Old September 6th 11, 12:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Countdown Regenerated...

On Sep 6, 12:44*am, Jamie Thompson wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:31*am, "Mizter T" wrote:
[snip]
I'm guessing you were looking at the Cambridge information via Traveline's
"NextBuses" interface at http://mytraveline.mobi, or is there another
interface?

The NextBuses service doesn't appear to be taking a live feed of the
Countdown information (yet) - it just shows the timetabled departures for
particular stops - nor does it appear to accept London bus stop codes (yet).

Oh my. Thank you for that! Works perfectly for my local stops

Though do be aware that it might just be timetabled running info, as
opposed to anything 'real time' (e.g. all TfL London bus routes only
show up as timetabled rather than real time info in NextBuses at the
mo).

Old September 7th 11, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote

The NextBuses service doesn't appear to be taking a live feed of

the
Countdown information (yet) - it just shows the timetabled

departures
for particular stops - nor does it appear to accept London bus stop

codes (yet).

I think it depends on what Real Time information is available. There

is a
mixture in Cambridge. Some buses show minutes to go, others

timetabled
departure times which means that late running buses without Real Time

information disappear when the due time passes.

Actually this can happen even when Real Time information is available
depending on what accuracy is assumed.

So if this is say 5 minutes a bus reported as 12 minutes late may
disappear 7 minutes after the time table time. A frantic shift to
request reporting at a stop further along the route will show the bus
again.
(observations using
http://nextbuses.mobi in North Surrey)

========
09:32 04/09/11
Nextbuses.mobi displayed next 458 to Kingston at Halfway Green W-O-T
"in 20 minutes".

09:37 458 arrived with internal display showing "wheatsheaf lane" (near
Staines/ Laleham and so yes, 20 minutes from where it actually was.).
========

The new "test" countdown system (both stops in Greater London) can give
up when a bus is still "due" at a previous stop and when it's too long
before the next bus (hourly 465 on Sunday).

http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/arrivals/47983

Woodbines Avenue (UN) @ 20:43 - Bus stop code 47983
towards SURBITON OR THAMES DITTON

Sorry no bus information is available for this stop. Please consult the
bus timetable or visit tfl.gov.uk

http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/arrivals/55881

East Lane (UM) @ 20:45 - Bus stop code 55881
towards SURBITON OR THAMES DITTON
Route To Time
465 Dorking due

Live Bus Departures
Buses departing from
East Lane (UM) @ 20:47 - Bus stop code 55881

--

No "feedback" link apparent so no idea if they want any.

--
Mike D

Old September 8th 11, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Mizter T wrote:

"Jamie Thompson" wrote:

On Sep 4, 11:59 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Also not sure what you mean about linking directly to a given bus stop
- you can bookmark each bus stop's individual page, and you can also
search for a specific bus stop using either the bus stop's name or
unique 5-digit code.

On the desktop version it's unfortunately all Javascript-heavy with no
real hyperlinks anywhere, so no pages to bookmark.

Not true, as Paul G has already pointed out - if you click on a
particular bus stop, then the bus stop's unique code will appear as part
of the URL in your browser's address bar (well it does for me)

Stops get a bookmarkable-ish URL, other things don't. However, using my
special web developer powers, i have also summoned this:

http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/

Which is a non-javascript version where all the URLs are lovely:

http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov....oud+green+road
http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov....ocation/483458
http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/arrivals/71018

There's also nothing stopping you using the mobile site from a desktop
browser:

http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/search...oud+green+road
http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/stopsNearLocation/483458
http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/arrivals/71018

I would guess from the URLs that the accessible and mobile sites are the
same engine with slightly different output.

tom

--
TORG GROWS TIRED OF OBEYING PUNY HUMANS. SOON TORG WILL BREAK FREE AND
CRUSH THEM WITH HIS METAL CLAWS. In the meantime, Torg enjoys making
Old September 9th 11, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote

Stops get a bookmarkable-ish URL, other things don't. However, using

my
special web developer powers, i have also summoned this:

http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/

Which is a non-javascript version where all [...]

Eh ?

A View Source seems to show lots of javascript.

All three versions are doing something my Kindle's browser doesn't like
which result in nothing I type into the search box appearing, indeed
this is also true of the site search box which works fine on other TfL
pages.

--
Mike D

Old September 10th 11, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote

Stops get a bookmarkable-ish URL, other things don't. However, using my
special web developer powers, i have also summoned this:

http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/

Which is a non-javascript version where all [...]

Eh ?

A View Source seems to show lots of javascript.

None of it essential. If you switch javascript off entirely, the
accessible site works perfectly (in Firefox on OS X and Linux, at least;
however, without javascript, it should be very portable).

All three versions are doing something my Kindle's browser doesn't like
which result in nothing I type into the search box appearing, indeed
this is also true of the site search box which works fine on other TfL
pages.

Interesting. Can you disable javascript? As i said, the accessible site
works perfectly without it on my browser, so there is a fighting chance it
will work on a Kindle. If a non-javascript site works on a desktop but not
a Kindle, that would be surprising and interesting. It would be worth
bringing to TfL's attention, although the Kindle might not be on their
list of supported browsers, even for the accessible site.

tom

--
The ultimate crime-based society is one where everyone is criminal and
no one is aware of the fact. -- J. G. Ballard, Cocaine Nights

Old September 10th 11, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote
[...]

the Kindel browser uses WebKit so results from Safari, Chrome and
Android would be of interest for the two site versions mentioned below

Yes, I can disable javascript on the Kindle browser and I was about to
type "it makes no difference" until I realised I had six tests to do.

So search text cannot be entered, javascript disabled or not, for :-
http://accessible.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/
http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/

But CAN be entered, javascript disabled or not, for :-
http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/

Which I thought I had tested.

Also at this point I found myself doing the same thing and getting
different results, since after the search I at first got an automatic
switch to the 'accessible' URL but after I had saved bus stops this no
longer happened. It then showed the saved stops while denying there
were any.

Thanks anyway.

--
Mike D

Old September 11th 11, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 9, 2:54*pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
[...]
All three versions are doing something my Kindle's browser doesn't like
which result in nothing I type into the search box appearing, indeed
this is also true of the site search box which works fine on other TfL
pages.

Meanwhile the m-prefixed mobile version works fantastically well
(considering) on a pre-historic Nokia.