Old July 6th 11, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default KXSP to East Croydon

I'm wondering why Journey Planner suggests I get to East Croydon from KXSP
by using the tube to London Bridge and then train to EC, rather than FCC
direct. I'm sure there's a very good reason - or not!

Ian

Old July 6th 11, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 6, 8:20*am, "Ian F." wrote:
I'm wondering why Journey Planner suggests I get to East Croydon from KXSP
by using the tube to London Bridge and then train to EC, rather than FCC
direct. I'm sure there's a very good reason - or not!

Ian

Depends when you are travelling. If late evening or at weekend there
is no FCC service across London. The FCC service commences at LOB at
those times. The only other reason would be if the Victoria Line was
going to be subject to a planned closure thus ruling out the option of
going via Victoria and then Southern to East Croydon.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old July 6th 11, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Jul 6, 8:20 am, "Ian F." wrote:

Depends when you are travelling.

Thanks Paul.

I get back into SP from Nottingham tomorrow at 18.19 and FCC's timetable
shows an 18.34 to EC. It's a worry as Journey Planner makes me think it's
not running.

Ian

Old July 6th 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ian F.
writes

I get back into SP from Nottingham tomorrow at 18.19 and FCC's
timetable shows an 18.34 to EC. It's a worry as Journey Planner makes
me think it's not running.

Try entering St Pancras International as your departure point, rather
than KXSP.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 6th 11, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

Depends when you are travelling.

Thanks Paul.

I get back into SP from Nottingham tomorrow at 18.19 and FCC's timetable
shows an 18.34 to EC. It's a worry as Journey Planner makes me think it's
not running.

Depends what you enter as the origin point - choose "St Pancras
International" and the direct journey via Thameslink is shown, choose KXSP
Tube station and it's not.

Old July 6th 11, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Try entering St Pancras International as your departure point, rather than
KXSP.

Ah-ha! So that is the secret. Journey Planner moves in mysterious ways...

Many thanks to all,

Ian

Old July 6th 11, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/07/2011 09:19, Paul Terry wrote:
Try entering St Pancras International as your departure point, rather
than KXSP.

That's a good suggestion - some journey planners allow an excessive time
to walk from King's Cross to St.Pancras or even one bit of St.Pancras to
another. When the station is crowded you might need nearly 10 mins to
reach the deep tube lines from one of the NR stations, but the change
from EMT to FCC is easy, a mere two ticket barriers and three escalators
down. FCC trains are scheduled to run through London until about 10 pm
each evening.

Once or twice I have alighted from an EMT train due in at xx:29 and
managed to catch a southbound FCC train 3 floors below departing at
xx:28, which is something that no journey planner would lead you to
attempt. But that depends on the EMT arrival time padding, of course,
and no idiot holding you up at either ticket barrier.

--
Clive Page