Old December 26th 11, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pedicabs: a public nuisance on the public highway

Surely there is a blanket ban on selling anything in a public place
without a specific licence.

Is a ride in a pedicab a "thing" though?

Good question. Despite what one might hear, these peddlers are not
pedlars for the purpose of the Act

The Pedlars Act 1871:

"The term "pedlar" means any hawker, pedlar, petty chapman, tinker,
caster of metals, mender of chairs, or other person who, without any
horse or other beast bearing or drawing burden, travels and trades on
foot and goes from town to town or to other men's houses, carrying to
sell or exposing for sale any goods, wares, or merchandise, or procuring
orders for goods, wares, or merchandise immediately to be delivered, or
selling or offering for sale his skill in handicraft;"
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old December 26th 11, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 25/12/2011 18:03, SteveL wrote:
Trouble is that there is no legal definition of a "rickshaw" or a
"pedicab", so they can't be banned or have regulations imposed on them.
Therefore, the only way to deal with this nuisance is to strictly
enforce as many existing regulations as possible against them.

They are a bit of an annoyance, aren't they? I have seen them roll up to
myself and others countless times to try and tout for business. Their
prices are also extortionate.

but are they extortionate when compared to black cabs for the distance (I
really have no idea, but I suspect not)

tim

Old December 26th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\12\26 13:22, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message
On 25/12/2011 18:03, SteveL wrote:
Trouble is that there is no legal definition of a "rickshaw" or a
"pedicab", so they can't be banned or have regulations imposed on them.
Therefore, the only way to deal with this nuisance is to strictly
enforce as many existing regulations as possible against them.

They are a bit of an annoyance, aren't they? I have seen them roll up
to myself and others countless times to try and tout for business.
Their prices are also extortionate.

but are they extortionate when compared to black cabs for the distance
(I really have no idea, but I suspect not)

You suspect wrong. They charge whatever they can get away with, and 25
pounds for a one mile journey is not uncommon. Presumably they can be
haggled with, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would ever be
cheaper than a black cab for any distance, unless it was one of the
*very* few journeys where they can take a substantial shortcut by
driving over pavements and through no entry signs (Lower Thames Street
westbound carriageway to Fenchurch Street station, for instance), but
even there they would be dearer than the black cab unless you haggled.
Old December 26th 11, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/12/2011 13:22, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message
On 25/12/2011 18:03, SteveL wrote:
Trouble is that there is no legal definition of a "rickshaw" or a
"pedicab", so they can't be banned or have regulations imposed on them.
Therefore, the only way to deal with this nuisance is to strictly
enforce as many existing regulations as possible against them.

They are a bit of an annoyance, aren't they? I have seen them roll up
to myself and others countless times to try and tout for business.
Their prices are also extortionate.

but are they extortionate when compared to black cabs for the distance
(I really have no idea, but I suspect not)

tim

Yes, I think they are. Many years ago, I wanted to use one to get from
Victoria Station to Earls Court. The guy wanted £50 up front.