Old January 1st 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Cards on buses - 50% failure rate?

It is just me or are half of the Oyster Card readers on buses faulty?

Gordo

--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......

Old January 2nd 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gordon Joly" wrote in message

It is just me or are half of the Oyster Card readers on buses faulty?

Gordo

--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......
http://www.loopzilla.org/.....

No - it's just you. Maybe you are meeting the same bus again & again.

From my experience it's about 1 in 15.

Colin

Old January 2nd 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Colin wrote:

"Gordon Joly" wrote in message

It is just me or are half of the Oyster Card readers on buses faulty?

Gordo

--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......
http://www.loopzilla.org/.....

No - it's just you. Maybe you are meeting the same bus again & again.

From my experience it's about 1 in 15.

Colin

In a sample space of 2 buses today (both 277) one working reader and
one "faulty" reader.

Gordo
--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......

Old January 3rd 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ishmael Sayle III wrote:
Maybe it's the Lynx effect!

Ah yes, oyster fragrance Lynx - our cat loves it :-)
--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Old January 3rd 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:09:35 +0000 (UTC), (Gordon
Joly) wrote:

In article ,
Colin wrote:

"Gordon Joly" wrote in message

It is just me or are half of the Oyster Card readers on buses faulty?

Gordo

--
This is not my sig nature.....
gordo AT loop zilla.org.......
http://www.loopzilla.org/.....

No - it's just you. Maybe you are meeting the same bus again & again.

From my experience it's about 1 in 15.

Colin

In a sample space of 2 buses today (both 277) one working reader and
one "faulty" reader.

Gordo

2? Have you heard of the concept of statistical significance?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old January 4th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Gordon Joly wrote:

It is just me or are half of the Oyster Card readers on buses faulty?

ALL of the readers on the Armchair-run 209 route from Mortlake to
Hammersmith are faulty - every time I attempt to use my perfectly valid
Oystercard on the route it beeps in error yet flashes up the message
"Oystercards are valid for travel THROUGHOUT this route". Most of the
time the driver lets me on but sometimes they flat refuse to as it's
technically an error.

I rang the helpline today and they say that the error code that is
printed out indicates that the reader is still in test mode, whatever
that means. It's bloody annoying.

On another note, a driver on the 419 route from Hammersmith to Richmond
yesterday tried to tell me that all Travelcards were not valid for all
bus travel in London, regardless of their zones. I pointed out he was
completely wrong, and he let me travel after a small amount of polite
argument. But still.. I shouldn't have to endure this kind of hassle
every time I want to get home.

G.

Old January 4th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message om,
Grendel writes
[...]

On another note, a driver on the 419 route from Hammersmith to Richmond
yesterday tried to tell me that all Travelcards were not valid for all
bus travel in London, regardless of their zones. I pointed out he was
completely wrong, and he let me travel after a small amount of polite
argument. But still.. I shouldn't have to endure this kind of hassle
every time I want to get home.

You are quite right, you shouldn't!
Travel-cards for any zone combination have been valid on all bus routes
(with a few exceptions) since summer 2002 IIRC
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 4th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:54:42 +0000, Kat
wrote:

In message om,
Grendel writes
[...]

On another note, a driver on the 419 route from Hammersmith to Richmond
yesterday tried to tell me that all Travelcards were not valid for all
bus travel in London, regardless of their zones. I pointed out he was
completely wrong, and he let me travel after a small amount of polite
argument. But still.. I shouldn't have to endure this kind of hassle
every time I want to get home.

You are quite right, you shouldn't!
Travel-cards for any zone combination have been valid on all bus routes
(with a few exceptions) since summer 2002 IIRC

Jan 02.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk