Old October 3rd 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Default Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke

On Oct 3, 10:06*am, wrote:
Though I heard about this on LBC this morning too so I suspect it isn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-free-pedestr...
g-devout-Jews-cross-road.html

http://percyweller.wordpress.com/201...be-held-every-...

I would suggest that if these religious nutters really are so hamstrung by
their interpretation of their religion they just stay inside instead of
everyone else being inconvenienced - including probably the large number of
ordinary jews that live in that area.

B2003

I'm having a 'senior moment', although living for years in London I
cannot place Henley's corner, tried google maps but they think it's in
Canada, I remember junction A406 and A5 as Staples Corner (there used
to be a mattress factory there) Is it the junction at Stonebridge Park
just on the other side of the tracks from the Ace Cafe? if so where
was the Henleys (I presume Garage)?

Old October 3rd 11, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:29:11 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 07:15:00 -0400
The Revd wrote:
There's no such thing as an "ordinary jew". They're all irrational,

Ah, nothing like a nice bit of irony to cheer up a dull monday.

Dull Monday? I thought you dickheads were having a heat wave over
there.
Old October 3rd 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 04:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
NM wrote:
I'm having a 'senior moment', although living for years in London I
cannot place Henley's corner, tried google maps but they think it's in
Canada, I remember junction A406 and A5 as Staples Corner (there used
to be a mattress factory there) Is it the junction at Stonebridge Park
just on the other side of the tracks from the Ace Cafe? if so where
was the Henleys (I presume Garage)?

http://g.co/maps/4g944

No idea where the name came from.

B2003

Old October 3rd 11, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:59:29 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I think they're not supposed to *cause* work to be done, but can take
advantage of things that are happening anyway.

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday night,
headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a crowd of people
waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button, they were happy to
join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs an all-floors stopping
service on the Shabbat, but the others work normally. If a non-Jew like
me pressed the button for one of those lifts, they had no trouble taking
advantage of it. Apparently it's OK for non-Jews to cause work to be
done that benefits Jews, but not for those same Jews to cause it.

It's even OK to employ a "shabbos goy" to do things which they aren't
themselves allowed to do.

And, of course, the use of technology to circumvent the spirit of the
law while keeping to the letter of the law is also OK, as in the use
of ovens with 'shabbos' settings.

When all else fails, they set up an "eruv" like the one in Golders
Green where all kinds of shabbos violations are permissible within its
borders.
Old October 3rd 11, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message
, NM
writes
On Oct 3, 11:15*am, "Mortimer" wrote:

Anyone who puts religion *before* day-to-day living, and chooses to let it
rule their lives is a nutter. For me, religion is a servant, not a master.

For me religion is a delusion.

And for some delusion is a religion.
--
Bill

Old October 3rd 11, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote:

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday
night, headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a
crowd of people waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button,
they were happy to join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs
an all-floors stopping service on the Shabbat, but the others work
normally. If a non-Jew like me pressed the button for one of those
lifts, they had no trouble taking advantage of it. Apparently it's
OK for non-Jews to cause work to be done that benefits Jews, but not
for those same Jews to cause it.

It's even OK to employ a "shabbos goy" to do things which they aren't
themselves allowed to do.

Yes, I gather they employ Christian Palestinians in Jerusalem for such
tasks.

And, of course, the use of technology to circumvent the spirit of the
law while keeping to the letter of the law is also OK, as in the use
of ovens with 'shabbos' settings.

Yes, I was told about such devices -- eg, food warmers in hospitals
which are plugged into electrical sockets which periodically switch off
for a minute or so during the Shabbat. It's apparently OK to plug them
in when the light's off, knowing that it'll come on shortly to keep the
food warm. It seemed completely ridiculous.

When all else fails, they set up an "eruv" like the one in Golders
Green where all kinds of shabbos violations are permissible within its
borders.

I suppose it's much like playing a computer game -- one group comes up
with a set of bizarre, invented rules, that others then try to outsmart.
But they shouldn't be allowed to inflict their fantasies on others.

Old October 3rd 11, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

NM wrote:
I'm having a 'senior moment', although living for years in London I
cannot place Henley's corner, tried google maps but they think it's in
Canada, I remember junction A406 and A5 as Staples Corner (there used
to be a mattress factory there) Is it the junction at Stonebridge Park
just on the other side of the tracks from the Ace Cafe? if so where
was the Henleys (I presume Garage)?

http://g.co/maps/4g944

No idea where the name came from.

B2003

Thank you, all slipped back into place now, there was a garage on the
corner part of the Henleys chain, they may be still going, the last
one I remember was in Camden but I think that's now a supermarket.
Old October 3rd 11, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 03/10/2011 12:23, neill wrote:
On Oct 3, 12:09 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 3, 11:02 am, wrote:

This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Sweetcorn? I hope none of them are fitted with heart
pacemakers. :-)

I think the made-up religious rules are conveniently relaxed for
live-saving medical technology (Jerusalem hospital work seven-days a
week, after all) -- maybe someone should have deemed that pedestrian
crossing buttons come into this category? Of course, some Christian
nutters would rather die than accept a life-saving blood transfusion,
and they inflict this on their children, too.

I know a Jewish scholar who goes on at length about the ridiculous
interpretations put on Jewish Law regarding the Sabbath. The problem
seems to be that getting two individual rabbis, sects or synagogues to
agree on one point of law without generations of debate, is a bit like
herding cats. As he said to me one, if Jews followed the instructions
exactly, none of them would be able to go to synagogue on the Sabbath,
as they wouldn't be able to operate the door handle to get out of the
house.

Another silly thing is these instructions are "fences around the law" -
they're there to prevent you getting close to breaking the actual rules.
Old October 3rd 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"Recliner" wrote in message
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I think they're not supposed to *cause* work to be done, but can take
advantage of things that are happening anyway.

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday night,
headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a crowd of people
waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button, they were happy to
join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs an all-floors stopping
service on the Shabbat, but the others work normally. If a non-Jew like me
pressed the button for one of those lifts, they had no trouble taking
advantage of it.

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a floor!!
I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

Old October 3rd 11, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

GT wrote:

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a
floor!! I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

LOL, stylish.

--
Paul - xxx