Old February 6th 12, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators- The Guardian

On Feb 6, 7:42*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

You could turn that round and say that 96.5% of journeys are paid for.
Given the (apparent) low levels of inspection, that seems pretty high to
me.

Does "public transport" mean "city public transport", or does it
include IC rail, where on-board checks are conducted, so getting away
with it is unlikely?

Neil

Old February 7th 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am 06.02.2012 12:34, schrieb Neil Williams:
You could turn that round and say that 96.5% of journeys are paid for.
Given the (apparent) low levels of inspection, that seems pretty high to
me.

Does "public transport" mean "city public transport", or does it
include IC rail, where on-board checks are conducted, so getting away
with it is unlikely?

VDV is talking here only about local and regional transit, not long
distance journeys.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 7th 12, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am 03.02.2012 13:06, schrieb Neil Williams:
the VDV,
which is demanding harsher punishments for fare dodgers: an increase
in on-the-spot fines from €40 to €60 (£50), and €120 for repeat
offenders.

That seems a good idea, so long as some discretion is possible for
genuine cases (e.g. if you forget your personalised[1] season ticket,

in that case, the law says, the penalty fare is reduced to 7 Euro, if
the personalized (season) ticket is shown within 14 days.

and get PFed, you can get the money back against an admin fee).

Generally, in an open system, the PF should be set at a level that
fare dodging doesn't cause a loss to the operator.If that's the
case, they can just stop worrying about it.

The real deterrent is not the amount of the possible penalty fare, but
the probability to get caught. But to increase this probability
increases the operating cost for the operator, while the increment in
fares and penalty fares diminshes.

Cheers,
L.W.
Old February 7th 12, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 03/02/2012 16:01, Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 3, 4:36 pm, wrote:

On the other hand, on our local buses (in CH, any door boarding,
ocasional checks) the company seems to take a very "fair play"
attitude to checks. last time I was on a bus that got checked, the
driver announced on the PA that a check would happen at the next stop
so that anyone without a ticket could buy one from the on board
machine. I am told by others that checkers have been known to get on
and stand around in uniform obviously, waiting for people to go buy
their tickets before starting the check.

When I was over in Den Haag for a bit, I found the inspectors normally
just marched anyone who had "forgotten" to validate their
Strippenkaart to the machine to do so, rather than issuing penalties
of any kind.

Neil

I thought they were getting rid of Strippenkaart in favour of Smart Cards.
Old February 7th 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:52:23 +0000, "
wrote:
I thought they were getting rid of Strippenkaart in favour of Smart

Cards.

They are. This was a good 5 years ago.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 7th 12, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators

"Neil Williams" schreef

: wrote:
: I thought they were getting rid of Strippenkaart in favour of Smart
: Cards.

: They are. This was a good 5 years ago.

The Strippenkaart no longer exists. As far as I remember, it was abolished
in November last year.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Old February 11th 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams schrieb:

Not to the extent that people do in the UK,

Depends on origin: (West-)Berlin/Hamburg or Samplevillage in
Baden-Württemberg.

On the other hand, Britons /drive/ much closer to the rules, at least
they did some decades ago.

BTW: I felt a similar sensation, when I saw Britons queue for bus stops.
Don't know wether it still works this way, but never did in Germany.

Hans-Joachim

--
Telekomiker heißen Telekomiker, weil sie ungefragt und unbestellt eine
Sprachbox auf einen FeTap 751-1 aufschalten.

"... dann drücken Sie bitte die Eins." "Hab' ich gemacht..."
Old February 11th 12, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams schrieb:

Does "public transport" mean "city public transport", or does it
include IC rail, where on-board checks are conducted, so getting away
with it is unlikely?

While I don't /know/ it, I /assume/ that the VDV is talking about
"Nahverkehr". So it would include RE trains, where there are ticket
checks by the guard, usually.

Unless it is a situation as on the Hunsrückbahn, where fare dodging has
reached a level around 50%.

Hans-Joachim
Old February 11th 12, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Arthur Figgis schrieb:

But how often does anyone suggest British transport company managers are
*not* incompetent, etc? People have hated railway management and assumed
they are evil since, well, forever.

Perhaps people are right?

An exception, which springs to mind, is the widely respected Dieter
Ludwig.

h.

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Bruce[_2_] London Transport 130 July 10th 12 07:52 PM
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Neil Williams London Transport 3 July 2nd 12 10:09 AM
fare dodgers Paul Corfield London Transport 48 February 21st 07 09:16 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM