Old January 11th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Inspector Sands

Was on the Piccadilly pulling away from South Kensington
this afternoon around 12:15, and Inspector Sands was getting
a call -- anyone know why?

Old January 11th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Henry
writes
Was on the Piccadilly pulling away from South Kensington
this afternoon around 12:15, and Inspector Sands was getting
a call -- anyone know why?

First level fire alarm - second level goes into full evacuation mode.
Old January 11th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Henry wrote:
Was on the Piccadilly pulling away from South Kensington
this afternoon around 12:15, and Inspector Sands was getting
a call -- anyone know why?

He gets about a lot (or is it a woman?!) and so they probably need to
call out every now and then to check (s)he's not skiving in Starbucks
or McDonalds... To keep him, or her, on their toes they'll also request
they go to different parts of the station.

Jonathan

Old January 11th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Henry wrote:
Was on the Piccadilly pulling away from South Kensington
this afternoon around 12:15, and Inspector Sands was getting
a call -- anyone know why?

He gets about a lot (or is it a woman?!) and so they probably need to
call out every now and then to check (s)he's not skiving in Starbucks
or McDonalds... To keep him, or her, on their toes they'll also request
they go to different parts of the station.

Jonathan

He works at Wembley Park as well.

Old January 11th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
ups.com...

He gets about a lot (or is it a woman?!) and so they probably need to
call out every now and then to check (s)he's not skiving in Starbucks
or McDonalds... To keep him, or her, on their toes they'll also request
they go to different parts of the station.

LOL!

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqu...-22390,00.html

"I am an inspector at several places throughout London. As I am a little
absent-minded I often forget my sandwiches. My wife will often drop them
off for me and this is then announced on the tannoy." (Johnathan Sands
(Inspector), London)

Ian

Old January 11th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The last Inspector on LUL after Station Inspectors, Trainmen's
Inspectors and Travelling Ticket Inspectors grades were
downgraded/abolished!

Old January 12th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqu...-22390,00.html

"I am an inspector at several places throughout London. As I am a little
absent-minded I often forget my sandwiches. My wife will often drop them
off for me and this is then announced on the tannoy." (Johnathan Sands
(Inspector), London)

Ian

And also from that Guardian Notes and Queries page this somewhat less
prosaic but also what I suspect to be somewhat closer to the truth
answer:

-----
One slightly anal point. It's not to warn that there is a fire, it's to
warn that a fire call point has been activated. Nine times out of ten
they are false alarms, either activated by someone 'for a lark', or set
off because of high amounts of dust in the atmosphere (this is more
prevalent since the at King's Cross since the refurbishments started)
If there is an actual fire, you won't hear the 'Inspector Sands'
message, you will hear "due to a reported emergency, will all
passengers please leave the station immediately."

John Porter, London
-----

I don't know what the specific procedure is with regards to fire alerts
and evacuating Underground stations - perhaps someone who does know
might like to enlighten us - but I am certain that if there is any real
fire risk then the station is evacuated. After the Kings Cross fire of
1987 fire safety procedures on the Tube were very considerably
tightened and are followed rigorously. So merely hearing an Inspector
Sands announcement doesn't mean it's time to panic!

Old January 12th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
-----
One slightly anal point. It's not to warn that there is a fire, it's to
warn that a fire call point has been activated.

Indeed. Last year, I seem to recall they tested the fire alarms at 10am
every day. Usually the same location (I forget which platform it said)
too. Or maybe it was one person triggering it deliberately after
his/her train arrived.

Jonathan

Old January 12th 07, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
-----
One slightly anal point. It's not to warn that there is a fire, it's to
warn that a fire call point has been activated.

Indeed. Last year, I seem to recall they tested the fire alarms at 10am
every day. Usually the same location (I forget which platform it said)
too. Or maybe it was one person triggering it deliberately after
his/her train arrived.

Jonathan

I do know of someone who, years ago, whilst "tired and emotional" and
wishing to head home in the early hours with their compadres who they
were unable to locate, set the fire alarm of at a student union venue
in order to facilitate meeting up with said companions outside the
building. An amusing tale, though thoroughly unsociable, and distinctly
not recommended - particularly so on the Underground!

Old January 12th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
ups.com...
snippitty
He gets about a lot (or is it a woman?!) and so they probably need to
call out every now and then to check (s)he's not skiving in Starbucks
or McDonalds...

Sssh, standard mobile DMT work pattern these days and we're trying to keep
it quiet...

--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.