Old March 17th 10, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default River services - at a rate of knots

The Policy Exchange document on river services, At a Rate of Knots -
led by Andrew Gilligan - has been thrown overboard by TfL as
impractical and unaffordable.

Since there are still people around who think I'm a polite sort of chap
I'll spare you my own views, and simply point anyone interested at a
more respectable comment:

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2010/03/...=Google+Reader

With

that nonsense out of the way, time to focus on other possible
improvements to river services for work and leisure travel: the Mayor's
River Concordat is already making progress.

Maybe we should take a cue from the old ad for an extra-terrestrial
chocolate bar: a boat trip a day helps you work, rest and play!

Ken
--
Writer / editor on London's River

Old March 17th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bearded wrote:
The Policy Exchange document on river services, At a Rate of Knots - led
by Andrew Gilligan - has been thrown overboard by TfL as impractical and
unaffordable.

Since there are still people around who think I'm a polite sort of chap
I'll spare you my own views, and simply point anyone interested at a
more respectable comment:

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2010/03/...=Google+Reader

I'm insulted. No one's ever called me respectable before...

Possibly the only thing in AAROK that's worthwhile is the idea of
centralising control of river services with TfL, as evidenced by
yesterday's sudden closure of Greenland Pier by Southwark Council for
emergency repairs. However, this sits rather uneasily with the current
Mayor's view that the the boroughs are best placed to deal with things,
and should be left to get on with it.

Another thing that comes out of the TfL response is that river service
patronage has gone up faster than cycling over the last few years, which
also doesn't argue for a massive transfer of subsidy across from buses.

Tom