Old March 18th 12, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Bloody traffic police at accidents

wrote in message
Some accidents on the M25 and A40 this morning basically gridlocked most
of west
london thanks to plod taking their own sweet time to clear up the scene.
Does
it really warrant closing a major road for 3 bloody hours (and counting)
just
to take notes of a car crash? Once the casualties have been ferried away ,
take some photos and push the vehicles onto the side of the road until
they
can be towed away. What is the bloody problem with plod in this country?
Why
does even a modest accident have to be a ****ing "crime scene"? Have they
really got nothing else better to do with their time?

It's impatience like that that causes accidents.

:-)

--
Brian

Old March 19th 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:51:06 +0000
Bill wrote:
What samples? DNA on the road surface? FFS , when vehicles crash its not
rocket science to figure out what happened.

I am glad that you are such an expert, rocket science may well be
simpler.

If that was the case we'd be launching 2000 rockets a year. I haven't seen
any taking off from the M25 recently, have you?

Well with few photos and conflicting evidence there would be no presecution
so I wouldn't be worried.

You would be if a couple of people claimed that they saw you speeding
and driving erratically before the incident and you knew full well that
you were within the speed limit. I'm sure that you would be pleading
for the scientific evidence then to prove your claim.

Given the number of CCTV cameras on major roads in london I'd be quite happy
for them to whip out the tape and I'd be out of court in 5 minutes.

B2003

Old March 19th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:00:42 +0000
Bill wrote:
Do your relatives share this view? Not a quick yes/no, but a thought

No idea, and once I'm dead I won't care.

They manage to get the tube up and running fairly quickly when someone
falls under a train so there's absolutely no reason for a major arterial
road to be closed for almost the entire morning just because of a bog standard
road accident.

There is a slight difference in the two situations and the complexity of
the detail.

Not really. Not everyone who falls under a tube train jumps - some are pushed.
Who was the suspect, where did he go etc etc...

B2003

Old March 19th 12, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:58:09 +0000
"Richard J." wrote:
Your description of an accident in which someone died (an acquaintance
of an acquaintance of mine actually) as a "perfectly ordinary accident"
and a "bog standard accident" just shows how callously insensitive you
are. Any argument based on those sentiments is not worth debating. Good
night.

I feel your pain about the death of "an aquaintance of an aquantaince".
Did you get councilling?

Lets be realistic - the death of anyone is a loss to their friends and
relatives but means jack **** to everyone else. If that sounds callous then
ask yourself whether you burst into tears or even think every day about the
hundreds of kids who die in africa every day from malnutrition or disease?
No? Didn't think so. So don't pretend you give a rats arse about someone
you don't know dying in a road accident.

B2003

Old March 19th 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

On Mar 18, 11:14*pm, "Brian Watson" wrote:
wrote in message

Some accidents on the M25 and A40 this morning basically gridlocked most
of west
london thanks to plod taking their own sweet time to clear up the scene..
Does
it really warrant closing a major road for 3 bloody hours (and counting)
just
to take notes of a car crash? Once the casualties have been ferried away ,
take some photos and push the vehicles onto the side of the road until
they
can be towed away. What is the bloody problem with plod in this country?
Why
does even a modest accident have to be a ****ing "crime scene"? Have they
really got nothing else better to do with their time?

It's impatience like that that causes accidents.

Nobody has yet said why our police need a substantial amount of hours
to accomplish what foreign police manage in usually about an hour? The
quality of proof to gain a conviction in say the Netherlands is just
as stringent as in the UK so why the delays?

Old March 19th 12, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 16 March 2012 23:18:35 UTC, Alek Smart wrote:
I seem to recall it being Brendan's brother Domnic who made the Police
Intervention comment....

"I can concieve of no human situation so awful,that could'nt be immediately
worsened by the interest of a Gard" (Irish Police)

Either way, it's worth raising a glass to the pair of em on the day ?

Thanks! I have never ever seen the quote written down... I heard it once (on Radio 4, I suppose) and thought it was so true that I remembered it.
I shall continue to quote it, now-properly-attributed, with 'policeman' (of course) instead of Gard.

Cheers!
Old March 19th 12, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 03:39:19 -0700 (PDT)
NM wrote:
Nobody has yet said why our police need a substantial amount of hours
to accomplish what foreign police manage in usually about an hour? The
quality of proof to gain a conviction in say the Netherlands is just
as stringent as in the UK so why the delays?

My guess would be lazyness. If no one makes you hurry then you won't so
plod isn't going to get his arse into gear and get everything sorted in an
hour if he can keep the road closed, have an easy life and take 3.

B2003

Old March 25th 12, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"NM" wrote in message

Nobody has yet said why our police need a substantial amount of hours
to accomplish what foreign police manage in usually about an hour?

Having worked on Police systems in the past I would say it's very unusual
for accident investigation to be a major cause of delay.

In the UK the Police role at the accident site is largely scene management,
because other agencies deal with the injured and dead, removal of damaged
vehicles and making safe any damage to the infrastructure. Any of these can
take hours to sort out before a road can be safely reopened, but without
detailed knowledge of a particular incident I wouldn't know what the
reason(s) for a prolonged road closure are.

You don't get this sort of detail from a road traffic report on the radio,
which is why I asked the OP for his information sources.

--
DAS