Old February 12th 12, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transportoperators - The Guardian

In uk.railway Hans-Joachim Zierke twisted the electrons to say:
BTW: I felt a similar sensation, when I saw Britons queue for bus stops.
Don't know wether it still works this way, but never did in Germany.

Having boarded buses in Austria, Germany and the UK I can't say I've
noticed any particular difference in the way that people behave.

Old February 12th 12, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Feb 2012 21:55:47 GMT, Hans-Joachim Zierke
wrote:
BTW: I felt a similar sensation, when I saw Britons queue for bus

stops.
Don't know wether it still works this way, but never did in Germany.

It sort-of does, but doesn't work because more than one route tends
to serve most busy stops.

The most interesting one is perhaps the bar or barber's shop, where
there is most definitely a queue, but it is not visible.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old February 12th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Arthur Figgis schrieb:

Yup. I was in Mannheim (or was it Heidelberg?) last year, and some old
bloke was shouting "denken Sie an die Kinder" (or whatever) at anyone
who crossed when the road was clear rather than when the light was green.

Why did he shout?
After all, according to this newsgroup, Germans don't do that?

BTW: What about pedestrians crossing railroad tracks, if the light is
red and no train in sight?

Hans-Joachim
Old February 12th 12, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12/02/2012 17:28, Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:
Arthur Figgis schrieb:

Yup. I was in Mannheim (or was it Heidelberg?) last year, and some old
bloke was shouting "denken Sie an die Kinder" (or whatever) at anyone
who crossed when the road was clear rather than when the light was green.

Why did he shout?
After all, according to this newsgroup, Germans don't do that?

Maybe the people crossing weren't German? Had it been Britain, a close
approximation to no-one would have been stood waiting for the lights
(unless some German tourists happened to be passing).

BTW: What about pedestrians crossing railroad tracks, if the light is
red and no train in sight?

There probably aren't all that many places where the situation arises -
there would generally be lights and barriers, or no safety systems at
all - but in general I think people would wait for a train. Unless they
were going to catch one from the other platform...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 13th 12, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
BTW: I felt a similar sensation, when I saw Britons queue for bus

stops.
Don't know wether it still works this way, but never did in Germany.

It sort-of does, but doesn't work because more than one route tends to
serve most busy stops.

The most interesting one is perhaps the bar or barber's shop, where
there is most definitely a queue, but it is not visible.

I've noticed an increasing number of shops with designs which make
queuing difficult; Greggs seem particularly bad for it. There also seems
a trend for places to be unsure whether they are adopting post office
queueing or not, causing problems because no-one is sure what is going on.

The Sainsbury's at Clapham Junction is (was?) laid out so that people
coming from the sandwich shelf can't see the queue because it is hidden
round the corner, and so they go straight to a till (at least the first
time - I've done it, I've seen countless other people do it).

OTOH smaller branches of M&S go for nicely defined queues, but they are
far too narrow and people knock stuff off the racks of sweets.

Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 13th 12, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am 13.02.2012 08:52, schrieb Arthur Figgis:
unsure whether they are adopting post office queueing or not

what is meant by "post office queueing" in this context?

Cheers,
L.W.

Old February 13th 12, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 11:03:48 on
Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Lüko Willms remarked:
unsure whether they are adopting post office queueing or not

what is meant by "post office queueing" in this context?

Single queue, multiple server.

Although ironically the Post Office used to have separate windows (and
separate queues) for different activities. So you'd queue once to buy
stamps and then again to renew your car tax.

The muddle tends to arise when a multiple server multiple queue
situation (eg the default at most fast food outlets) gets overloaded,
and people form an additional single queue, where customers peel off the
front to join the each server's queue when the latter get down to about
two or three per server.
Old February 13th 12, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11/02/2012 21:55, Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:

Neil Williams schrieb:

Not to the extent that people do in the UK,

Depends on origin: (West-)Berlin/Hamburg or Samplevillage in
Baden-Württemberg.

On the other hand, Britons /drive/ much closer to the rules, at least
they did some decades ago.

BTW: I felt a similar sensation, when I saw Britons queue for bus stops.
Don't know wether it still works this way, but never did in Germany.

Hans-Joachim

They still continue to do that on Fleet Street.
Old February 13th 12, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 13/02/2012 10:03, Lüko Willms wrote:
Am 13.02.2012 08:52, schrieb Arthur Figgis:
unsure whether they are adopting post office queueing or not

what is meant by "post office queueing" in this context?

Cheers,
L.W.

The Royal Mail has undertaken a redesign of its branches. Instead of
queuing in a line, you take a number from a machine for the type of
service that you require and approach a counter when your number is called.

At least I think that's what it means.
Old February 13th 12, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 13, 9:11*pm, "
wrote:

On 13/02/2012 10:03, Lüko Willms wrote:

Am 13.02.2012 08:52, schrieb Arthur Figgis:
unsure whether they are adopting post office queueing or not

what is meant by "post office queueing" in this context?.

The Royal Mail has undertaken a redesign of its branches. Instead of
queuing in a line, you take a number from a machine for the type of
service that you require and approach a counter when your number is called.

At least I think that's what it means.

No - just one queue for multiple counters (as opposed to each counter
having its own queue).

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Bruce[_2_] London Transport 130 July 10th 12 07:52 PM
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Neil Williams London Transport 3 July 2nd 12 10:09 AM
fare dodgers Paul Corfield London Transport 48 February 21st 07 09:16 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM