Old November 24th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Aldgate Delays

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a couple of
minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

P.

Old November 24th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"M Patrick" wrote in message

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often
a delay of a couple of minutes, sometimes lasting
up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

I don't think so, but it is one of the few places where Circle Line trains
can wait without getting in the way of other trains, so short delays are
deliberately scheduled there to allow late trains to get back on schedule.
I'm not sure about the 10 minute delays though - since the line runs every 8
minutes, this sounds implausible!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 24th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"M Patrick" wrote in message

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often
a delay of a couple of minutes, sometimes lasting
up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

I don't think so, but it is one of the few places where Circle Line trains
can wait without getting in the way of other trains, so short delays are
deliberately scheduled there to allow late trains to get back on schedule.
I'm not sure about the 10 minute delays though - since the line runs every
8
minutes, this sounds implausible!

Ok. Let's say up to 5 minutes occasionally. I only use the Circle line on
the times when the Northern line is scuppered.

Old November 25th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"M Patrick" wrote in message
When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a couple of
minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the drivers change
over?

Driver's don't change there but trains are timetabled an extended stop to
allow some recovery time as they're the only trains to use the two outside
platforms (normally) and they're the only platforms the Circle doesn't share
with either the Hammersmith & City or the District.

Old November 25th 04, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
"M Patrick" wrote in message

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often
a delay of a couple of minutes, sometimes lasting
up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

I don't think so, but it is one of the few places where Circle Line trains
can wait without getting in the way of other trains, so short delays are
deliberately scheduled there to allow late trains to get back on schedule.
I'm not sure about the 10 minute delays though - since the line runs every 8
minutes, this sounds implausible!

I always find it amazing that waiting 10+ minutes for a circle line is
not abnormal when they run an 8 minute frequency. The number of times I
have stood at Liverpool Street for 5 minutes or more waiting for any
train when there are three services all running a better than 10 minute
frequency! Must be like buses!
--
John Alexander,

Old November 25th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 25 Nov 2004:

"M Patrick" wrote in message
When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a couple of
minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the drivers change
over?

Driver's don't change there but trains are timetabled an extended stop to
allow some recovery time as they're the only trains to use the two outside
platforms (normally) and they're the only platforms the Circle doesn't share
with either the Hammersmith & City or the District.

I *thought* they had dedicated platforms at Gloucester Road, too?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 25th 04, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Not to change drivers, but to allow them a natural break. Remember that on
other lines, that run end to end, drivers get a few minutes break at
reversing points, which is not the case on the Circle. So a few minutes R&R
is allowed for at Aldgate.

--
Lawrence Myers

Old November 25th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"M Patrick" wrote in message
When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a
couple of minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the
drivers change over?

Driver's don't change there but trains are timetabled an extended
stop to allow some recovery time as they're the only trains to use
the two outside platforms (normally) and they're the only platforms
the Circle doesn't share with either the Hammersmith & City or the
District.

I *thought* they had dedicated platforms at Gloucester Road, too?

Only one, on the Outer Rail.

Old November 25th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article ,
dated Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:44:53, seen in news:uk.transport.london, M
Patrick posted :

When the circle line gets to Aldgate there is often a delay of a couple of
minutes, sometimes lasting up to 10. Is this where the drivers change over?

That waiting was nicely explained in an excellent little book "How The
Underground Works" by P E Garbutt - my p/b copy, printed in 1966, cost
5/- new (IIRC, there were later editions) - on p.68.

Interworking with other services fixed the Circle line interval at 7.5
minutes, and minimum running time was 47 minutes per lap. In order to
fit a whole number of trains in, a lap was scheduled at 7 * 7.5 = 52.5
minutes, and so 5.5 minutes had to be lost somewhere. Aldgate was one
of the few places at which time could be lost without holding up other
services.

I used to catch an afternoon train into Waterloo, and then an outbound
one, not very long after, from Liverpool Street. So, during the week,
connection was good by Drain to Bank; but on Sunday, it seemed best to
use Charing Cross and Circle. The wait at Aldgate was always a source
of concern.

Probably the details have changed since I used it.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.