Old August 26th 11, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default A less pleasant aspect of 'railway photography'?

On 26/08/11 10:13, d wrote:
So whats your solution then? Swing the pendulum so far the other way that
it alienates white heterosexuals?

You got any evidence that white heterosexuals as a group feel alienated
by tolerance of others?

Ian

Old August 26th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 02:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
1506 wrote:
But, why, I ask was the guys horrible death worse because he was
homosexual? Would you or I not have felt the blows just as much?

For some people it seems that suffering for what you are is a worse fate than
suffering for what you have. Presumably because you can change the latter
but not the former. Personally I think its a just a convenient soapbox for
self styled activists (ie people who make a lot of noise) who get off on self
righteous indignation to jump up and down and bang their drum.

B2003

Old August 26th 11, 10:11 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 25/08/2011 21:29, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In message
,
1506 wrote:
If I am mugged it is a crime. If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime.

False.

If a homosexual is mugged *because* she is homosexual, it is a hate
crime. If she is mugged because some low-life wants cash for his drug
habit, it is not a hate crime, just a crime.

Wasn't there a rule that the police have to investigate a crime as a
racist attack (or presumably later "hate" crime) if the victim believed
it to be one. They can then decide that it is not a racist/hate crime
but they have to investigate first.

Old August 26th 11, 10:28 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Aug 26, 2:54*am, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 26/08/11 10:31, 1506 wrote:

The guy was badly beaten. *And, IMHO, no-one should die like that.
There were no clues as to motive. *However, the young fellow in
question happened to be homosexual. *The case became a rallying point
for campaigners against hate crimes. *Homosexuals for hundreds of
miles around demanded hate crime legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard

But, why, I ask was the guys horrible death worse because he was
homosexual? *Would you or I not have felt the blows just as much?

His experience was no worse than yours or mine might have been. But the
fact that he was tortured to death for being gay /additionally/
threatened other gay people and it's for that /additional/ effect that
/additional/ punishment is merited.

IIRC There was no evidence with regard to motive.

Or at least, that's the theory. Seems OK to me.

It is nonsense. Until now, in civilized countries, we have tried
people for actions not thoughts and speech. Big Brother has arrived.

Old August 26th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 26/08/11 11:17, d wrote:
No , not whoosh and point not proved. Common sense is something you aquire
as you get older. Him trying to equate it with something being fixed when
young is plain wrong.

But that's not what he's saying.

Ian
Old August 26th 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 26/08/11 11:28, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 26, 2:54 am, The Real wrote:
On 26/08/11 10:31, 1506 wrote:

His experience was no worse than yours or mine might have been. But the
fact that he was tortured to death for being gay /additionally/
threatened other gay people and it's for that /additional/ effect that
/additional/ punishment is merited.

IIRC There was no evidence with regard to motive.

Or at least, that's the theory. Seems OK to me.

It is nonsense. Until now, in civilized countries, we have tried
people for actions not thoughts and speech. Big Brother has arrived.

Who said anything about trying people for their thoughts and speech?
It's the /action/ of putting people in a state of fear and distress
which is the potential crime, not the thought processes behind it.

There have long been criminal sanctions for making threats,
intimidation, threatening violence and so on.

Ian

PS I agree that we became more civilised when we stopped prosecuting
people for blasphemy.