Old March 27th 12, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default cyclist accidents

whenever I hear of cyclist killed in accidents, I remember the last
time I saw a cyclist going the wrong way on a cycle lane using a
mobile phone, or going thro the yellow box at a junction against the
red lights(Hackney road/Shoreditch high St), on almost every occasion
when I get a bus into the city, I see some cyclist doing something
against the law( and common sense).

Old March 28th 12, 06:43 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn dawe[_2_] View Post
whenever I hear of cyclist killed in accidents, I remember the last
time I saw a cyclist going the wrong way on a cycle lane using a
mobile phone, or going thro the yellow box at a junction against the
red lights(Hackney road/Shoreditch high St), on almost every occasion
when I get a bus into the city, I see some cyclist doing something
against the law( and common sense).
I drive a lot and I see cyclists with an apparent death wish every day.
Today at the Gants Hill roundabout one tried to incorporate me into
his suicide scheme but I refused to cooperate.
Old March 29th 12, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:43:23 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
'martyn dawe[_2_ Wrote:
;129272']whenever I hear of cyclist killed in accidents, I remember the
last
time I saw a cyclist going the wrong way on a cycle lane using a
mobile phone, or going thro the yellow box at a junction against the
red lights(Hackney road/Shoreditch high St), on almost every occasion
when I get a bus into the city, I see some cyclist doing something
against the law( and common sense).

I drive a lot and I see cyclists with an apparent death wish every day.

Today at the Gants Hill roundabout one tried to incorporate me into
his suicide scheme but I refused to cooperate.

If you want to have a good rant against idiot cyclists then uk.rec.driving is
the place to vent. xposted.

B2003

Old March 29th 12, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

Robin9 wrote:
'martyn dawe[_2_ Wrote:
;129272']whenever I hear of cyclist killed in accidents, I remember the
last
time I saw a cyclist going the wrong way on a cycle lane using a
mobile phone, or going thro the yellow box at a junction against the
red lights(Hackney road/Shoreditch high St), on almost every occasion
when I get a bus into the city, I see some cyclist doing something
against the law( and common sense).

I drive a lot and I see cyclists with an apparent death wish every day.

Today at the Gants Hill roundabout one tried to incorporate me into
his suicide scheme but I refused to cooperate.

If you want to have a good rant against idiot cyclists then uk.rec.driving
is
the place to vent. xposted.

And uk.rec.cycling. It's full of cyclists who hate drivers.

Old April 2nd 12, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:41:47 +0100, "Mr Benn"
wrote:

And uk.rec.cycling. It's full of cyclists who hate drivers.

I think it's rather more full of trolls who hate cyclists these days.
Doug doesn't really constitute "full", and the rest of us are all
drivers as far as I know.

Or perhaps you are picking up the mantle of promoting the myth that
anything less than uncritical admiration for the motor car somehow
constitutes hatred of all drivers; that's not an especially productive
way of escalating your trolling activity.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old April 3rd 12, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

at 00:52:02 on Wed, 28 Mar 2012, peter
remarked:
How often do you see motor vehicles at traffic lights abusing the
cyclists advanced stop lines?

Very often. On the other hand I've never seen a *cyclist* using any of
the numerous advanced stop boxes in the town where I live. Cyclists are
a rarity in any case, but those who encounter red traffic lights tend to
mount the pavement and use the pedestrian crossing facilities (oblivious
to whether the little man is red or green, naturally).

At least they aren't running the red lights in the road itself!
Old April 3rd 12, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 8:25*am, Roland Perry wrote:
at 00:52:02 on Wed, 28 Mar 2012, peter
remarked:

How often do you see motor vehicles at traffic lights abusing the
cyclists advanced stop lines?

Very often. On the other hand I've never seen a *cyclist* using any of
the numerous advanced stop boxes in the town where I live. Cyclists are
a rarity in any case, but those who encounter red traffic lights tend to
mount the pavement and use the pedestrian crossing facilities (oblivious
to whether the little man is red or green, naturally).

At least they aren't running the red lights in the road itself!

I cycle to work and also drive a car. I see other cyclists doing
stupid things, arrogant things. (Have you ever tried to drive through
Richmond Park on a Sunday with hordes of them riding three or more
abreast?). There's good and bad in all road users. I rode motorbikes
until quite recently and use the skills I acquired there to defend my
space and register threats.
The one thing I can't do however is legislate for the random abuse I
suffer regularly. In the past month I've been cycling along an off
road cycle path when a builders van came alongside, the passenger
leant out of the window and let loose a tirade of abuse along the
lines of "You f*****g cyclist c**t". (I think. I did notice what
looked like a can of lager in his hand a 8.15 in the morning). Another
recent incident also involved an offroad cycle path where a driver
came alongside with his window wound down and yelled, "You f******g
*******, I'm reporting you to the police!" As I'd never seen the guy
before and had been on the cycle path for some considerable time
before he came up behind me, I wondered what I had done to upset the
tosser. I wasn't the only one however, he went on to repeat the threat
to two other cyclists in front of me, one of which was a child. He
then drove through a red light.

Neill
Old April 3rd 12, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
05:48:33 on Tue, 3 Apr 2012, neill remarked:
On Apr 3, 8:25*am, Roland Perry wrote:
at 00:52:02 on Wed, 28 Mar 2012, peter
remarked:

How often do you see motor vehicles at traffic lights abusing the
cyclists advanced stop lines?

Very often. On the other hand I've never seen a *cyclist* using any of
the numerous advanced stop boxes in the town where I live. Cyclists are
a rarity in any case, but those who encounter red traffic lights tend to
mount the pavement and use the pedestrian crossing facilities (oblivious
to whether the little man is red or green, naturally).

At least they aren't running the red lights in the road itself!

I cycle to work and also drive a car. I see other cyclists doing
stupid things, arrogant things. (Have you ever tried to drive through
Richmond Park on a Sunday with hordes of them riding three or more
abreast?).

No, I don't think I ever have.

Cycling more than one abreast is one of those things which especially
annoys motorists, though. Cars don't generally drive two or three
abreast.

There's good and bad in all road users. I rode motorbikes
until quite recently and use the skills I acquired there to defend my
space and register threats.

And similar skills are taught on Advanced Driving courses (which I have
the certificates for). Long ago I also got a Cycling Proficiency badge!