Old November 25th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelcard coming from outside London, not going via a London Terminal

I tried to make the subject line longer, honestly I did.....

I'm travelling from Bracknell to Teddington Studios tonight, and was
wondering if there's any sort of travelcard I can get that only restricts me
to outer zones? I'll basically need something that combines a return on the
train from Bracknell to Twickenham and a bus return from Twickenham to
Teddington Lock.

Or is a standard all-zones travelcard the only real way to go?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old November 25th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

AstraVanMan wrote:
I tried to make the subject line longer, honestly I did.....

I'm travelling from Bracknell to Teddington Studios tonight, and was
wondering if there's any sort of travelcard I can get that only restricts me
to outer zones? I'll basically need something that combines a return on the
train from Bracknell to Twickenham and a bus return from Twickenham to
Teddington Lock.

Or is a standard all-zones travelcard the only real way to go?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

An all zone travelcard is the only inclusive ticket. It depends how
much more it costs than a CDR Bracknell - Twickenham as to whether it's
worth it. The bus fare will be £1.50 each way, I think, assuming you
don't have to change

Old November 25th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:06:43 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

I tried to make the subject line longer, honestly I did.....

I'm travelling from Bracknell to Teddington Studios tonight, and was
wondering if there's any sort of travelcard I can get that only restricts me
to outer zones? I'll basically need something that combines a return on the
train from Bracknell to Twickenham and a bus return from Twickenham to
Teddington Lock.

Why not change to a Kingston train at Twickenham and go through to
Teddington? It's only a short walk on from the station.
--
Paul C

Old November 25th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote:
I tried to make the subject line longer, honestly I did.....

I'm travelling from Bracknell to Teddington Studios tonight, and was
wondering if there's any sort of travelcard I can get that only restricts
me
to outer zones? I'll basically need something that combines a return on
the
train from Bracknell to Twickenham and a bus return from Twickenham to
Teddington Lock.

Why not change to a Kingston train at Twickenham and go through to
Teddington? It's only a short walk on from the station.

Because it's still a good 10 minute walk from Teddington station to the
studios, plus the trains come in to Twickenham from Bracknell at 11 and 41
minutes past the hour, and trains to Teddington are 5 and 35 minutes past
the hour, so whatever the case it'd be the best part of half an hour wait
for the connecting train. Buses are every 8 minutes and stop virtually
right outside the studios.

As it happened I was advised to avoid Twickenham due to the Rugby (non-issue
as it happened due to the time I travelled vs time the game started), so I
got off at Feltham and got the 285 bus. £4.50 CDR to Feltham plus two lots
of £1.50 for the bus - still cheaper than a £9.25 travelcard. And coming
back I walked into Teddington as there were no buses on their way, waited no
longer than 3 minutes for a bus, and the train pulled in to Feltham just as
I walked into the station. Sorted, respect due.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old November 26th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
"Paul Corfield" wrote:
[...]

You need to get yourself an Oyster with a couple of quid on it.

tim

Old November 26th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote:
As it happened I was advised to avoid Twickenham due to the Rugby
(non-issue as it happened due to the time I travelled vs time the game
started), so I got off at Feltham and got the 285 bus. £4.50 CDR to
Feltham plus two lots of £1.50 for the bus - still cheaper than a £9.25
travelcard. And coming back I walked into Teddington as there were no
buses on their way, waited no longer than 3 minutes for a bus, and the
train pulled in to Feltham just as I walked into the station. Sorted,
respect due.

You need to get yourself an Oyster with a couple of quid on it.

Aye, think you're right there. It's something I've picked up a leaflet for
but not bothered doing anything with. I know some others who regularly go
into London from well outside Greater London who do things that way (i.e.
regular return to the London terminus then do the rest on Oyster) - should
be worthwhile, though possibly not that much saved as long as I've got a
young persons' railcard.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old November 26th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:11:01 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

[...]

The other option if needing to use buses is to buy a book of Saver
Tickets - you just tear one off and have the hexagonal bit to the
driver. Saves you paying the full cash fare if Oyster PAYG is not an
attractive option.
--
Paul C

Old November 26th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

My image of you changes completely :-(

tim

Old November 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim(yet another new home)" wrote:
Aye, think you're right there. It's something I've picked up a leaflet
for but not bothered doing anything with. I know some others who
regularly go into London from well outside Greater London who do things
that way (i.e. regular return to the London terminus then do the rest on
Oyster) - should be worthwhile, though possibly not that much saved as
long as I've got a young persons' railcard.

My image of you changes completely :-(

You thought I was a fat sweaty bloke in his mid-40s in some pikey old Astra
van?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old November 26th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:09:47 -0000, AstraVanMan
wrote:

the train pulled in to Feltham just as
I walked into the station. Sorted, respect due.

You weren't watching a Harry Hill recording by any chance?

--
Fig