Old March 13th 12, 03:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster complaints

I have traveled on railway systems all across Europe using smart cards and none compare to the sheer complexity and complication to the Oyster card in London.

You just touch in and touch out.
Old March 13th 12, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
24330985.6209.1331612018997.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbgx21, at
21:13:38 on Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Offramp remarked:
I have traveled on railway systems all across Europe using smart
cards and none compare to the sheer complexity and complication
to the Oyster card in London.

You just touch in and touch out.

If only it was that simple!

Although if you are disinterested in what you've been charged, it's
possible to use it like that.
Old March 14th 12, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:36:13 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
24330985.6209.1331612018997.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbgx21, at
21:13:38 on Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Offramp remarked:
I have traveled on railway systems all across Europe using smart
cards and none compare to the sheer complexity and complication
to the Oyster card in London.

And none that I have used yet allow the flexibility of not buying your
ticket up-front. Some would, but have a flat fare on and across all
modes that we'll never have here.

You just touch in and touch out.

If only it was that simple!

I think it is *almost* that simple, but in the few places where it is
easy to get caught out, better signage or barriers could be required.
The page on the TfL site that explains when, where and what to touch
is long enough to demonstrate the number of special cases, and has a
whole paragraph for Wimbledon.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14870.aspx

I had not seen any mention before of not using yellow validators you
encounter en-route.

Although if you are disinterested in what you've been charged, it's
possible to use it like that.

If you touch in and out correctly, as you know you can't pay more than
a one-day Travelcard. I don't see how it can be both flexible and
obvious what you're paying until you get to that amount. Maybe
machines dedicated to showing just these details, inside the paid
area?

I forgot to touch in on Saturday and paid for the privilege, but that
was entirely my fault. At least it wasn't the full £7.80, although
the (NR) barrier did the usual thing of opening the gate then showing
me a red light, a theoretical impossibility!

Richard.

Old March 15th 12, 09:06 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Not now of course, but if the so-called experts had used their brains at the right time, the extension would already be completed. If, as the ever more frequent signs of panic from TfL indicate, there are severe problems in transporting so many people to the Stratford area during the Olympics, any major additional capacity would have been more than welcome. Obviously I hope that all goes well but if it doesn't, then I hope the expertise and judgement of those at the top of TfL and City Hall will be questioned.
Old March 15th 12, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:32:09 on
Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Richard remarked:

I have traveled on railway systems all across Europe using smart
cards and none compare to the sheer complexity and complication
to the Oyster card in London.

And none that I have used yet allow the flexibility of not buying your
ticket up-front. Some would, but have a flat fare on and across all
modes that we'll never have here.

Amsterdam has zones and a card very like Oyster.

You just touch in and touch out.

If only it was that simple!

I think it is *almost* that simple, but in the few places where it is
easy to get caught out, better signage or barriers could be required.
The page on the TfL site that explains when, where and what to touch
is long enough to demonstrate the number of special cases, and has a
whole paragraph for Wimbledon.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14870.aspx

I had not seen any mention before of not using yellow validators you
encounter en-route.

"If you don't need to change trains, don't touch any other
yellow card readers during your journey. If you do, you may be
charged for two separate journeys."

Bizarre, isn't it! If you aren't changing trains, why get off, touch,
then get on again? And even if you do why can't they aggregate the
journeys?

Although if you are disinterested in what you've been charged, it's
possible to use it like that.

If you touch in and out correctly, as you know you can't pay more than
a one-day Travelcard.

A peak one, yes; but there are issues to do with time of day, using peak
buses then off-peak trains... and all of this assumes your touches are
100% perfect.

I don't see how it can be both flexible and
obvious what you're paying until you get to that amount. Maybe
machines dedicated to showing just these details, inside the paid
area?

I've often said that they should have kiosks where you can display the
"charge so far", and maybe do some "what if" sums regarding later legs.

Old March 15th 12, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:06:33 +0000
Robin9 wrote:
Not now of course, but if the so-called experts had used their brains at
the right time, the extension would already be completed. If, as the
ever more frequent signs of panic from TfL indicate, there are severe
problems in transporting so many people to the Stratford area during the
Olympics, any major additional capacity would have been more than
welcome. Obviously I hope that all goes well but if it doesn't, then I
hope the expertise and judgement of those at the top of TfL and City
Hall will be questioned.

Instead of sending the victoria to leytonstone which is a link thats unlikely
to be used all that much , surely it would have been far better to send the
jubilee line through east london via hackney to terminate in the walthamstow
area or tottenham areas?

B2003

Old March 15th 12, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
Not now of course, but if the so-called experts had used their brains at
the right time, the extension would already be completed. If, as the
ever more frequent signs of panic from TfL indicate, there are severe
problems in transporting so many people to the Stratford area during the
Olympics, any major additional capacity would have been more than
welcome.

Oh yes, it would really have been worth spending more £ billions just
to ensure that those Olympics will run smoothly for a couple of weeks.
Old March 15th 12, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin9 wrote:
What the OP's lament really proves is that the Victoria Line should be
extended the two miles to Leytonstone Underground. It would make life so
much better for so many people . . . . and the Olympics are coming and
there is likely to be a massive shortage of public transport capacity.

Reinstating Hall Farm Curve would be cheaper, and likewise improve
the transport links in the area.

--
Mike Bristow