Old February 21st 12, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 4:54*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:59:23 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. *There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. *The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Is the Southwark situation really a 'special charge' though, or is it the
same as what you'd be charged if you entered and left any station in the 2 -
30 min bracket?

There is a special charge - I only realised there was when I saw an
official document. It's a platform ticket charged at 20p rather than
£1. I don't know what the NR rate is for a platform ticket these days.

The 20p charge is for a printed/paper platform ticket (accessible on
Tube ticket machines via the 'Extensions & other tickets' option or
something like that). As I describe in my other post there's no charge
whatsoever when using Oyster for walking through Southwark Tube
station from one entrance to the other (I haven't tried entering and
then exiting via the same gateline at Southwark so it's possible that
ain't free).

This is what we discussed regarding Blackfriars after FCC
mentioned on their website that using their station as a thoroughfare would
incur a 'penalty'. *We came to the conclusion that it was no different to
any other station - just that people aren't in the habit of walking straight
through in most places. *But apparently there are posters at Canary Wharf
advising of a 'pass through' charge?

No it is different to the "change your mind / there is no train
service" rule when using Oyster PAYG to exit having previously entered
at the same station.

I'm not aware of any issue at Canary Wharf but I'm due there on Friday
afternoon so I shall keep my eyes open.

At Canary Wharf there were (not sure if they're still there) posters
which used the phrase "platform ticket" to describe the charge that a
punter would be levied on their Oyster card for entering at one
gateline and exiting at another - one can well imagine people doing
this between the main gateline at the western end and the eastern
Upper Bank Street gateline, what with all the direct subterranean
links to adjacent offices and the shopping malls that lead off from
the Tube station complex. (I imagine the phrase "platform ticket" was
used simply because it conveyed the meaning well, rather than being a
super accurate technical description.)

Old February 21st 12, 12:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 20, 10:48*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote:

Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight advance
on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while ago,
suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new underground
structures (and back of house facilities) either side of the platforms has
been undertaken. * AIUI the decision to defer opening was very last minute,
so does anyone know the root cause?

Dunno, but you're right about the massive building works - the new
'ceiling' above the platforms looks like a considerable structure. All
rather different from the Blackfriars LU of old.
Old February 21st 12, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Feb 20, 2:55*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
[Blackfriars LU and NR]

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. *There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. *The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Sorry Paul but that isn't quite right w.r.t. the situation at Southwark.

When using Oyster PAYG, you now automatically get free passage through
Southwark Tube station - i.e. from the Waterloo East entrance to the
main Southwark Tube station entrance (on the corner of The Cut and
Blackfriars Rd) or vice versa.

This applies quite independently of any Oyster PAYG journey on NR you
may have just made - i.e. if getting off a Southeastern train at
Waterloo East - or any Oyster PAYG journey on NR you might be about to
make - i.e. if about to get on a Southeastern train at Waterloo East.

Indeed, you needn't make any Oyster PAYG journey on NR to or from
Waterloo East whatsoever to benefit from this - i.e. if you have a
paper ticket for a journey to/from Waterloo East, you can use your
Oyster card to get from Waterloo East to the main Southwark Tube
entrance or vice versa. You can also do this with an Oyster card with
zero (GBP0.00) credit on it.

And yes, I have tested it on a number of occasions...

In other words, there's no OSI required as part of the mix to use an
Oyster card to walk through Southwark Tube station. At Blackfriars
however, it's different as one either needs to have just made a Tube
journey, or needs to be about to make one, in order to be able to walk
through the Thameslink station and across the bridge for free.

What shows on Oyster journey history?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 23rd 12, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 1:34*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:48*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote:

Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight advance
on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while ago,
suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new underground
structures (and back of house facilities) either side of the platforms has
been undertaken. * AIUI the decision to defer opening was very last minute,
so does anyone know the root cause?

Dunno, but you're right about the massive building works - the new
'ceiling' above the platforms looks like a considerable structure. All
rather different from the Blackfriars LU of old.

You wouldn't know that Blackfriars has re-opened if you passed through
Kings Cross station today. Coming up from the Victoria Line, there is
a prominent poster saying "Blackfriars Tube Station will reopen on
26th February 2012". This therefore gives the impression that the
station is still closed. Still, you can't expect London Underground
to always provide accurate information to its customers.
Old February 23rd 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I
found out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may
be escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

--
Clive Page

Old February 23rd 12, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message
On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I found
out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may be
escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

There are definitely escalators both sides, even if not currently visible.
On the southbound side the escalators are either side of the staircase
within a common structure; on the northbound side the stairs are completely
separate, the escalators run parallel to the stairs but are about 10m nearer
the centre of the station (ie further to the east and broadly inline with
the end of the bay platforms). There are also two lifts either side of the
north station, those for the northbound side (and the bays) are between the
stairs and escalators, IYSWIM...

To get your bearings, the tops and bottoms of all the lifts and stairs are
broadly in line with one another if you imagined lines joining them right
across the concourse and platforms at 90 degrees to the line of the
bridge...

Paul S

Old February 23rd 12, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23/02/2012 11:13, Clive Page wrote:
On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I
found out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may be
escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

I was just there this evening. Blackfriars NR and Blackfriars tube
station are completely separate in terms of fares. This means that, if
you wish to walk the length of the station from the South Bank entrance,
you have to tap in. Once you get to the other side, you have to tap out
again. Then you have to tap in again to enter Blackfriars tube station.
These will all be charged as separate fares. There is no grace time from
tapping out at Brackfriars NR to Blackfriars tube station.

You would have at least thought that they would have thought of this
earlier.

Old February 23rd 12, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:21:08 +0000, "
wrote:

[...]

I thought OSI applied?
Old February 24th 12, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

I was just there this evening. Blackfriars NR and Blackfriars tube station
are completely separate in terms of fares. This means that, if you wish to
walk the length of the station from the South Bank entrance, you have to
tap in. Once you get to the other side, you have to tap out again. Then
you have to tap in again to enter Blackfriars tube station. These will all
be charged as separate fares. There is no grace time from tapping out at
Brackfriars NR to Blackfriars tube station.

NO, it's a normal OSI between the gatelines.

In any case, the scenario you are suggesting is contrary to FCC's published
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across the
river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a
continuation by tube would be charged normally.

Others have been out and tested this, and proved that is indeed what
happens.

Paul S

Old February 24th 12, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:36:20 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across the
river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I surprised.

B2003