

Any known errors from the v1.1 map have been corrected, but please let
Franklin know if you find anything that appears to be wrong

I’ve just noticed that there appear to be problems with the online map
when you click on the station for the Google map / destination board
links. I am not sure if this is a network problem or something else. I’ve
let Franklin know and no doubt it will be sorted shortly.

Roger

Old May 18th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Wed, 18 May 2011 07:13:28 -0500

[...]

The departure board / Google map links are now working correctly.

Roger
Old May 19th 11, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On May 18, 1:13*pm, wrote:
[...]

This guy is briliant. I love these maps. Now, if we could just have
the London Connections version, :-)

Old May 19th 11, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,

*From:* 1506
*Date:* Thu, 19 May 2011 00:56:34 -0700 (PDT)

On May 18, 1:13*pm, wrote:
[...]

It would be nice to have the whole London Connections area covered in the
same detail, but I doubt that would happen. There are a few reasons I can
think of:
Franklin's maps are aimed at the metro type of transport (Underground,
Metro, RER, trams etc) rather than the NR tracks and this makes for a less
cluttered map

Google Earth (where all the surface track details are taken from) isn't
very recent in some areas and so won't show the up to date layout
(although, in most cases, there's probably no change). Also the quality
can be crap on some years.

There is also the work involved. I know how much time Franklin has spent
on the existing map so far. Obviously a lot of the work has been done
already with the existing map but the NR side can be a lot more
complicated because of all the trackwork, junctions etc.
Franklin does all the hard work, I just do the proof reading for him and
on-site checking where necessary.

Being used to reading the road from a cab, I didn't realise how hard it
was to try and work out from a carriage window whether points the train
was going over were facing or trailing. Clapham Junction is a good example
of where I made several trips on the NLL to / from platforms 2 and 17 to
confirm the layout and the crossovers near Latchmere Junction seemed
different every time I went past them! This wasn't helped by the doubling
of the Latchmere Curve and altered track layout. I also had to time it
right to make two trips on the one-a-day parly train from Wandsworth Road
to confirm some track layout (an interesting experience!).

Sorry, I got carried away there!

I will pass this on to Franklin, but I don't think that there's likely to
be a London Connections type map in the near future.

Now how about all of the UK railways on the same scale map :-)

Roger
Old May 19th 11, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/05/2011 13:13, wrote:
Franklin has now uploaded v2.0 of his London Carto-Metro map.
http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-london/

It's great (though it did give me a blue screen of death after a couple
of minutes of panning and zooming around).
Old May 20th 11, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin. You'll like this.

In message ,
writes

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old May 20th 11, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bugger. Can anyway tell that I hit the wrong key! Apologies all.

In message , Paul G
writes
Martin. You'll like this.

In message ,
writes

Old May 20th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

*From:* Dave Newt
*Date:* Thu, 19 May 2011 21:22:26 +0100

On 18/05/2011 13:13, wrote:
Franklin has now uploaded v2.0 of his London Carto-Metro map.
http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-london/

It's great (though it did give me a blue screen of death after a
couple of minutes of panning and zooming around).

I'm not sure what the reason for the blue screen is - it might have just
been a one-off thing with your PC.

If this happens again, perhaps you can post the details of what operating
system you're using and if there was anything else you were running at the
time and I'll pass the information on to Franklin.

If anybody else has any problem with a blue screen, can you also let me
know with the details.

Thanks

Roger