Old February 26th 12, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 25, 4:12*pm, "
wrote:
On 25/02/2012 09:36, lonelytraveller wrote:

Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:

(a) The south entrance is nicely covered in brickwork, and
fascinatingly inside the bridge itself, visibly. But there used to be
really pretty arches -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/6716393459/

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/ima...d218aaa2424be0...

Were these destroyed? And why were they not reconstructed, or exposed
for display for the station (particularly the first)?

(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

(c) The ticket office has a balcony above it, and there's a blue tube.
Its subtle, but on the mockups, there is a public spiral staircase
round the blue tube. Whats it for, and what is the purpose of the
balcony?

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1...friars1mp5.jpg

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...64771362/30064...

(d) The ticket office used to be 1 floor below ground level
(connecting to the passage under the road), and now its on ground
level, so how come the stairs seem to be the same length, and only
about one floor long?

The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

St. Pancras International?

Why? St. Pancras International is a huge victorian trainshed faced
with a massive victorian gothic hotel.

Old February 26th 12, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 25, 4:57*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"lonelytraveller" wrote in

Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:
(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

I have some downloaded planning drawings for this stuff, and the difference
seems to be that the east bound side goes up to an emergency exit at the
Queen Victoria street level, but the westbound side heads off underneath the
rail station's basement level, with an emergency exit to the street at a
similar level to the platforms, possibly at the level of the embankment -
Upper Thames St maybe? *(There is another short staircase further down the
passageway which raises the passageway back up to approximately platform
level.)

Paul S

How close does that go to the Waterloo & City line?

I'm thinking passive provision for an interchange...
Old February 26th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:37:53 on Sun, 26 Feb 2012, lonelytraveller
remarked:
The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

St. Pancras International?

Low Level (nee Thameslink) I expect.

Old February 26th 12, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/02/2012 12:37, lonelytraveller wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:12 pm,
wrote:
[...]

For Thameslink, I meant.
Old February 26th 12, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/02/2012 12:39, lonelytraveller wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:57 pm, "Paul
wrote:
"lonelytraveller"nospam_lonelytraveller_nos...@ho tmail.co.uk wrote in

[...]

I thought that they're not into that, however.

Old February 27th 12, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:10:53 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I'd have gone with toll tunnel!, but as you suggest, and as pointed out by
others back in November, it works exactly the same as if you entered and
left any other barriered station between 2 and 30 mins later. (IIRC someone
posted those exact figures.)

the rules for same station exit are on the TfL website. I guess it may
be possible that the TOCs apply different criteria.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14870.aspx

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

B2003

Old February 27th 12, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Paul S

Old February 27th 12, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:42:58 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates
so unless they're planning on jumping over or pushing through them or are
travelling to aberdeen how exactly is that going to help? Also we're constantly
reminded how many inspectors there are on the system.

B2003

Old February 27th 12, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into
the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates
so unless they're planning on jumping over or pushing through them or are
travelling to aberdeen how exactly is that going to help?

You don't need to be going to Aberdeen. Anywhere ungated on any NR route
outside London would do; and there are many such places in Surrey, Sussex,
Kent etc etc...

Paul S

Old February 27th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, wrote:

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates

DLR is ungated as are many NR stations.

Even NR stations that are gated have to have the gates locked open for
significant parts of the day because relatively few NR stations are
staffed throughout station opening hours.
--
Paul Terry