Old March 14th 10, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Meeting someone at Heathrow - Where? correction to original question

I had the wrong terminals

Later this month I am flying to LHR from the US and my friend is
flying in from Saudi Arabia. Our planes are about an hour apart early
morning arrivals.

We come in at terminals3 and 4. My friend to termnal 3 and me to
terminal 4. I would like to minimize my walking

Where would be a good place to meet, especially where
there is a place to sit down (the hips are not working like they use
to). Neither of us is familiar with LHR. We want to take the
Piccadilly line to Russell Sq

Thanks to those who answered my earlier post

Thanks in advance

Old March 15th 10, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"joelpk" wrote in message
I had the wrong terminals

Later this month I am flying to LHR from the US and my friend is
flying in from Saudi Arabia. Our planes are about an hour apart early
morning arrivals.

We come in at terminals3 and 4. My friend to termnal 3 and me to
terminal 4. I would like to minimize my walking

Where would be a good place to meet, especially where
there is a place to sit down (the hips are not working like they use
to). Neither of us is familiar with LHR. We want to take the
Piccadilly line to Russell Sq

Thanks to those who answered my earlier post

Thanks in advance

Whatever happens - as there's no place in the middle for you to meet,
one of you is going to have to travel between the two terminals to
meet the other person.

As you're going to be using the Picadilly Line tube afterwards
the easiest way to do this would be to use the train as you can
buy a ticket to cover both journeys. There are escalators at both
stations.

The best thing would be for the first of you to arrive, to travel
to your friends terminal. As you should then be there in good time
for their arrival. And you could mabe arrange to meet at one
of the cafe's or restaurants in the arrivals area there.

There are various choices on here.

http://tinyurl.com/6nmgon

for -

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...t%5EEating+A-Z

Just select terminal, location, and category.

As the cafes and restaurants all have specific names there should be
no problem in obtaining directions to the exact spot. Which might
be a problem if you simply chose a general seating area.

michael adams

Probably the best plan would be for the person who's arriving first
to make their way to the terminal where their friend is due to arrive
and

Old March 15th 10, 05:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"joelpk" wrote in message
I had the wrong terminals

Later this month I am flying to LHR from the US and my friend is
flying in from Saudi Arabia. Our planes are about an hour apart early
morning arrivals.

We come in at terminals3 and 4. My friend to termnal 3 and me to
terminal 4. I would like to minimize my walking

Where would be a good place to meet, especially where
there is a place to sit down (the hips are not working like they use
to). Neither of us is familiar with LHR. We want to take the
Piccadilly line to Russell Sq

Thanks to those who answered my earlier post

Thanks in advance

T3 and T4 are well separated. To walk between the two would be a major
exercise, even if you wanted to. A map to help you visualise
http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/Heathrow/Heathrow%20downloads/Static%20files/Heathrow_Airport_Car_Parksl_JAN%202009.PDF
and the official website about getting between terminals
http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ETravel+ between+terminals/aedd3db5569a9110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

The good news is that transport inside the airport is free. So, it doesn't
matter whether you take the underground or Heathrow Connect or a bus between
terminals; it won't cost anything.

The Piccadilly line runs one way from T4 *to* T3 (part of the complex known
as the central area). To get from T3 to T4 via the Piccadilly means going
one station to Hatton Cross then getting a train back into the airport to
get to T4 *and* if you do that make sure you get the correct train from
Hatton Cross because some go to T4 and others to central area and T5. The
other way between the two is a conventional train known as "Heathrow
Connect" which runs between central area and T4 in both directions every 15
minutes. Once you get to central area station it's a bit of a hike to/from
T3.

I did mention buses but I don't really think they help but here's a map if
you want
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf

On the assumption you both have a cell phone I think what I'd do is have you
both arrive, clear customs and find somewhere to sit as soon as you can in
your respective terminal. Then establish communications and both head for
the underground (Piccadilly line). Buy your tickets to Russell Square.
The one at T4 gets into the very last coach of the train (or first it's
simply a case of establishing a rule you can both follow). The one at T3
goes to the correct end of the platform and waits. The one on the train
from T4 has to stand by a door (it's the next station) and when they open at
central area pop your head out so the other one knows where to get on (and
which train since there will be some coming from T4 and some from T5). Or
even the one on the train gets out, you meet on the platform, and get the
next train.

Old March 15th 10, 05:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:55:05 on Mon, 15 Mar
2010, michael adams remarked:
We come in at terminals3 and 4. My friend to termnal 3 and me to
terminal 4. I would like to minimize my walking

As you're going to be using the Picadilly Line tube afterwards
the easiest way to do this would be to use the train as you can
buy a ticket to cover both journeys. There are escalators at both
stations.

But you can't easily do T3-T4 on the Piccadilly. And T3 is a long way
from the station... almost impossibly so for someone with mobility
problems. The only answer that will work is to take a bus from T3-T4
[route 555, every 19 minutes, free], meet up at a designated point on
the arrivals concourse, then take the tube from there.

If the T3 arrivee is the one getting in an hour after T4, that will
delay things, so perhaps reverse the process - but that still leaves the
long walk to the T3 tube station.
Old March 15th 10, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
"joelpk" wrote in message
[...]

No, travel on LU between T4 and T3 is *not* free (if you leave the
station), and has been pointed out, the T123 Underground station is a
long way from the terminal. It would be much better to use the faster
Heathrow Connect link, which is free, and involves less walking. Or, as
you suggest, arrange to rendezvous in the T123 Underground station.

Old March 15th 10, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 15, 7:39*am, Roland Perry wrote:

But you can't easily do T3-T4 on the Piccadilly. And T3 is a long way
from the station... almost impossibly so for someone with mobility
problems. The only answer that will work is to take a bus from T3-T4
[route 555, every 19 minutes, free]

Every *19* minutes? Which muppet thought that up?

Neil
Old March 15th 10, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
"joelpk" wrote in message
[...]

You live and learn. But as you say, it doesn't change the idea of a
rendezvous on the platform of T123 (or whatever it's called at the moment).

Old March 15th 10, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:38:59 on Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Neil Williams
remarked:
But you can't easily do T3-T4 on the Piccadilly. And T3 is a long way
from the station... almost impossibly so for someone with mobility
problems. The only answer that will work is to take a bus from T3-T4
[route 555, every 19 minutes, free]

Every *19* minutes? Which muppet thought that up?

I don't know, but it's what the LHR official website says.
Old March 15th 10, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to all

Will the cellphones work in the underground stations and on the tube?

On Mar 15, 9:57*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in

Old March 15th 10, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Meeting someone at Heathrow - Where? correction to original

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
joelpk wrote:
Thanks to all

Will the cellphones work in the underground stations and on the tube?

Nope.

B2003