Old March 30th 12, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default TfL games advertising outside London

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:53:16 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:31:32 on Fri, 30 Mar
2012, d remarked:
The real blackmail is in the holiday companies and airlines stiffing people
with exhorbitant fares during school holidays. There's no reason for them to
do it , they just do it because they can. Its naked profiteering.

They price things according to supply and demand. It's difficult to
criticise that in a capitalist economy.

Except they put the prices up in the expectation of demand long before
the season, not actual demand during it.

B2003

Old March 30th 12, 02:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:08:42 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
Except they put the prices up in the expectation of demand long

before
the season, not actual demand during it.

Because they know there *will be* high demand.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old March 30th 12, 04:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 30, 3:08*pm, wrote:

Except they put the prices up in the expectation of demand long before
the season, not actual demand during it.

And?
Old March 30th 12, 04:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:32:47 on Fri, 30
Mar 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
The figures I saw were 20%, it wasn't clear whether that was absolute
or another 20% over and above those who would normally go abroad at
that time.

ABTA's report said:

"Escaping the crowds

Clearly we are not all sports lovers, 12% of Brits say they are
intending to go abroad specifically to avoid the Games and 9% are
looking to go on holiday somewhere in the UK free from Olympics fever.
The older generation appears to be the least keen on staying in the UK;
with 22% of the over 65s intending to head overseas to avoid the Games
and 18% of 55-64 year olds.

Londoners most likely to change plans

Perhaps unsurprisingly, over a quarter (28%) of Londoners are
considering changing their holiday plans due to the Olympics. Nearly 50%
say they will take time off throughout the games and 77% say they will
be staying in the Capital during the two weeks.

Old March 30th 12, 05:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

ABTA's report said:

"Escaping the crowds

Clearly we are not all sports lovers, 12% of Brits say they are
intending to go abroad specifically to avoid the Games and 9% are
looking to go on holiday somewhere in the UK free from Olympics fever.
The older generation appears to be the least keen on staying in the UK;
with 22% of the over 65s intending to head overseas to avoid the Games
and 18% of 55-64 year olds.

Londoners most likely to change plans

Perhaps unsurprisingly, over a quarter (28%) of Londoners are
considering changing their holiday plans due to the Olympics. Nearly 50%
say they will take time off throughout the games and 77% say they will
be staying in the Capital during the two weeks.

Do such figures have any credibility whatsoever? I intend to be taking
my private jet to my own tropical island, but I'm having some slight
problems with an intermediate stage in this plan.

And even so, "9% are looking to go on holiday somewhere in the UK free
from Olympics fever." That somewhere could include London, which
wouldn't really help the transport situation...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old March 30th 12, 05:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30/03/2012 12:03, Robin wrote:
The fact that in the office of about 40 people I work in only 1 has
taken
a holiday of longer than 10 days in the last year. None of my friends
or family have taken 2 weeks either and last year I didn't notice an
appreciable drop in commuter traffic levels in london last summer
either.

So other than first hand experience I don't have any evidence.

No risk of sampling bias then? And no contradiction between your
conclusion and the ONS who reported in "Travel Trends 2010" the average
over all overseas holiday trips in 2010 was 10 nights?

Could it be that short trips are increasingly popular (being in real
terms more affordable and practical than in the past), but people don't
count shorter trips as "holiday"?

If someone happened to ask where I went on holiday last year I might
well say I had fortnight trip to Russia. But I also had a long weekend
in France, week+weekend Portugal, week+weekend in Germany and managed to
tag a couple of days on a business trip to the USA.

Admittedly I probably do more travel than typical, I don't have kids to
worry about, and see Benidorm as a place to have lunch before catching a
narrow gauge train rather than than somewhere to fester for a fortnight.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK