Old January 12th 12, 04:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross exhibition

In message
, at
17:11:28 on Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Sam Wilson remarked:
Will have to visit the exhibition I suppose.

Since the exhibition apparently conists of "new CGI images, a map and
iPads giving people the chance to play a quiz" you'd have thought they
could have provided an online version so that people who might be
planning to travel through KX could also see it.

I did think about that when I posted earlier, but they obviously want
only a captive audience.

Old January 12th 12, 05:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:09:21 on Thu,
12 Jan 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

OTOH the words footbridge, escalator or lifts aren't mentioned so
presumably
you'll take that as proof they haven't been provided?

Now now. They are the means by which access "via the new concourse" is
provided.

No, they are the means by which only some of the access is provided, for
those passengers who happen to be on the mezzanine catering level. The main
access is through the ground floor alongside the south end of platform 8.
This is why platforms 5-8 have been shortened, to provide the necessary
ground level circulation space.

Paul S

Old January 13th 12, 06:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:20:45 on
Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

OTOH the words footbridge, escalator or lifts aren't mentioned so
presumably you'll take that as proof they haven't been provided?

Now now. They are the means by which access "via the new concourse"
is provided.

No, they are the means by which only some of the access is provided,
for those passengers who happen to be on the mezzanine catering level.
The main access is through the ground floor alongside the south end of
platform 8. This is why platforms 5-8 have been shortened, to provide
the necessary ground level circulation space.

That's where I'm going wrong - the area you mention is currently part of
the "old concourse" (to be allegedly exit-only), although what they
probably mean is that the exit-only area is the "to be demolished" part
of the old concourse.
Old January 13th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 03:06:53 on
Fri, 13 Jan 2012, remarked:
There will be a large circulation area inside the barriers across the end
of the platforms which will allow access to the new concourse.

FSVO "large", especially at the eastern end (there's about 10m between the
P1-4 buffers and the outside wall, some of which will be gateline).

That's why they want everyone to exit south, out onto the plaza. And
people not to be trying to get *onto* the lower numbered platforms other
than by the bridge.

My deja-vu alarm is sounding now - and as you should possibly recall from
the passenger flow diagrams discussed a while back, the _main_ entry route
to the platforms 0-8 for departing passengers is clearly shown to be via the
ground floor at the south end of the western range, and round the buffer
stop ends. The weighting of the flow arrows on the diagrams makes this
abundantly clear. No-one is going to be forced to go up to the mezzanine
level and down again onto the platforms - there just isn't the capacity
anyway when you note the relative numbers of ticket barriers and the
comparative physical space shown.

Additionally, departing passengers (ie those arriving on trains departing
the station to outside) also have a route into the western concourse without
going outside, as the relevant barrier line is also shown as two way,
although heavily biased into the station.

[In a short series of posts back whenever we discussed the fact that the use
of the terms arriving and departing was counter-intuitive and was referring
to the street rather than the trains.]

Paul S

Old January 14th 12, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:09:31 +0000, John Salmon wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote
(plcd1) wrote:

Just announced by Network Rail
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.../KING-S-CROSS-

PASSENGERS-OFFERED-A-GLIMPSE-INTO-THE-FUTURE-198f.aspx

I'm confused. I thought I read that the new concourse opened just
before Christmas?

No, but bits of it are easily visible. The new main departure board
(visible from the barrier line for platforms 9 to 11) was working
yesterday; it is more 'conventional' than the one in the current
concourse, no longer having separate sections for FCC and main-line
services.

Coincidentally, I had some time to kill and was in the area so had a look
around, and there is an awful lot more to see now than last time I was
there.

It still looks a bit strange, with the new roof looking out of place
against the old building, so I hope it all comes together better.

You can see all the balcony etc and where the stairways are - it seems a
little cramped, but I guess it'll look much better when completed.

The area between St P and Kings X (further north of the new section) is
starting to look better though, and as the work carries on, there are
signs it will be a very busy neighbourhood.
Old January 14th 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Martin Petrov wrote:

Coincidentally, I had some time to kill and was in the area so had a look
around, and there is an awful lot more to see now than last time I was
there.

It still looks a bit strange, with the new roof looking out of place
against the old building, so I hope it all comes together better.

I think the architect is trying to achieve a similar effect to the
overall roof over the inner courtyard of the British Museum, which
works pretty well:

http://www.jemmalambert.co.uk/shutterjunkie/index.php?showimage=187

Old January 14th 12, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:29:17 on
Sat, 14 Jan 2012, Bruce remarked:
Coincidentally, I had some time to kill and was in the area so had a look
around, and there is an awful lot more to see now than last time I was
there.

It still looks a bit strange, with the new roof looking out of place
against the old building, so I hope it all comes together better.

I think the architect is trying to achieve a similar effect to the
overall roof over the inner courtyard of the British Museum, which
works pretty well:

http://www.jemmalambert.co.uk/shutterjunkie/index.php?showimage=187

"enlivens the original Victorian Cubitt design". Either that, or a
massive UFO crash-landed.

http://kingscrossenvironment.com/201...ern-concourse-
complete/
Old January 15th 12, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Can I just apologise and say my original post was to provide some info
for people and not trigger the "Roland Kings Cross debate" back into
life.

LOL...

I predict now that if you provide useful photographic evidence of how it all
works in due course (as you helpfully did with the NTH), it still won't be
believed in some quarters...

Paul S