Old November 23rd 11, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Victoria Line Car Numbers

Yet another lengthened journey home tonight thanks to problems with
"over sensitive" doors on the Victoria Line. Driver regularly announcing
passengers to keep clear which when you've got delays in the peak is not
always that easy. On this occasion the driver announced something
trapped in doors of car 4, then later on, in car 3. I doubt for one
minute many passengers in the middle of a train would know which car
they are in the first place. From what I gather 1 is the front, 8 at the
rear.

So as they aren't numbered within the cars, what is the point of
announcing a specific car number?

(Thinking about it they could incorporate the car number into the
display inside, Southern manage to on class 377s)

--
Phil Richards
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philstephenrichards

Old November 23rd 11, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Phil Richards wrote:
So as they aren't numbered within the cars, what is the point of
announcing a specific car number?

It may be aimed at the platform staff (who might then be able to help
more easily).

--
Mike Bristow
Old November 23rd 11, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Phil Richards
wrote:
Yet another lengthened journey home tonight thanks to problems with
"over sensitive" doors on the Victoria Line. [...]

FWIW there was also a "person under a train incident" on the Vic line
(at Euston?) this evening which obviously led to delays and disruption.
Old November 24th 11, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 23/11/2011 23:57, Mizter T wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:17 pm, Phil
wrote:
Yet another lengthened journey home tonight thanks to problems with
"over sensitive" doors on the Victoria Line. [...]

FWIW there was also a "person under a train incident" on the Vic line
(at Euston?) this evening which obviously led to delays and disruption.

Thanks, I know all that - there were notices and announcements to the
effect. I've still put in for a delay claim most of which was attributed
to the "sensitive door" faff we endured at at least three stations.

Old November 24th 11, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I too was caught up in the Victoria Line chaos last night. My journey
was from Wimbledon to New Barnet - train to Vauxhall, VL to Highbury
then train to New Barnet. Made it as far as Pimlico, when the VL train
stopped interminably in the platform. I crossed over, got a s/b train
to Stockwell, Northern line to Moorgate then train home, arriving
about 40 minutes late.

Don't know what happened, but if it was a 'person under a train' then
for once I don't blame TfL. But why could the disruption not have
been announced on the South Eastern train at Vauxhall? After all, lots
of people make the same interchange, and staff at Vauxhall must have
known what was going on. Then I could have stayed on the train to
Waterloo and avoided the VL altogether.

A bit of joined up thinking is all it needs - is that too much to ask
of our fragmented transport system?

Peter

Old November 24th 11, 07:59 AM
Junior Member

classic cars for sale
When it comes time to buy a automobile many people are selecting to get utilized rather than brand new. With the downturn in the financial system and numerous folks out of operate, it would seem that a lot more and a lot more men and women are obtaining methods to conserve extra cash.

One way in which individuals have located to conserve a considerable amount of cash is to purchase a utilised vehicle when it comes time to replace their current vehicle. Some people have even selected to sell their automobiles that price too considerably to fuel and decide on a automobile that gets more miles to the gallon and so calls for significantly much less to operate. Not only is this simpler on the price range, it is less difficult on the planet as effectively.

When hunting for used autos for sale by owner, 1 of the ideal resources is your local classified section of the newspaper. There are a lot of really wonderful opportunities to be found in regional resources like this simply because lots of people still advertise this way and not absolutely everyone is making use of the net to sell things. An additional excellent option is to verify modest flyers and neighborhood publications that let advertisements of used vehicles.

A lot of people have also been very profitable finding employed automobiles for sale by owner by making use of on the web auction internet sites and advertising web sites this kind of as Craigslist. The critical point to don't forget, particularly if you are contemplating a vehicle that will need you to travel to select it up, is to examine out the seller as very best as you can before proceeding. Ask a lot of concerns, make certain the answers you are receiving not only make sense, but are consistent. If the car was only used for weekend leisure actions, but has excessive miles, this may possibly make you query other statements the owner has created. It is always essential to believe about the big image when taking into consideration anything at all in the on the internet world whether it is a obtain as large as an automobile or even one thing significantly smaller and less expensive. Don't forget any car is an investment even if it is a utilised car.

Be certain to use frequent sense, have the vehicle thoroughly inspected and evaluated and get everything in writing. Getting a used vehicle can save you a lot of funds, specifically compared to new automobile offerings, but you require to do your homework and be confident that you are acquiring precisely what you are having to pay for.
Old November 24th 11, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:56:47 -0800 (PST)
peter wrote:
Don't know what happened, but if it was a 'person under a train' then
for once I don't blame TfL. But why could the disruption not have
been announced on the South Eastern train at Vauxhall? After all, lots

You'll be lucky. Half the time they don't even announce the disruption on
other tube lines and you'll still hear that moronic "There is a good service
on all london underground lines" automated announcement which I can only
presume they keep playing in the vain hope that'll it'll brainwash the
masses into believing it.

A bit of joined up thinking is all it needs - is that too much to ask
of our fragmented transport system?

Unfortunately yes.

B2003

Old November 24th 11, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
Yet another lengthened journey home tonight thanks to problems with "over
sensitive" doors on the Victoria Line. Driver regularly announcing
passengers to keep clear which when you've got delays in the peak is not
always that easy. On this occasion the driver announced something trapped
in doors of car 4, then later on, in car 3. I doubt for one minute many
passengers in the middle of a train would know which car they are in the
first place. From what I gather 1 is the front, 8 at the rear.

The delay caused by the sensitive edge doors appears disproportionate to the
benefit. The Victoria line used to be ultra reliable. Now it's just a
shambles.

John

Old November 24th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"peter" wrote

Don't know what happened, but if it was a 'person under a train' then
for once I don't blame TfL. But why could the disruption not have
been announced on the South Eastern train at Vauxhall?

Perhaps because Southeastern don't go to Vauxhall. ;-)

Peter
Old November 24th 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:27:07 -0000
"John C" wrote:
The delay caused by the sensitive edge doors appears disproportionate to the
benefit. The Victoria line used to be ultra reliable. Now it's just a
shambles.

Just wait until we have fully automatic trains with no drivers at the front.
That'll be utter chaos. It might work on the DLR but that never sees the
crush loadings you get on the tube. Much as I despise Bob Crowe he's right
about this one.

B2003