Old January 16th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fastest tube trains?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:12:28 -0000, "Gunslinger"
wrote:

Presumably these stats all relate to surface sections. It would be
interesting to learn what the highest/average speeds are in the tunnelled
sections.

When the Vic line opened they claimed speeds of 50mph between Finsbury
Park and Seven Sisters. That must be near the top of the range for
in-tunnel tubes.

Old January 16th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" wrote in message
i think the central is fastest tube, also it may be the fastest line at
100kph (62mph) towards epping and ruislip

No, new coding now, since Chancery Lane, in ATO to 85KPH just over 52mph.
They will still motor, in ATP coded manual, to the100KPH but this is banned
to drivers. But it is still the fastest even with this.

I would say the CENTRAL IS the fastest line because someone below in this
thread just said the MET was now down to 50mph, so CENTRAL beats it by a
measley 2mph! at 85KPH, in the open sections of course. And as for the
Jubilee well thats 50mph too but they allow these in the new tunnel
sections, which is remarkable in itself. All other tube lines tunnel
sections are restricted to 40mph 65KPH.

Pre38

Old January 16th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote in message ...

I thought the Central went at up to 100kph?

Which is about 60 miles an hour or a little more.
Old January 16th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David B" wrote in message
The best way to measure the speed is get a good GPS receiver - although

its
use is obviously limited to surface sections. AFAIK the Picadilly line

1973
stock has a top speed of 45 mph.

The Piccadilly Line has a line speed (the maximum speed allowed on the line)
of 45mph, the '73 tube stock is capable of exceeding this by quite a bit.
I've had a non-refurb totally off the clock (it went up to just over 60mph).
Of course this dosn't take account for any inaccuracy on the speedo, and as
the re-furbs are about 2 tons heavier they're probably a bit slower.
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have

Old January 16th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Pre-38 wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

i think the central is fastest tube, also it may be the fastest line at
100kph (62mph) towards epping and ruislip

No, new coding now, since Chancery Lane, in ATO to 85KPH just over 52mph.
They will still motor, in ATP coded manual, to the100KPH but this is banned
to drivers. But it is still the fastest even with this.

I would say the CENTRAL IS the fastest line because someone below in this
thread just said the MET was now down to 50mph, so CENTRAL beats it by a
measley 2mph! at 85KPH, in the open sections of course. And as for the
Jubilee well thats 50mph too but they allow these in the new tunnel
sections, which is remarkable in itself. All other tube lines tunnel
sections are restricted to 40mph 65KPH.

Pre38

That explains why the JLE feels very fast between Canary Wharf and
Westminster (or even CW and Baker St for that matter...).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 16th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Nathan
Whitington writes
Andrew P Smith wrote in message

I thought the Central went at up to 100kph?

Which is about 60 miles an hour or a little more.

Which is faster than speeds quoted elsewhere.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old January 18th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David B wrote:
The best way to measure the speed is get a good GPS receiver - although its
use is obviously limited to surface sections. AFAIK the Picadilly line 1973
stock has a top speed of 45 mph. 60 mph on A60/62 Metropolitan line stock is
only achievable west of Harrow on the Hill.

I tried to do this on the Met line the other day, but couldn't seem to
get sufficiently good GPS reception (yes, this was in the surface
sections).

I've also tried doing the same on the SWT Reading line, which seems to
work well on the Junipers, but not very well at all on the 455s and
421s/423s, for some reason.

Perhaps there are GPS receivers with better sensitivity than my basic
eTrex, though?

Niklas
--
"The cod distributed to chip shops throughout Britain will generally first have
been sent to Battersea for dipping."
Old January 19th 04, 03:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article , David B wrote:
[...]

You have my sympathies. My GPS is a Garmin and an old one and can have a lot
of trouble locking on (tracking) satellites. Maybe the more expensive makes
are better and can achieve a 'lock' a lot faster. Try moving about the train
(both sides) and if possible get a 'lock' before boarding the train so the
GPS gets a headstart once the train is moving. It takes longer to get a lock
once on the move. One other thing, make sure you have good line of sight to
the sky, ie near a window.

Old January 19th 04, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David B wrote:

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message

I tried to do this on the Met line the other day, but couldn't seem to
get sufficiently good GPS reception (yes, this was in the surface
sections).

I've also tried doing the same on the SWT Reading line, which seems to
work well on the Junipers, but not very well at all on the 455s and
421s/423s, for some reason.

Perhaps there are GPS receivers with better sensitivity than my basic
eTrex, though?

You have my sympathies. My GPS is a Garmin and an old one and can have a lot
of trouble locking on (tracking) satellites. Maybe the more expensive makes
are better and can achieve a 'lock' a lot faster. Try moving about the train
(both sides) and if possible get a 'lock' before boarding the train so the
GPS gets a headstart once the train is moving.

I tried moving around the train and made sure I had a line of sight to
the sky. I didn't have a lock when I got aboard, though, as I got on at
a sub-surface station... maybe I should try getting on at a surface one
instead.

I can generally get good reception on buses too (single-deckers, at least -
haven't tried it on DDs yet).

Niklas
--
I mean, who could fail to enjoy doing Bristol - London along a
congested M4 in a 60mph steamroller?