Old January 22nd 12, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
AJM AJM is offline

Default Oyster refund question

Yesterday I received the following e-mail from tfl informing me about a
charging error on one of my journeys, and that it will be refunded when
a next touch-in at Bexley station. The problem is, I was staying there
on vacation and returned home to Scotland on Thursday. Is there another
way to get this refund added to my card for future use as it might prove
a bit expensive to travel 400 miles to 'touch-in' to get my 1.20GBP
back?

Will calling the number below resolve this?

Regards

Alan

MESSAGE START

Dear #####

Due to an operational issue, you are due a payment of ?1.20. This is now
ready for collection at Bexley [National Rail].

Payment correction details:
Reason: Payment correction because of an operational issue
Value: ?1.20
Reference: #######
Collection location: Bexley [National Rail]

To collect your payment, touch your Oyster card on a yellow reader at
the location shown above when you start a journey.

Please keep your Oyster card number safe. You may need to quote it if
you call the Oyster helpline (0845 330 9876).

Yours sincerely,

Aderemi Ademola
Oyster Customer Services Manager
tfl.gov.uk/oyster
SNIP

Old January 22nd 12, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:44:13 on Sun, 22
Jan 2012, AJM remarked:
Yesterday I received the following e-mail from tfl informing me about a
charging error on one of my journeys, and that it will be refunded when
a next touch-in at Bexley station. The problem is, I was staying there
on vacation and returned home to Scotland on Thursday. Is there another
way to get this refund added to my card for future use as it might prove
a bit expensive to travel 400 miles to 'touch-in' to get my 1.20GBP
back?

If you don't touch in at Bexley within a week (I think it is) they'll
email you saying that it's timed out and you need to specify a new place
to pick up the refund (which will also have a ludicrously short timeout
for someone who isn't the London commuter that Oyster is designed
around).

So next time you are coming to London you need to guess which terminal
you'll arrive at (Kings Cross perhaps) and arrange for the refund to be
available. You can do that online (but it's all a bit of a performance
for £1.20).
Old January 22nd 12, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 01:44:13 on Sun,
22 Jan 2012, AJM remarked:
[...]

They will credit your bank account directly if you ask, I think. I'm only in
Cambridge I'm sure they did it for me but I can't find the emails at
present. What they will do is agree a location to pick it up. Lats time I
agreed to pick it up on entry at Kings Cross St Pancras but didn't in the
end make an entry there on that trip. I did exit there, however and the
credit was picked up thereby.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 22nd 12, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 22, 11:09*am, wrote:

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 01:44:13 on Sun,
22 Jan 2012, AJM remarked:
[...]

The blurb for picking up refunds and also top-ups (and indeed
Travelcards) bought online (plus, for that matter, auto-topup
activations) is a bit misleading in that it suggests you can only pick
them up at the start of a journey - as you say, it works just the same
if you end a journey at the relevant/ nominated station too.

And my recollection is that you did say in the past that you got the
Oyster bods to refund it to your bank account (though I'd be
interested in whether that was via a debit card refund or as a direct
payment into your bank account having given them the details - I'd
assume the former).

Old January 22nd 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And my recollection is that you did say in the past that you got the
Oyster bods to refund it to your bank account (though I'd be
interested in whether that was via a debit card refund or as a direct
payment into your bank account having given them the details - I'd
assume the former).

They can now do BACS (if you ask nicely and your Oyster record confirms
pick-up at a pad is impracticable).
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old January 22nd 12, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

And my recollection is that you did say in the past that you got the
Oyster bods to refund it to your bank account (though I'd be
interested in whether that was via a debit card refund or as a direct
payment into your bank account having given them the details - I'd
assume the former).

I've had a debit card refund, a couple of years ago if not longer - I just
asked the helpline, and told them I wouldn't be in London in the near
future. Perhaps it is useful to have the card registered so it is
immediately clear where you actually live, and they'd know from my
transaction record that my card is only used now and again...

Paul

Old January 22nd 12, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Jan 22, 11:09*am, wrote:

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at 01:44:13 on Sun,
22 Jan 2012, AJM remarked:
[...]

Last time I agreed to pick it up on entry at Kings Cross St Pancras but
didn't in the end make an entry there on that trip. I did exit there,
however and the credit was picked up thereby.

The blurb for picking up refunds and also top-ups (and indeed
Travelcards) bought online (plus, for that matter, auto-topup
activations) is a bit misleading in that it suggests you can only pick
them up at the start of a journey - as you say, it works just the same
if you end a journey at the relevant/ nominated station too.

And my recollection is that you did say in the past that you got the
Oyster bods to refund it to your bank account (though I'd be
interested in whether that was via a debit card refund or as a direct
payment into your bank account having given them the details - I'd
assume the former).

Yes, I think that did once happen but searching back in my bank statements
to 2009 I couldn't find it. Maybe my memory is failing me it it was longer
ago than I thought.

--
Colin Rosenstiel