Old February 23rd 12, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trip report: Stratford

In message
, at
22:28:06 on Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Offramp remarked:
And why call it Westfield?
Stuck for a name, ay?

It's the name of the property company. cf: Arndale (Centre).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfield_Group
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arndale

Old February 23rd 12, 09:05 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
Verily, verily I say unto you. Westfield is a nightmare. I felt
claustrophobic and had to get out, which took about 5 minutes.
It's not so bad if you go mid-week before about 15.00. After that and all weekend, it's intolerable. I'm surprised you lasted five minutes.
Old February 23rd 12, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:12:52 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

And why call it Westfield?
Stuck for a name, ay?

It's just one of a vast chain of malls from the Westfield group - see
http://www.westfield.com/corporate/

The full name of Startford's is "Westfield Stratford City" to
distinguish it from all the others.

Locally I'm increasingly hearing (and using) "Stratfield".

I preferred Eastfield.
Old February 23rd 12, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:05:53 +0000
Robin9 wrote:
Offramp;127790 Wrote:

Verily, verily I say unto you. Westfield is a nightmare. I felt
claustrophobic and had to get out, which took about 5 minutes.

It's not so bad if you go mid-week before about 15.00. After that and
all weekend, it's intolerable. I'm surprised you lasted five minutes.

It amazes me that some people genuinely go to these places as a day out.

B2003

Old February 23rd 12, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:42:36 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
It amazes me that some people genuinely go to these places as a day

out.

Quite. A combination of Tesco (as far out of hours as feasible) and
online shopping is far better.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 23rd 12, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:56:36 +0000
Recliner wrote:
It amazes me that some people genuinely go to these places as a day out.

Indeed -- I seem to remember you predicting last year that it wouldn't
draw anyone other than locals.

Yup. I guess that'll teach me to overestimate the taste and culture of your
average chav.

B2003

Old February 24th 12, 02:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

It amazes me that some people genuinely go to these places as a day

out.

Quite. A combination of Tesco (as far out of hours as feasible) and
online shopping is far better.

A lot of people like to actually see the items to hand rather just look at
pictures and a description.

Also online shopping can be a real pain because of the delivery firms,
especially if you live in any sort of flat or compound - which is a large
number and growing out here, including those without a direct intercom to
individual flats at street level. A lot of the courier firms have not put
together a proper strategy for how to deliver to such flats beyond turn up
at the gate, shrug shoulders, drive off and bill the sender for
non-delivery. (By contrast the likes of Pizza Hut have worked out things
like taking telephone numbers and issuing their deliverers with phones to
contact buyers directly, whilst Royal Mail usually have keys.) Throw in the
inability to deliver on the day predicted & taken off work, and you can
understand why online shopping ain't great for all.