Old August 26th 11, 08:22 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default A less pleasant aspect of 'railway photography'?

On 26/08/11 20:51, Arthur Figgis wrote:
Is the Guardian actually written (rather than read) by lentil-munchers?
On the admittedly rather small sample of a bloke I once a met on a
Eurostar and someone I knew at university, the Daily Mail isn't written
(entirely?) by foaming-at-the-mouth loonies in black shirts.

The Guardian is written by posh ex-public school types - and, of course,
their children. If there is one thing the Guardian does better than
dobbing in their sources, it's nepotism.

Here's the traditional list. You're not allowed to post it on the
Guardian's forums.

Editor Alan Rusbridger (Cranleigh); political editor Patrick Wintour
(Westminster); leader writer Madeleine Bunting (Queen Mary’s,
Yorkshire); policy editor Jonathan Freedland (University College
School); columnist Polly Toynbee (Badminton); executive editor Ian
Katz (University College School); security affairs editor Richard
Norton Taylor (King’s School, Canterbury); arts editor-in-chief Clare
Margetson (Marlborough College); literary editor Clare Armitstead
(Bedales); public services editor David Brindle (Bablake); city editor
Julia Finch (King’s High, Warwick).; environment editor John Vidal (St
Bees); fashion editor Jess Cartner-Morley (City of london School for
Girls); G3 editor Janine Gibson (Walthamstow Hall); northern editor
Martin Wainwright (Shreswbury); and industrial editor David Gow (St
Peter’s, York); Seumas Milne, an Old Wykehamist (Winchester College)
and at Balliol; the Observer’s Andrew Rawnsley (Rugby School and
Cambridge U); George Monbiot (Stowe); Zoe Williams (Godolphin and
Latymer)

(From
http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2008/05...ivate-schools/)

Ian

Old August 26th 11, 08:57 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , Arthur
Figgis wrote:
If a homosexual is mugged *because* she is homosexual, it is a hate
crime. If she is mugged because some low-life wants cash for his drug
habit, it is not a hate crime, just a crime.

What happens if she believes it was because she is homosexual, but the
mugger disagrees? What standard of proof is needed?

Since we're talking criminal law, "beyond all reasonable doubt".

IANAL, but I'm slightly uncomfortable with some classes of victims
being told their incident is "just" a crime.

I didn't mean "just" in that sense, only in the grammatical sense.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old August 26th 11, 10:27 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Is that a deity joke?

Allah be here all week, folks.

God forbid!

That's the holy spirit!

Saints preserve us!

--
Cheers
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old August 26th 11, 10:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Is that a deity joke?

Allah be here all week, folks.

God forbid!

That's the holy spirit!

Amen!

Or, in this PC world, "Awoman!" or probably more correctly, "Aperson"!

Old August 26th 11, 10:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

And why should they be protected for being offended? How far should we
take any "right" not be offended - banning Class 66s, models of the Great
Western Railway or looking at Middlesbrough?

You have a good case for all of the above, especially the GWR.

Old August 27th 11, 02:21 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 04:44:43 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On Aug 26, 4:31*am, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 26/08/11 12:28, 1506 wrote:

Moreover terrorism is an act of war which demands a swift, firm,
military response. *Describing it as a crime and involving the courts
is a big mistake. *IMHO we have spent the past ten years being far too
soft in this regard.

Yeah, it worked sooooo well in Norn Iron, didn't it?

Northern Ireland is not the Middle East.

You mean there aren't any troubles involving populations imported from
elsewhere ?

Don't these pernickety, politically correct, lefties get to be
irritating? *I am about ready to kill file the doc. *Debating him is
like nailing jelly to a tree.

Diddums.

Before I do killfile you, Are you, or have you ever been a homosexual?

Old August 27th 11, 04:34 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:16:17 -0700, "Roger Traviss"
wrote:

If I am mugged it is a crime. If a homosexual is mugged it is a hate
crime.

Er, and what if someone is "mugged" simply because one is "perceived
to be Queer".

No, in both cases, no matter what the reason for the assault, it's still an
"assault" and should NOT be tagged one way or the other.

Yes, assaulting someone because of their perceived sexuality is wrong but so
is assaulting somebody because they are wearing the "wrong" hockey club
sweater, or look different, or are the "wrong" religion or the "wrong ethnic
group or the wrong whatever. One assault is no more serious than the other.
It's still an assault and any assault, no matter the motivation, should be
punished equally.

Er, unfortunately, your "hetero-view" of the world doesn't quite work
out so nicely and neatly.

Anyone "of colour" will confirm the reality of life. And no, no,
don't say we're all (Gays/Blacks/others) whingeing.

It happens day in, day out.

A study released in Metro Vancouver just today (Fri 26
Aug) shows Gay couples and single parents are discriminated against
"simply because..." in the rental housing field.
Old August 27th 11, 07:09 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Who gives a flying ****

Someone who's joined the 'mile-high club', presumably!

what you personally think about veiled women? Do you have the same
antipathy to veiled nuns,

who do at least still leave their faces exposed.

Envo

Old August 27th 11, 01:33 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 26/08/11 12:48, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 26, 4:20 am, The Real wrote:

Why would I want to do that?

You're the one who like blasphemy. Oh silly me, Islam is politically
correct, Judaism and Christianity are not. Consistent as always, you
lefties.

Who said I liked blasphemy? I only said it was a good thing we didn't
prosecute people for it any more. Since you don't like the idea of
thought crimes, I thought you'd agree.

As far as Christianity, Judaism and Islam go ... well, I'm with Marcus
Brigstocke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42p2SO5wQag

Brilliant!

Thanks for posting that.

--
- The Iron Jelloid
Old August 27th 11, 03:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 20:51:28 +0100
Arthur Figgis wrote:
I suspect most of the Mail and Guardian journalists could switch papers
and re-slant their stories to suit the different audience with ease.

Yes, I'll give you that. I was thinking more of columnists like Toynbee
and Burchill rather than the day to day journos.

B2003