Old February 8th 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default First rule of politics: If your opponent has a great idea, copy it!

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:06:45PM -0000, Mizter T wrote:

The problem is that it'd mean lost revenue, which would have to be covered
somehow - higher fares, higher subsidies, or both. Bus fares have already
gone up by some degree under Boris, and it wouldn't be accepted for them to
jump significantly further even if it were to provide for free transfers.

IIRC it's one of the things that Paddick is proposing. His gang's most
recent missive to party members (I am one) claimed to have fully costed
all of their policies. But when I asked to see their working, all I
heard back was (and I paraphrase) "they're fully costed" with none of
the details I asked for.

Needless to say, I won't be voting for him.

For all I know they really could have figured out how to do it, and they
might even have figured out how to do it without unacceptably raising
prices elsewhere, but I won't believe it until I see the details.

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.

Old February 9th 12, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams writes:

On Feb 7, 4:56*pm, amogles wrote:

In a German style Tarifverbund, doubling back is normally allowed, as
the validity of the ticket is zone and time dependent but route
independent.

Indeed. Essentially a "single ticket" in many such cases (not
Hamburg, interestingly, where it is genuinely a single ticket in the
manner of a zonal single Tube ticket) is the same as a day ticket, but
validity is limited to an hour or two.

i don't know if i understand 'doubling back' correctly, but if it is
similar to what i would call a 'return', it is not allowed with a single
ticket in VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Ruhr), VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein
Sieg) or even Berlin or Munich.

i even think the general policy in a german Verkehrsverbund is 'no round
trips or returns with a single ticket', but i didn't check all of them.

VRR (Ruhrgebiet):
,----
| beliebiges Umsteigen zwischen allen VRR-Nahverkehrsmitteln inklusive
| (nicht für Rund- und Rückfahrten)
`----

BVG (Berlin):
,----
| Einzelfahrscheine berechtigen zu einer Fahrt mit beliebig häufigem
| Umsteigen in Richtung auf das Fahrtziel auf dem reiseüblichen oder durch
| die Fahrplanlage bedingten Weg.
`----

MVV (Munich):
,----
`----
--
frobnicate foo
Old February 9th 12, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 16:25:30 on Thu, 9 Feb 2012,
frank paulsen remarked:
i don't know if i understand 'doubling back' correctly, but if it is
similar to what i would call a 'return', it is not allowed with a single
ticket in VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Ruhr), VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein
Sieg) or even Berlin or Munich.

"Doubling back" means a journey with a "u-turn" in it (encompassing at
least one station you've already been through)

For example, Bristol to Oxford with a change at Reading, rather than
Didcot.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~...gwRouteMap.pdf