Old August 18th 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stadler's won the tender to provide six new trams for Croydon area

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...v/2011/08.html

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

Old August 18th 11, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 18, 3:20*pm, Tristán White
wrote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...stadler-wins-l...

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but it's
still surely something they would have hoped to win - Bombardier made
the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?
Old August 18th 11, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...stadler-wins-l...

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which
Croydon Council contributes £3m.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but it's
still surely something they would have hoped to win - Bombardier made
the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?

Yes, but in Vienna, not Derby.

Old August 18th 11, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trist=E1n_White?= wrote:
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but it's
still surely something they would have hoped to win - Bombardier made
the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?

I wouldn't be surprised if the endless problems with the introduction of the
new victoria line stock due to inadequate testing hasn't helped Bombadiers
case in recent bids.

B2003

Old August 18th 11, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trist=E1n_White?= wrote:
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but
it's still surely something they would have hoped to win -
Bombardier made the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?

I wouldn't be surprised if the endless problems with the introduction
of the new victoria line stock due to inadequate testing hasn't
helped Bombadiers case in recent bids.

Not to mention late deliveries of most recent Electrostar orders and the
embarrassment over the supposed exhaust problems with the 172s.

Old August 18th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/08/2011 15:26, Tristán White wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:20 pm, Tristán
wrote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...stadler-wins-l...

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but it's
still surely something they would have hoped to win - Bombardier made
the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?

Yes, but did Bombardier even bid for this batch? They weren't on the
shortlist, which IIRC was Stadler, Pesa and CAF/Edinburgh (one careful
owner, never used, still in the box).

Maybe they don't like such tiny orders, which is more Stadler's line.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 18th 11, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stadler's won the tender to provide six new trams for Croydon

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

On 18/08/2011 15:26, Tristán White wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:20 pm, Tristán wrote:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...stadler-wins-l.
..
Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot to add, it's another kick
in the teeth for Bombardier. OK, this is nowhere near as lucrative a
project as the Thameslink one, which was lost out to Siemens, but it's
still surely something they would have hoped to win - Bombardier made
the current Croydon tram stock, didn't they?

Yes, but did Bombardier even bid for this batch? They weren't on the
shortlist, which IIRC was Stadler, Pesa and CAF/Edinburgh (one
careful owner, never used, still in the box).

Maybe they don't like such tiny orders, which is more Stadler's line.

Edinburgh will be disappointed then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 19th 11, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
Tristán White writes
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...dler-wins-lond
on-tramlink-tram-order/archiv/2011/08.html

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

So they're using them where they are least needed then.
..
--
Ken
Old August 19th 11, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/08/2011 17:51, Ken wrote:
In article
,
Tristán White writes
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...dler-wins-lond
on-tramlink-tram-order/archiv/2011/08.html

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

So they're using them where they are least needed then.

Surely they wouldn't be much good anywhere else in London?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 19th 11, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Arthur
Figgis writes
On 19/08/2011 17:51, Ken wrote:
In article
,
Tristán White writes
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...dler-wins-lond
on-tramlink-tram-order/archiv/2011/08.html

Swiss company Stadler's won the £16.3m contract, towards which Croydon
Council contributes £3m.

So they're using them where they are least needed then.

Surely they wouldn't be much good anywhere else in London?

What I meant was that they are putting the extra trams where they
already have a frequent service, rather than using them where there is
no service, or the service is infrequent.

--
Ken