Old April 2nd 12, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default touching in on the Overground

On Apr 2, 5:19*pm, Abigail Brady wrote:
I have an OysterCard loaded with a zones 1-3 travelcard, and commute
each morning from my ungated zone 3 station on the GOBLIN to a gated
London Underground station in zone 1.

I'm not in the habit of touching in, as it seems pointless, and as far
as I'm aware is not required by the rules (after all, the Oyster
TravelCard has *always* been valid on that route - why should this be
affected by the installation of some equipment for PAYG customers?)

Last week there were some supplementary LOL people at the station -
not doing your regular grip and inspection of all tickets, but instead
just seeming to be lurking. *As I headed to the platforms as usual
they told me I should have touched in.

I told them that I didn't think I had to, I had a season ticket, and
pointed out that I might very well have a paper ticket in which case I
couldn't exactly touch in. *They claimed that I had to touch in with
an Oyster season ticket anyhow. *I pointed them at section 9 of the
NRCoC, which I believe makes my OysterCard-loaded-with-season
equivalent to a paper ticket, with no need to touch in under the
"validated Oyster card" requirement as it is already covered in the
"valid ticket" part of that phrase.

Is my understanding correct?

--
Abi