Old August 30th 11, 12:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 1506 and Boltar

On Aug 30, 12:06*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

BrianW wrote:
Incidentally, I like the insinuation that commercial solicitors (as
opposed, say, to human rights lawyers) are likely to be lefties. *Met
many?

I wasn't refering to your entire profession, just you.

Fair enough. Although I'm not sure why you think I'm a lefty/

Old August 30th 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:36:36 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
True, but its unlikely to happen. If brussels dropped its subsidies for all
european farmers the supermarkets would have no choice to pay the proper
price and the consumer would be no worse off - in theory - since what he

loses
in higher food prices he gains in lower taxes. Or at least thats how it would
work if Brussels were an honest open institution and not a bunch of lazy
money grabbing incompetents.

Have you been in a supermarket lately and seen where they source their
fresh produce from?

I'm talking about staple foods , not mung beans or couscous or whatever. They
can't get all their milk, wheat, potatoes etc from guatamala. Even new zealand
lamb is seasonal.

B2003

Old August 30th 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme wrote:
True, but its unlikely to happen. If brussels dropped its subsidies for all
european farmers the supermarkets would have no choice to pay the proper
price and the consumer would be no worse off - in theory - since what he

loses
in higher food prices he gains in lower taxes. Or at least thats how it would
work if Brussels were an honest open institution and not a bunch of lazy
money grabbing incompetents.

Have you been in a supermarket lately and seen where they source their
fresh produce from?

I'm talking about staple foods , not mung beans or couscous or whatever. They
can't get all their milk, wheat, potatoes etc from guatamala. Even new zealand
lamb is seasonal.

No problem getting wheat, potatoes or whatever from Guatamala or even
further afield. We used to get wheat from Argentina for instance and
that was before the container revolution. Milk can easily be sourced
from Eastern Europe for instance and lamb doesn't have to come from New
Zealand, again Argentina can supply.

As has been pointed out, the expensive bit of transporting goods is the
last few miles to the shops, getting it from the other side of the world
to Southampton or Felixstowe costs peanuts so British producers have no
advantage there.

Incidentally not being a trendy lefty like you, what are mung beans anyway?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old August 30th 11, 01:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 30, 11:55*am, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 30/08/11 11:48, wrote:

Because supermarkets won't pay them the real value of what they produce..
The farmers should call their bluff - then watch Tesco et al panic as they
try and source basic commodities for the entire country from abroad.

What have you got against the free market, comrade?

Hilarious, isn't it, how even the most rabid right-wingers can
suddenly go all lefty when the nasty realities of life intrude upon
their own pet concerns?

Old August 30th 11, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:18:06 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
No problem getting wheat, potatoes or whatever from Guatamala or even
further afield. We used to get wheat from Argentina for instance and
that was before the container revolution. Milk can easily be sourced
from Eastern Europe for instance and lamb doesn't have to come from New
Zealand, again Argentina can supply.

Eastern europe barely produces enough for itself these days and if the whole of
the EU suddenly sourced ALL its food from abroad , even assuming there was
enough spare, what do you think that would do to global prices? Suddenly that
lamb from argentina won't be available cheaper than local produce.

As has been pointed out, the expensive bit of transporting goods is the
last few miles to the shops, getting it from the other side of the world
to Southampton or Felixstowe costs peanuts so British producers have no
advantage there.

See above.

Incidentally not being a trendy lefty like you, what are mung beans anyway?

A disgusting legume only fit for trendies and animal feed.

B2003

Old August 30th 11, 01:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 06:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
BrianW wrote:
On Aug 30, 11:55=A0am, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 30/08/11 11:48, wrote:

Because supermarkets won't pay them the real value of what they produce=

..
The farmers should call their bluff - then watch Tesco et al panic as t=

hey
try and source basic commodities for the entire country from abroad.

What have you got against the free market, comrade?

Hilarious, isn't it, how even the most rabid right-wingers can
suddenly go all lefty when the nasty realities of life intrude upon
their own pet concerns?

Why? I have right wing social views but centre left economic views. I think
you'll find a lot of people fit that description. Many are the other way
around. If my attitude was f*ck everyone else, I just care about money
why would I give a toss about immigration or the effect it has?

B2003

Old August 30th 11, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:53:09 +0100
"Tim Fenton" wrote:
Bottlar, let me give you a little information. Ian isn't a student.

Well thats how he comes across so what does that say about him?

No, he sounds like he's enjoying himself immensely at the expense of a
clueless bigot who has difficulty expressing himself in written English.

"clueless bigot"? Is that really the best you can come up with after all this
time? Do try harder old chap. Water off a ducks back etc etc.

B2003

Old August 30th 11, 02:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30/08/11 14:50, BrianW wrote:

Hilarious, isn't it, how even the most rabid right-wingers can
suddenly go all lefty when the nasty realities of life intrude upon
their own pet concerns?

Oh yes indeed.

Ian
Old August 30th 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tim wrote:
Bottlar, let me give you a little information. Ian isn't a student.

Well thats how he comes across so what does that say about him?

That I get misunderstood by clueless bigots?

Ian