Old January 29th 12, 03:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Jan 28, 4:31*pm, "
wrote:

What about the Newark City Subway or Hudson-Bergen Light Rail? Are the
doors customer-operated?

That's a good question.

In the days of PCC operation, Newark City Subway cars would only stop
if there was a passenger waiting or someone wanted to get off,
essentially all stops were flag stops. I don't know if the LRVs have
next stop pull cords the way the trolleys did.

River Line trains make every stop.

I don't know how HBLR works.

As an aside, an ancient flag stop feature on SEPTA's P&W (Rt 100) is
psgr operated electric signals at stations. The psgr presses a button
which illuminates a special signal for the train to stop. After a
stop the signal is automatically turned off. Passing express trains
do not turn off the signal.

Old January 29th 12, 03:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Jan 28, 4:35*pm, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

The River Line uses 55cm platforms. *"High" and "low" aren't terribly
meaningful when addressing an int'l audience that may be familiar with a
dozen different platform heights.

A few posts back a photo was referenced with an explanation of
traditional US railroad practice regarding high and low platforms.
Old January 29th 12, 03:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On Jan 28, 7:37*pm, Michael Finfer wrote:

Except for the I-95 bridge into PA which is not tolled.

For now. But after it is rebuilt plans are to add tolls.
Old January 29th 12, 04:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 1/28/2012 6:23 PM, Clark F Morris wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 00:48:46 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".

Freeway means limited access and no at grade intersections as opposed
to expressways which can have traffic lights and at grade
intersections.

Clark Morris

Well, that's the official meaning. But freeway has been popularly
adopted to mean specifically, non-toll roads without grade crossing,
etc. They CAN include toll bridges or tunnels.

While I'm at it, "turnpike" is only one name for toll roads. Actually,
here in California, we just say "toll road" for those few that we have.
And, other than the Seventeen Mile Drive in Carmel, I think all of our
toll roads are limited access sans grade crossings. Actually, the
Seventeen Mile Drive may technically be limited access, but it is a two
lane (one in each direction) low speed scenic road, not any kind of
expressway.

Regards,

DAve
Old January 29th 12, 05:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 28-Jan-12 18:48, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".

At least originally, the "free" in "freeway" referred to traffic moving
freely, not the cost.

Old January 29th 12, 07:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 00:28:59 on Sun, 29 Jan
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
At least originally, the "free" in "freeway" referred to traffic moving
freely, not the cost.

But presumably the "park" in "parkway" doesn't imply a constant traffic
holdup

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]
Old January 29th 12, 08:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

But presumably the "park" in "parkway" doesn't imply a constant traffic
holdup

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]

And how they have "Interstate" Highways in Hawaii and Alaska.

--
Cheers.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old January 29th 12, 08:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29/01/2012 04:04, wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:31 pm,
wrote:

What about the Newark City Subway or Hudson-Bergen Light Rail? Are the
doors customer-operated?

That's a good question.

In the days of PCC operation, Newark City Subway cars would only stop
if there was a passenger waiting or someone wanted to get off,
essentially all stops were flag stops. I don't know if the LRVs have
next stop pull cords the way the trolleys did.

River Line trains make every stop.

I don't know how HBLR works.

I always assumed that the Newark City Subway and the HBLR made every
stop, regardless if there were passengers wanting to board or alight.
It's been over ten years since I took a ride on that system, however.

As an aside, an ancient flag stop feature on SEPTA's P&W (Rt 100) is
psgr operated electric signals at stations. The psgr presses a button
which illuminates a special signal for the train to stop. After a
stop the signal is automatically turned off. Passing express trains
do not turn off the signal.

I always wondered if such a feature exists anywhere in the world.

Here in London, some of the information boxes at bus stops have a button
that you can press in order to light them up, which will allow a better
view. But all busses have to be manually flagged.

I can't remember if the same policy applies for the Croydon Tramlink or
if such a policy is in place at some of the more remote locations on
National Rail.

The Manx Electric Railway on the Isle of Man has a flag and stop policy,
however. In fact, the only scheduled stops on that line besides the
terminals are Laxey and Groudle Glen. Or Stashoon Laksaa and Stashoon
Glion Groudle, respectively, in Manx.
Old January 29th 12, 08:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29/01/2012 04:07, wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:37 pm, Michael wrote:

Except for the I-95 bridge into PA which is not tolled.

For now. But after it is rebuilt plans are to add tolls.

To cover the costs of rebuilding it, I assume?
Old January 29th 12, 08:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29/01/2012 09:09, Roger Traviss wrote:
But presumably the "park" in "parkway" doesn't imply a constant traffic
holdup

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]

And how they have "Interstate" Highways in Hawaii and Alaska.

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?