Old September 2nd 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stations overcrowding report finalised

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...

... Clapham Junction.

The problems on platform 2 are because the staircases up and down are
narrow, and there's some pointless buildings eating valuable platform
space.

The problems on platform 17 are because the staircases up and down are
even narrower and the platform is very narrow. The staircase problems
may be soluble, I doubt the platform problem is.

Having looked at the report in more detail now, I suspect Clapham Jn might
be one of many areas which hasn't been updated since the draft - the
Brighton Yard entrance seems to be described as if it is yet to happen...

I don't suppose they think of this as one of their more important reports...

Paul S

Old September 2nd 11, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes

The problems on platform 2 are because the staircases up and down are
narrow, and there's some pointless buildings eating valuable platform
space.

If nothing is done, I imagine the problems will become much worse when
the ELL starts using platform 2 next year.

--
Paul Terry
Old September 2nd 11, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2011 18:39, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Paul wrote

BBC report he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14744617

based on the full Network Rail report published yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/3uswno7

or he http://preview.tinyurl.com/3uswno7

At a total of 11 stations, therefore, it is recommended
that interventions are investigated to understand and
address crowding by the end of Control Period 5 (CP5)
in 2019. The stations are as follows:

Basingstoke, Bristol Parkway, Clapham Junction
Liverpool Lime Street, London Charing Cross
London Fenchurch Street, London Victoria
Preston, Surbiton, Watford Junction, Wimbledon

"that interventions are investigated"

perhaps "instigated" ?

What's current business school jargon for investigate and fix ?

Most of Preston's problems could be eliminated by ensuring that 390's
are not diagrammed to use platforms 5 or 6. The narrow staircase from
these platforms and the adjacent section of the footbridge become
unpleasantly overcrowded when a Glasgow - Euston service arrives and
disgorges lots of passengers whilst dozens more are trying to catch the
train. There are very few problems of congestion when 390's use
Platforms 3 & 4. Reinstating Platform 7 for passenger use would also
ease congestion, if confined to use by 2 or 3 car trains.

Bevan

Old September 2nd 11, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 01:44:04PM +0100, Paul Scott wrote:

At a total of 11 stations, therefore, it is recommended
that interventions are investigated to understand and
address crowding by the end of Control Period 5 (CP5)
in 2019. The stations are as follows:

Basingstoke, Bristol Parkway, Clapham Junction
Liverpool Lime Street, London Charing Cross
London Fenchurch Street, London Victoria
Preston, Surbiton, Watford Junction, Wimbledon

Of those, the two I'm familiar with are Victoria and Clapham Junction.

I've never ever seen Basingstoke, Wimbledon or Surbiton anywhere near as
crowed as the tunnel at Clapham.

Perhaps I just go there at the wrong times

tim

Old September 3rd 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 2, 9:40*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 1, 9:57*pm, Bruce wrote:

That's a photo of the former terminus of the Mersey Railway that is no
longer used.

Er, not quite. *The former Mersey Railway platforms were rebuilt into
the Link platforms. *The old line towards James St is still there as a
stock-interchange line - look out to the left when leaving Central
northbound. *The "stub" at the other end was continued on and burrowed
up into the old Central high-level line towards St James (could do
with being reopened for the university, though possibly under a
different name) and Garston.

It's interesting that seemingly only one photo of things as they were
exists - that is I think the same one as found in my Merseyrail book
issued around the time of the rebuild.

The deep level platforms are indeed far more pleasant, though perhaps
a repanel to give them a more modern look might not be a bad idea.
But Low Level isn't nice, even though it *was* ripped out and
substantially altered (a new roof in parts, for instance, though it
still leaks!) when rebuilt in the 1970s. *I think it would have been
better either to roof it in properly and make it look like the Loop
platforms (or a faux-James St[1]) or to make it completely open to the
air, more like Conway Park, given that all that's on top of most of it
(barring the station building) is a car park.

[1] While James St is of similar vintage, the high curved roof, murals
and lighting style coupled with the slightly damp atmosphere make it
quite an impressive station, to me at least. *The problem with Central
Low Level is that it just feels like a 1970s bodge that had a lick of
paint once or twice.

Neil

Wasn't there an contractual issue with the original project? Something
like the contractor going bust or the tenders coming in way above the
authorised sum, meaning that the scope of works had to be cut back.

Old September 4th 11, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim...." wrote in message

| "David Cantrell" wrote in message
| k...
| On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 01:44:04PM +0100, Paul Scott wrote:
|
| At a total of 11 stations, therefore, it is recommended
| that interventions are investigated to understand and
| address crowding by the end of Control Period 5 (CP5)
| in 2019. The stations are as follows:
|
| Basingstoke, Bristol Parkway, Clapham Junction
| Liverpool Lime Street, London Charing Cross
| London Fenchurch Street, London Victoria
| Preston, Surbiton, Watford Junction, Wimbledon
|
| Of those, the two I'm familiar with are Victoria and Clapham Junction.
|
| I've never ever seen Basingstoke, Wimbledon or Surbiton anywhere near as
| crowed as the tunnel at Clapham.
|
| Perhaps I just go there at the wrong times
|
| tim

It doesn't seem that long ago that Charing Cross was refurbished and the
tracks across the rebuilt Hungerford Bridge relaid.
Bill

Old September 5th 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Robert Hampton" wrote in message
On 01/09/2011 13:57, Neil Williams wrote:

A better solution would be to rip it out and start again. Liverpool
Central is a nasty, damp rat-hole with a third-rate shopping centre on
top. Very much like New St without the diesel fumes, but in some ways
nastier.

I believe (nothing formally announced yet) that a rebuild of the station
is on the cards for next year, probably involving closure for several
months.

Announced today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-14779812

"Merseyrail said it would mean closing the station for four months between
April and August next year while the work was carried out."

Paul S

Old September 5th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sep 5, 11:47*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Merseyrail said it would mean closing the station for four months between
April and August next year while the work was carried out."

"Once complete, Liverpool Central station will have a refurbished
concourse area with natural light coming from the installation of a
clear glazed roof and glass external walls."

Sounds good. But what of the rotting, leaky platform level
infrastructure? One hopes they aren't just going to rebuild the
concourse and leave that as it is.

Neil
Old September 5th 11, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 03:14:42PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
The problems on platform 2 are because the staircases up and down are
narrow, and there's some pointless buildings eating valuable platform
space.

If nothing is done, I imagine the problems will become much worse when
the ELL starts using platform 2 next year.

I don't think it would be that bad actually, provided you don't get WLL
and ELL trains arriving at the same time - will the track layout even
allow that?

Another route down from the platform would be nice, and it could perhaps
be done with minimal disruption to the rest of the station if it just
drops down over the side of the viaduct.

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
-- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001
Old September 5th 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes
On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 03:14:42PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

If nothing is done, I imagine the problems will become much worse when
the ELL starts using platform 2 next year.

I don't think it would be that bad actually, provided you don't get WLL
and ELL trains arriving at the same time - will the track layout even
allow that?

Yes it will. The intention is that the WLL will terminate at the
Waterloo end of platform 2 (to become platform 2a), and the ELL will
terminate at the country end of platform 2 (to become platform 2b and
accessed via the currently unused central track between the platform 2
and 3 tracks).

Another route down from the platform would be nice, and it could perhaps
be done with minimal disruption to the rest of the station if it just
drops down over the side of the viaduct.

An exit chute with safety net might be fun
--
Paul Terry