Old January 15th 16, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Inspector Sands and his pals

I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other coded
PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...now-about.html

Old January 15th 16, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:05:33 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other coded

I always assumed it was because in times past they'd chuck the sand bucket on
a fire. I'm fairly sure I remember one being in a lot of stations when I was
a kid.

--
Spud

Old January 15th 16, 09:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/01/16 09:05, Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other coded
PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...now-about.html

In true Telegraph style, some of that is trivial:

"Hot bit - The heated part of an in-flight meal."

and some is just plain wrong:

"Flight level - "A fancy way of telling you how many thousands of feet
you are above sea level. Just add a couple of zeroes. Flight level
three-three zero is 33,000 feet.""

Why should any of the rest of it be trustworthy?

Ian

Old January 15th 16, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15/01/16 09:05, Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other coded
PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...now-about.html

In true Telegraph style, some of that is trivial:

"Hot bit - The heated part of an in-flight meal."

and some is just plain wrong:

"Flight level - "A fancy way of telling you how many thousands of feet
you are above sea level. Just add a couple of zeroes. Flight level
three-three zero is 33,000 feet.""

Is that wrong? [Yes, I know it's the barometric altitude, but that's not
something that's normally mentioned.]

Old January 15th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other coded
PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

Some years ago I knew some chaps who worked as cinema
projectionists. Their emergency protocol was, apparently, white
screen and play "Run Rabbit Run". I don't think it was ever
needed.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old January 15th 16, 11:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
NY NY is offline

"Recliner" wrote in message
The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15/01/16 09:05, Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never
knew
where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the other
coded
PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...now-about.html

In true Telegraph style, some of that is trivial:

"Hot bit - The heated part of an in-flight meal."

and some is just plain wrong:

"Flight level - "A fancy way of telling you how many thousands of feet
you are above sea level. Just add a couple of zeroes. Flight level
three-three zero is 33,000 feet.""

Is that wrong? [Yes, I know it's the barometric altitude, but that's not
something that's normally mentioned.]

It's inconsistent between the general statement (which refers to thousands
of feet) and the specific example (which implies hundreds of feet). The
latter is correct: you multiply a flight level by one *hundred* to give the
height in feet.

Old January 15th 16, 11:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/01/16 10:45, Recliner wrote:
The Real Doctor wrote:

"Flight level - "A fancy way of telling you how many thousands of feet
you are above sea level. Just add a couple of zeroes. Flight level
three-three zero is 33,000 feet.""

Is that wrong? [Yes, I know it's the barometric altitude, but that's not
something that's normally mentioned.]

Flight levels are done with the altimeter at 1013hPa, and since the
actual pressure at sea level can be +/- 50hPa and atmospheric pressure
changes at ~30 feet per hPa, FL250 (say) could be anything from 23,500 -
26,500 feet above sea level. Things have hit other things because they
got this wrong.

Ian