Old July 11th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Inspector Sands to the Control Room" at Kings Cross today

Repeated on the PA while I was in the Western Ticket Hall just after 3
this afternoon. It stopped shortly before I reached the Westbound Met
platform.

Any idea why?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 12th 11, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:21:21
on Mon, 11 Jul 2011, remarked:
Repeated on the PA while I was in the Western Ticket Hall just after 3
this afternoon. It stopped shortly before I reached the Westbound Met
platform.

Any idea why?

You know it's the fire alarm I suppose? Why did it stop - probably
because someone reset whatever was causing the false alarm.
Old July 17th 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 12, 7:36*am, Roland Perry wrote:

You know it's the fire alarm I suppose? Why did it stop - probably
because someone reset whatever was causing the false alarm.

No its is not the fire alarm.

Inspector Sands is an alert (or alarm if you must) to advise station
staff that a fire alarm point has been activated.

The fire alarm is ... well you'd know if you've ever been involved
when one goes off.

--
Nick
Old July 17th 11, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:18:35 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011, D7666 remarked:
You know it's the fire alarm I suppose? Why did it stop - probably
because someone reset whatever was causing the false alarm.

No its is not the fire alarm.

Inspector Sands is an alert (or alarm if you must) to advise station
staff that a fire alarm point has been activated.

The difference between a fire alarm and a notification that a fire alarm
has been activated is so small that it beggars belief.

I presume what you really meant, was to try to differentiate between a
fire alarm and a call to evacuate public from the premises. The latter
might be for other reasons than a fire, of course.

Just to try to sort out the various nuances, I've been in several
central London (usually government) premises where an alarm has sounded
which has specifically asked for the premises not to be evacuated [yet].
While they decide if it's necessary.
Old July 17th 11, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 17, 2:32*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

No its is not the fire alarm.

Inspector Sands is an alert (or alarm if you must) to advise station
staff that a fire alarm point has been activated.

The difference between a fire alarm and a notification that a fire alarm
has been activated is so small that it beggars belief.

No it is not.

As I am one who has been trained, certified, and hold currently the
relevant licences to work on a underground station, I know exactly
what I am talking about.

There is a /significant/ difference between how alert notification
and fire alarm is dealt with.

I presume what you really meant, was to try to differentiate between a
fire alarm and a call to evacuate public from the premises.

You presume wrong then.

--
Nick
Old July 17th 11, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:50:40 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011, D7666 remarked:
On Jul 17, 2:32*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

No its is not the fire alarm.

Inspector Sands is an alert (or alarm if you must) to advise station
staff that a fire alarm point has been activated.

The difference between a fire alarm and a notification that a fire alarm
has been activated is so small that it beggars belief.

No it is not.

Oh, I see. A fire alarm is a bit of equipment, that spends most of its
time not being alarming.

Meanwhile, a fire alarm "sounding" is often abbreviated to "a fire
alarm". Or as you have earlier called it a "fire alert".

Inspector Sands is a "Fire alarm, alerting staff", is that good enough?

I presume what you really meant, was to try to differentiate between a
fire alarm and a call to evacuate public from the premises.

You presume wrong then.

OK, I've taken that into account above.
Old July 17th 11, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 17, 3:31*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

Inspector Sands is an alert (or alarm if you must) to advise station
staff that a fire alarm point has been activated.

No it is not.

Meanwhile, a fire alarm "sounding" is often abbreviated to "a fire
alarm". Or as you have earlier called it a "fire alert".

NO I DID NOT.

I said alert. Not fire alert.

At no point did I ever say fire alert.

And this is exactly where you have got this wrong.

--
Nick