Old August 4th 11, 07:59 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Google maps now helps navigate London Underground

On Jul 30, 6:42*am, JaxGoogle wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways.
It gave me a route from Bognor Regis to London completely by local
buses.

Old August 4th 11, 09:09 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
00:59:07 on Thu, 4 Aug 2011, 1506 remarked:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways.
It gave me a route from Bognor Regis to London completely by local
buses.

I tried it the other day, and it's a bit biassed towards walking. While
this may result in the quickest journey time, it's a bit unusual, given
the amount of public transport in London, to be told to walk (eg) half a
mile to a tube station with a direct train, rather than go to the
nearest and change.
Old August 4th 11, 10:56 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message
,
at 00:59:07 on Thu, 4 Aug 2011, 1506 remarked:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways.
It gave me a route from Bognor Regis to London completely by local
buses.

I tried it the other day, and it's a bit biassed towards walking. While
this may result in the quickest journey time, it's a bit unusual, given
the amount of public transport in London, to be told to walk (eg) half a
mile to a tube station with a direct train, rather than go to the
nearest and change.

In that case I approve!
Old August 4th 11, 11:24 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

1506 wrote on 04 August 2011 08:59:07 ...
On Jul 30, 6:42 am, wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways.

.... which is ironic, as the map often ignores Underground lines when
they're above ground, e.g. the District/Piccadilly west of Hammersmith,
but shows mainline railways including those in tunnel. I've had several
attempts to persuade Tele-Atlas to show above-ground Underground lines,
without success so far.

--
Richard J.
Old August 4th 11, 02:08 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:59:07 -0700, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 30, 6:42Â*am, JaxGoogle wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways. It
gave me a route from Bognor Regis to London completely by local buses.

Yes, it just tried to send me from Bourne to Nottingham without any rail
at all. All bus. I'd go to Stamford or Sleaford and then by train given
half a chance.

Old August 4th 11, 03:39 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Bob Harvey" wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:59:07 -0700, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 30, 6:42 am, JaxGoogle wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/?dirflg=r&f...United+Kingdom

Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline railways. It
gave me a route from Bognor Regis to London completely by local buses.

Yes, it just tried to send me from Bourne to Nottingham without any rail
at all. All bus. I'd go to Stamford or Sleaford and then by train given
half a chance.

This'll be about data - bus and TfL (Tube etc) timetables are freely made
available as open data, whilst the TOCs aren't willing to share.

Old August 4th 11, 05:11 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 00:59:07 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:
Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline

railways.

Indeed, it doesn't have the data. But I find it particularly useful
for "get me home" type searches locally. The addition of rail data
would be a real advantage.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old August 4th 11, 05:13 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:56:54 +0100, "Mizter T"
wrote:
In that case I approve!

Indeed. Often the most sensible station is not the nearest one.

A London example is for the area around the Tower, where if you want
a station on the northern part of the Circle a walk to Aldgate is
often a good choice due to the high frequency of Met vs Circle
trains.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old August 5th 11, 01:02 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams wrote

wrote:
Interesting addition to Google, it seems to ignore mainline

railways.

Indeed, it doesn't have the data. But I find it particularly useful
for "get me home" type searches locally. The addition of rail data
would be a real advantage.

Have you tried Transport Direct ?
It has both bus and rail.

http://www.transportdirect.info/Tran...Planning/Journ
eyPlannerInput.aspx?cacheparam=4#RouteOptions

It's the South East JP that I usually use.
http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk...?language=en&t
imeOffset=15

I just tested it for a Milton Keynes to Southwell (Notts) journey which
it didn't consider outside its area and which finishes (and can start)
with a bus.

It also works on the browser of a 3G Kindle.

--
Mike D

Old August 5th 11, 06:45 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 5 Aug 2011 01:02:33 GMT, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:
It also works on the browser of a 3G Kindle.

But badly on a smartphone compared with Google Maps.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK