Old July 13th 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thank you London Underground

"Paul Rigg" wrote in message

"It might be a bit off topic but if you wanted to go from Hammersmith to
Euston why didn't you use the Hammersmith and City Line to Euston Square?

Just a thought

Because the Hammersmith and Circle lines are utterly useless? Typical
scenario:
Wait for seven minutes at Paddington for an Eastbound train on an advertised
frequency of
every five minutes. At Edgware Road wait another four minutes "to regulate
the service" even though
by my reckoning the train is already late (or perhaps the previous train
left Paddington early?).
Then at Baker Street wait another three minutes for the same reason. I
nearly always take the
Bakerloo to Baker Street for the Met forward or Bakerloo to Oxford
Circus for the Victoria. Either option is better then the Circle.

John

Old July 13th 11, 08:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"W14_Fishbourne" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 11:06 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

Loved how that article lead off by describing passengers as
"terrified."

Their random hyperbole generator usually gets stuck on 'misery' - perhaps
it
has been fixed?

Paul S

No, misery is only generated when delay or minor inconvenience is
involved, though it is a totally inappropriate word since commuting
is, almost by definition, a misearable affair.

Terrified is for when something out of the ordinary happens. The
average passenger not having a clue as to how the railway works, then
becomes terrified. For example, when they see the train driver letting
go of the steering wheel they will be terrified that the train will
veer across the tracks and crash. Or the wrong colour train turns up
and they are terrified that it might transport them to some far-flung
and probably hostile part of the country. Oddly, the one circumstance
in which very few passengers don't even bat an eye, let alone get
terrified, is when the driver applies full emergency braking.

They must have short memories. VEPs used to depart Victoria every few
minutes with doors open:-)

John

Old July 13th 11, 08:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 13, 9:03*pm, "John C" wrote:

They must have short memories. VEPs used to depart Victoria every few
minutes with doors open:-)

But I bet more arrived with doors open than departed.

--
Nick

Old July 13th 11, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/07/2011 11:06, Paul Scott wrote:
wrote in message

Loved how that article lead off by describing passengers as "terrified."

Their random hyperbole generator usually gets stuck on 'misery' -
perhaps it has been fixed?

I think the railways will be Extremely Sorry if they try criticising the
Evening Standard for deploying machine-created emotions.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 13th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

No mention of RAIB, and when I spoke to the RAIB reporting point after
reading the first internet post about the incident, they weren't aware of
the occurrence.

Shouldn't the train be quarantined in situ until RAIB either attend or agree it's
movement?

I'm not sure that RAIB necessarily need to be involved.

I think some contributors need to stand back from this a bit and think
a bt more rationally.

There is a big difference between a train moving off with doors open
and continuing with doors open (as occurred at Kentish Town on FCC a
few weeks back), and train departing a station with not all doors
closed and then near immediately brought to a controlled emergency
stop.

For the train on topic here, all reports indicate the train did halt
with a least some some cars in the platform, which to me suggests a
controlled emergency stop. Some of the less hysterical reports also
indicate the doors problem was not all cars but only some. One door
open is not good, but get a grip on reality here.

Door failures are not wholly unheard of on the underground or main
line, but you don't see RAIB investigations for trains where correct
emergency stops were occurred.

IMHO I suggest that this is probably not a RAIB reportable incident.

--
Nick

Old July 13th 11, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/07/2011 13:14, W14_Fishbourne wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:06 am, "Paul
wrote:
wrote in message

Loved how that article lead off by describing passengers as "terrified."

Their random hyperbole generator usually gets stuck on 'misery' - perhaps it
has been fixed?

Paul S

No, misery is only generated when delay or minor inconvenience is
involved, though it is a totally inappropriate word since commuting
is, almost by definition, a misearable affair.

Terrified is for when something out of the ordinary happens. The
average passenger not having a clue as to how the railway works, then
becomes terrified.

The way it was described makes me think that it was the train that
stopped, rather than the driver taking any action.

It sounds like the train started, with the driver thinking that he had
all his doors closed -- possibly because something happened with a door
circuit. When he pushed the start button, that door circuit did what it
was supposed to do and cut back in.

Or the wrong colour train turns up
and they are terrified that it might transport them to some far-flung
and probably hostile part of the country.

I'm not quite sure about that, to be honest. I once saw a YouTube video
of an excursion train, I think a 38 stock. The train had come into
Camden Town and was holding at the platform for the starter signal,
obviously with its doors shut.

IIRC, people on the platform were confused about why the train wasn't
opening it doors, oblivious to the fact that the rolling stock was
completely out of the ordinary. The train itself was probably shorter
than usual.