Old March 19th 12, 03:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Where the only debit cards not accepted are Solo and Electron (and where
I think the "some also accept..." should really read: "a very few might
also accept...").

The discussion was about Visa debit cards, which supposedly had the
stigma of only being possessed by people who couldn't get a credit card.

Debit cards in general, but especially Solo and Electron debit cards.

What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

Old March 19th 12, 03:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Even if that wasn't EMV, it's just a matter of time until someone
figures out how to do it.

In the mean time, it's so unlikely, especially if the objective is
stealing a few train tickets, that we can discount it.

Unlikely? It's a certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has
already done so and just hasn't publicized that fact--for obvious reasons.

It's not the kind of secret that would keep very well.
Old March 19th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
your entire country is smaller than some of our "service areas".
Remember that the US has roughly twice the area of the entire EU, so our
"domestic" is your "international".

I thought you said that the USA didn't have service areas any more, just
national coverage thanks to the domestic roaming agreements.
Old March 19th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 19/03/2012 16:24, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:

Where the only debit cards not accepted are Solo and Electron (and where
I think the "some also accept..." should really read: "a very few might
also accept...").

The discussion was about Visa debit cards, which supposedly had the
stigma of only being possessed by people who couldn't get a credit card.

Debit cards in general, but especially Solo and Electron debit cards.

There's no stigma about Visa debit cards at all - any stigma would apply
to Solo and Electron cards, but Solo cards are no longer issued, and
Electron cards are now pretty hard to come by (one more or less has to
actively seek them out). Most banks that used to issue Electron cards
now issue Visa Debit cards with zero-floor limits.

What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

They don't offer an absolute promise that the cardholder cannot go
overdrawn.
Old March 19th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 19-Mar-12 11:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Where the only debit cards not accepted are Solo and Electron (and where
I think the "some also accept..." should really read: "a very few might
also accept...").

The discussion was about Visa debit cards, which supposedly had the
stigma of only being possessed by people who couldn't get a credit card.

Debit cards in general, but especially Solo and Electron debit cards.

What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

A debit card works no differently, from the network's or merchant's
perspective, from a credit card. The merchant requests authorization
for a particular amount, and the issuing bank either accepts or declines
the transaction. If the merchant posts a transaction without
authorization, it may be declined and the merchant may not get paid.

Either card type may be declined if the issuing bank sees the customer
has insufficient funds, whether such funds are drawn from a debit
account or a credit account.

Old March 19th 12, 04:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 16:44:39 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Mizter T remarked:

There's no stigma about Visa debit cards at al

A cultural thing.

Most banks that used to issue Electron cards now issue Visa Debit cards
with zero-floor limits.

Maybe that's how they...

What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

They don't offer an absolute promise that the cardholder cannot go
overdrawn.

fsvo "absolute": http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/under18s

"You can't go overdrawn, so don't worry – you can't spend more
than you have available"
Old March 19th 12, 04:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 19-Mar-12 11:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:10:46 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
your entire country is smaller than some of our "service areas".
Remember that the US has roughly twice the area of the entire EU, so our
"domestic" is your "international".

I thought you said that the USA didn't have service areas any more, just
national coverage thanks to the domestic roaming agreements.

We were discussing 1G service, which no longer exists. "Service areas"
mostly went away with 2G service and free domestic roaming; the only
obvious remainder is they determine which area code your number is from.

(The FCC prohibits allocating separate area codes to mobile carriers,
claiming that would be "discriminatory", so their numbers come from the
same geographical area codes as land lines. This causes many problems
and, in the end, hurts consumers.)

Old March 19th 12, 04:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 12:28:11 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
What I agree we didn't get to the bottom of is how the card companies
can issue 'normal' VISA debit cards while also promising the cardholder
that they (the cardholder) will not be allowed to overdraw.

A debit card works no differently, from the network's or merchant's
perspective, from a credit card. The merchant requests authorization
for a particular amount, and the issuing bank either accepts or declines
the transaction. If the merchant posts a transaction without
authorization, it may be declined and the merchant may not get paid.

Either card type may be declined if the issuing bank sees the customer
has insufficient funds, whether such funds are drawn from a debit
account or a credit account.

sigh but we don't (here in the UK anyway) live in a world where every
transaction is authorised.
Old March 19th 12, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 19-Mar-12 12:38, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

That's why I said "If the merchant posts a transaction without
authorization, it may be declined and the merchant may not get paid."

It's very simple. I don't understand why you keep trying to make it
more complicated than it is.

Old March 19th 12, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 12:45:12 on Mon, 19 Mar
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Either card type may be declined if the issuing bank sees the customer
has insufficient funds, whether such funds are drawn from a debit
account or a credit account.

sigh but we don't (here in the UK anyway) live in a world where every
transaction is authorised.

That's why I said "If the merchant posts a transaction without
authorization, it may be declined and the merchant may not get paid."

It's very simple. I don't understand why you keep trying to make it
more complicated than it is.

Because I'm not convinced that accepting a debit card which passes the
C&P PIN, but is later declined because of lack of funds, is at the
retailer's risk.