Old October 30th 11, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC Stitching Customers Up?

On Oct 30, 9:17*pm, wrote:
In article
,

(Dr. Sunil) wrote:
On Oct 30, 8:07*pm, wrote:
In article , (D A
Stocks) wrote:

"Robin9" wrote in message

'D A Stocks[_2_ Wrote:
;123973'] *Don't Southern run some 12-car trains as 4 x 3-car?

Yes, used to be quite common on Brighton fast services.

In the days of nationalised British Railways most Brighton fast
services were 12 car trains; and they didn't stop at Clapham
Junction either.

But they weren't 4 x 3-car, which was the question I was answering.

There were mixed 2, 3 and 4 car formations of SR slam-door stock, but
I don't know if it was possible to run more than 3 units coupled in
service ,,,

3 car SR units had disappeared by the time I was a lad.

There would have been some SR DEMUs well into the 90s, no? Off the top
of my head, the 204, 205 and 207s were all three-car.

And how many of them ran on London-Brighton services?

--
Colin Rosenstiel- Hide quoted text -

You just mentioned above "3-car SR units" - you didn't specify which
line!

Old October 31st 11, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
D A Stocks wrote:
"Robin9" wrote in message

'D A Stocks[_2_ Wrote:
;123973'] Don't Southern run some 12-car trains as 4 x 3-car?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Yes, used to be quite common on Brighton fast services.

--
DAS

In the days of nationalised British Railways most Brighton fast services
were 12 car trains; and they didn't stop at Clapham Junction either.

But they weren't 4 x 3-car, which was the question I was answering.

There were mixed 2, 3 and 4 car formations of SR slam-door stock, but I
don't know if it was possible to run more than 3 units coupled in service
,,,

I don't remember there being any restriction on that in control terms.
Up to about 1969/70, MLV+MLV+Cep+Bep+Cep was common on boat trains -
effectively five units. I think I recall workings later on such as
8Hap - four units. My early notebooks unfortunately didn't include
train formations.

X-post back to uk.r for more informed comment ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old October 31st 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Nick Leverton" wrote

I don't remember there being any restriction on that in control terms.
Up to about 1969/70, MLV+MLV+Cep+Bep+Cep was common on boat trains -
effectively five units. I think I recall workings later on such as
8Hap - four units. My early notebooks unfortunately didn't include
train formations.

I've got a note that I travelled on a 5 unit train, 0910 Charing Cross to
Folkestone, in 1971 orv 1972, 5x2HAP from Charing Cross, rear 4 detached at
Tonbridge. I also have a note of a 4-unit train in 1971, 0940 Victoria to
Ramsgate formed 2HAP, 2HAP, 4BEP, 4CEP, rear 4 detached at Faversham for
Dover.

Peter

Old October 31st 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Nick Leverton" wrote

I don't remember there being any restriction on that in control terms.
Up to about 1969/70, MLV+MLV+Cep+Bep+Cep was common on boat trains -
effectively five units. I think I recall workings later on such as
8Hap - four units. My early notebooks unfortunately didn't include
train formations.

I've got a note that I travelled on a 5 unit train, 0910 Charing Cross to
Folkestone, in 1971 orv 1972, 5x2HAP from Charing Cross, rear 4 detached
at Tonbridge. I also have a note of a 4-unit train in 1971, 0940 Victoria
to Ramsgate formed 2HAP, 2HAP, 4BEP, 4CEP, rear 4 detached at Faversham
for Dover.

Peter

10 car EPB formations formed entirely of two car sets were not unusual in
the last few months, especially once the Selhurst units moved to Slade Green
sending many of the unrefurbished four car sets for scrap.

John

Old October 31st 11, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 12:16*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Nick Leverton" wrote

I don't remember there being any restriction on that in control terms.
Up to about 1969/70, MLV+MLV+Cep+Bep+Cep was common on boat trains -
effectively five units. *I think I recall workings later on such as
8Hap - four units. *My early notebooks unfortunately didn't include
train formations.

I've got a note that I travelled on a 5 unit train, 0910 Charing Cross to
Folkestone, in 1971 orv 1972, 5x2HAP from Charing Cross, rear 4 detached at
Tonbridge. I also have a note of a 4-unit train in 1971, 0940 Victoria to
Ramsgate formed 2HAP, 2HAP, 4BEP, 4CEP, rear 4 detached at Faversham for
Dover.

Peter

ISTR a 6x2HAP in the 1983/84 timetable which was an evening rush hour
train from Waterloo to Basingstoke/Alton, splitting at Woking, half
going to each destination.

Nick
Old October 31st 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 6:04*pm, Nick wrote:
[...]

Looking at my 1984 copy of "Southern Region Multiple Unit Trains",
published by the SEG, all EMUs were allocated a Traction Motor Index,
usually equivalent to the number of traction motors in a unit, and the
maximum TMI allowed was 16. So a 16-car formation of any units apart
from 4REPs would have been permissible. TMIs that did not correspond
to the number of vehicles or for locos etc were (as quoted in the
book):

4REP 14
Class 73 8
GLV 2
MLV 2 (this is not quoted but is my belief).