Old May 26th 11, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Aldgate train

About 21.00, today, at Barbican, my eastbound Circle train was stopped.
I noticed a new Metropolitan train, westbound. I infer it had come from
Aldgate.
I have seen no reports of those trains south of Baker Street.
I am afraid I did not get out to note train and carriage numbers.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old May 28th 11, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/05/2011 22:07, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 21:44:17 +0100, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

About 21.00, today, at Barbican, my eastbound Circle train was stopped.
I noticed a new Metropolitan train, westbound. I infer it had come from
Aldgate.
I have seen no reports of those trains south of Baker Street.
I am afraid I did not get out to note train and carriage numbers.

The first S Stock to Aldgate ran a few weeks ago. As of Monday this
week they have started running through to Aldgate off peak on
weekdays.

The new trains look like an enormous caterpillar.
Old May 28th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:46:18 +0100
" wrote:
The first S Stock to Aldgate ran a few weeks ago. As of Monday this
week they have started running through to Aldgate off peak on
weekdays.

The new trains look like an enormous caterpillar.

Why do the doors curve in at the bottom? It seems a daft bit of design
which will make standing next to the doors in crush hour rather awkward
and uncomfortable.

B2003

Old May 28th 11, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Why do the doors curve in at the bottom?

It helps to stop them hitting the platforms... :-)

Seriously though - they've been designed to be a best fit for the
infrastructure over the entire sub surface network, including those lines
where platforms are a compromise height because they are shared with tube
stock.

Paul S

Old May 28th 11, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:20:08 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

Why do the doors curve in at the bottom?

It helps to stop them hitting the platforms... :-)

Seriously though - they've been designed to be a best fit for the
infrastructure over the entire sub surface network, including those lines
where platforms are a compromise height because they are shared with tube
stock.

But none of the current sub surface stock seem to require it. In fact the
A stock actually goes outwards slightly. So whats difference about the S
stock?

B2003

Old May 28th 11, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote:

It helps to stop them hitting the platforms... :-)

Seriously though - they've been designed to be a best fit for the
infrastructure over the entire sub surface network, including those lines
where platforms are a compromise height because they are shared with tube
stock.

But none of the current sub surface stock seem to require it. In fact the
A stock actually goes outwards slightly. So whats difference about the S
stock?

Smaller wheels and a lower floor, so it cannot overhang the platform edge.

Paul S