Old January 29th 12, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On 29/01/2012 16:43, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Roland wrote:

Then there are airports such as "Gary/Chicago International" which as
well as having no scheduled flights at all currently, never did have any
customs and immigration facilities.

I expect we could find some trains which are actually buses (all the
time, not just when disrupted) - we have them in UK too.

We have Rockford International Airport, too: The Concorde landed there once.

Flights from there to London Stansted are due to start operating on 4
May, according to Wikipedia.

The flights will be on Mokulele Airlines, which Air Transport
International will operate, Wikipedia information also stated.

It looks like this will be a stopover point from London to Honolulu.

Old January 29th 12, 05:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

So, how do people in Hawai'i get to other islands without flying, then?
Are there ferries that carry cars or bridges of any sort?

You might think so, but everyone flies. There are hardly any ferries,
and the islands are too far apart for fixed links.

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Military. (Not Googled).

A common misconception. See other recent messages.

R's,
John

Old January 29th 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Interstate highways, was Stating prices at retail inclusive oftaxes

On 29/01/2012 16:47, John Levine wrote:
They also disconfirm the myth about straight places to be used as runways.

Runways make good straight lengths on motorways, however. The main
runway of RAF Burtonwood (also a USAF base) is now incorporated into the
M62 motorway.

--
Dave,
Frodsham
Old January 29th 12, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29-Jan-12 10:59, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:
" wrote:
I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?

Even if there were, it wouldn't matter as it would still be one state.
And of course were talking about the Interstate Highway System...

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Those of you who answered movement of military troops within the
continental United States are good on the justification but wrong on
the purpose. It was the height of the Cold War.

NATO wasn't formed until 1949, the Warsaw Pact until 1955, and the
standoff between those two entities was the essence of the Cold War.
Hotspots were Berlin (1948-49), Korea (1950-53), Berlin (1961), Vietnam
(1959-75), Cuba (1962), Afghanistan (1979-89), and Able Archer 83 (1983).

In contrast, planning for a national highway network for defense
purposes reaches back to 1921, the first formal description of the
modern Interstate Highway System (though not by that name) was in 1939,
and the roots of the modern name can be seen in 1944's "Interregional
Highways". The plans languished, though, until Eisenhower pushed
through a funding bill based on his experience with the Autobahns during
WWII, which was completely unrelated to the Cold War that followed it.

Eisenhower always claimed that he wanted interstates to go around
metropolitan areas and not through them, but major cities and metropolitan
counties had already constructed freeways before the federal highway
bill became law, so it's impossible to believe him. This is the same
guy whose farewell address lamented the power of the military-industrial
complex, even though his administration gave it its power during peacetime.

Of course he did; he wanted to hold onto his power, like any politician.
It is only after they retire, with pockets filled by years of
bribes^Wcampaign contributions, that they're free to tell the truth.

Old January 29th 12, 07:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Jan 29, 9:59*am, Bruce wrote:

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Wasn't it originally a Department of Defence project, inspired by the
autobahn network in Germany?

It was never of Defense Dept project.

Some of its backers used the autobhan network as an example to justify
the project. Early literature referred to it as a defense system. It
is said Eisenhower, who was president, was impressed with the
Autobahns.

But building improved roads was a continuing project of the US Govt
all along. IIRC, in 1944 they passed a new road building act which
evolved into the Interstate system.

Old January 29th 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Robert Neville wrote:
" wrote:

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?

Even if there were, it wouldn't matter as it would still be one state.
And of course were talking about the Interstate Highway System...

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Those of you who answered movement of military troops within the
continental United States are good on the justification but wrong on
the purpose. It was the height of the Cold War.

NATO wasn't formed until 1949, the Warsaw Pact until 1955, and the
standoff between those two entities was the essence of the Cold War.

The Cold War began during Potsdam Treaty negotiations, the instant the bomb
was dropped on Nagasaki, intimidating Stalin into not proceding with the
Soviet invasion of Japan. Stalin chose not to call our bluff; we weren't
ready to drop a third bomb soon enough to prevent any Soviet invasion.

NATO was a symptom of the ongoing Cold War, not the provocation. There
was no anti-German reason to continue the occupation, but the Soviets
weren't going to end their occupation of the eastern sector of Germany,
so we weren't going to end our occupation of the Allied sector. NATO
merely formalized our fear of a renewed Soviet attack in central Europe,
and allowed us all to continue the occupation until we and the Russians
finally agreed to allow Germany to reunite in 1990.

Hotspots were Berlin (1948-49), Korea (1950-53), Berlin (1961), Vietnam
(1959-75), Cuba (1962), Afghanistan (1979-89), and Able Archer 83 (1983).

The Cold War wasn't without major warfare, but there never was a direct
confrontation between US and Soviet Union, and nobody went first to use
nuclear weapon in several wars that were essentially proxy wars. 'Tis
why we can have this nonsensical discussion on Usenet today.

In contrast, planning for a national highway network for defense
purposes reaches back to 1921, the first formal description of the
modern Interstate Highway System (though not by that name) was in 1939,
and the roots of the modern name can be seen in 1944's "Interregional
Highways". The plans languished, though, until Eisenhower pushed
through a funding bill based on his experience with the Autobahns during
WWII, which was completely unrelated to the Cold War that followed it.

For defense purposes in 1921? Uh, I'll agree that the earliest Moses
parkways were precursors, as were many early semi-limited-access highways
built in the 1920's, not necessarily influenced by Moses. But I never
read that history book you did.
Old January 29th 12, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Jan 29, 10:56*am, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

But presumably the "park" in "parkway" doesn't imply a constant traffic
holdup

No, it implies that the roadway goes through a park-like area, i.e.
there is nice scenery to look at while your car is stuck in traffic.

Usually that is the case, but the name is used loosely and there are
some parkways (and boulevards) that are nothing but concrete canyons.

In the state of New York, certain parkways are restricted to auto
traffic only. Sometimes truckers use a faulty GPS and take a parkway
only to get stuck under low bridges.

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]

A driveway is where you drive to get to the parking area, eg. a parking
lot or garage. *Of course, if the parking lot/garage is missing and one
parks at the end of the driveway, its name doesn't change...

There are some "Drives", such as Kelly Drive in Philadelphia, and I
think Lake Shore Drive in Chicago that are similar to parkways.

In the US, the terms road, street, and avenue are completely
interchangeable and can mean a tiny side street to a major highway.
Old January 29th 12, 07:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Jan 29, 11:07*am, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Movement of tanks. *That is the origin of the clearance, lane width and
bridge-strength requirements--and in turn limits the height, width and
weight of new US tanks.

I'm not sure that's true. Tanks are not very kind to concrete roadway
surfaces, nor do they move very fast, and of course drink up fuel. I
would think if tanks have to be moved any sort of distance they would
be loaded onto trains.