Old March 17th 12, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators

On Mar 17, 12:31*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:

Outside London, buses generally only have one door, by the driver.
Bendy-buses aren't very common.

Except the ex-London ones now spread out across the country.

It's still a drop in the ocean. Many provincial bendy buses have one
of the back doors "missing" as well, and are frequently used on
routes for students - where almost all the users will have season
tickets.

Not that I saw in Gateshead last weekend. Pretty well as in London except
for the repaint.

But one must board via the front door.

Old March 17th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

at 05:44:08 on Sat, 17 Mar 2012, Mizter T remarked:
Not that I saw in Gateshead last weekend. Pretty well as in London except
for the repaint.

But one must board via the front door.

Same in Nottingham, and I'm sure that in common with other provincial
cites I've seen bendies (like Leicester), outside London people queue at
bus stops and get on at the front door, with the driver pulling up at
the head of the queue. The queues form "upstream" of that (not
downstream) so there's no-one hanging around near the back of the bus
anyway.
Old March 17th 12, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators- The Guardian

On 17/03/2012 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 17, 9:16 am, Arthur wrote:

On 17/03/2012 01:48, Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:

Ross schrieb:
Have you actually got any idea how revenue collection is generally
handled on British buses, HaJo?
Clue: the London "pay before you board" area is not the way the rest
of the country works.

As soon as the only check is the bus driver, and there aren't any
inspectors in the buses, it's very easy to get through.

How? Drivers tend to notice people walking past them without paying.

Outside London, buses generally only have one door, by the driver.
Bendy-buses aren't very common.

It's also very rare for someone to try and board the rear (exit) door
of a London bus - perhaps surprisingly so, if one actually thinks
about it,

And when they do, they tend to be foreigners.

but it's just not the done thing - I think Neil Williams
described it as an 'invisible force field'.

Perhaps large numbers of potential fare dodgers get free travel anyway?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 18th 12, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Ross schrieb:
Have you actually got any idea how revenue collection is generally
handled on British buses, HaJo?
Clue: the London "pay before you board" area is not the way the rest
of the country works.

As soon as the only check is the bus driver, and there aren't any
inspectors in the buses, it's very easy to get through.

How? Drivers tend to notice people walking past them without paying.

Outside London, buses generally only have one door, by the driver.
Bendy-buses aren't very common.

It's also very rare for someone to try and board the rear (exit) door
of a London bus - perhaps surprisingly so, if one actually thinks
about it,

And when they do, they tend to be foreigners.

but it's just not the done thing - I think Neil Williams
described it as an 'invisible force field'.

Do do that on trams in Amsterdam.

Old March 18th 12, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 11:26:02 on Sun, 18
Mar 2012, " remarked:
It's also very rare for someone to try and board the rear (exit) door
of a London bus - perhaps surprisingly so, if one actually thinks
about it,

And when they do, they tend to be foreigners.

but it's just not the done thing - I think Neil Williams
described it as an 'invisible force field'.

Do do that on trams in Amsterdam.

When I last travelled on a tram in Amsterdam, they had gates at the rear
door, and you had to "touch out" (to open them) - which from a
calculating-fare point of view is a bit odd for a prepaid 1hr ticket,
but necessary anyway.
Old March 18th 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 17, 8:18*pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 17/03/2012 12:14, Mizter T wrote:
[...]
Outside London, buses generally only have one door, by the driver.
Bendy-buses aren't very common.

It's also very rare for someone to try and board the rear (exit) door
of a London bus - perhaps surprisingly so, if one actually thinks
about it,

And when they do, they tend to be foreigners.

Yep.

but it's just not the done thing - I think Neil Williams
described it as an 'invisible force field'.

Perhaps large numbers of potential fare dodgers get free travel anyway?

Those under 16 who have an Oyster photocard, those 16-18 year old
London residents in full time education, those who qualify for the
Freedom Pass (meet the age criteria, or have an eligible disability),
and war veterans via the VCTS get free bus travel.

Those on benefits don't, if that was perhaps what you were getting at?
There are two schemes - the Bus & Tram Discount card (a London
initiative), which provides for half-price bus fares, and the national
Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount card (successor to the New Deal card),
which procides for half-rate or child-rate fares. The basic idea is
that these are aimed at people seeking work, or in work but with a low
income.
Old March 18th 12, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 18/03/2012 12:59, Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:18 pm, Arthur wrote:

[...]

Nope, just thinking of yoofs and coffin-dodgers.

There are two schemes - the Bus& Tram Discount card (a London
initiative), which provides for half-price bus fares, and the national
Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount card (successor to the New Deal card),
which procides for half-rate or child-rate fares. The basic idea is
that these are aimed at people seeking work, or in work but with a low
income.

Someone once asked me about (non-resident) child fares on the trams, so
next time I passed I had a look at the signs and found I couldn't figure
it out myself.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Bruce[_2_] London Transport 130 July 10th 12 07:52 PM
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Neil Williams London Transport 3 July 2nd 12 10:09 AM
fare dodgers Paul Corfield London Transport 48 February 21st 07 09:16 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM