Old October 17th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Touching in on DLR replacement buses

Quick question - I'm planning on going to Stratford today, from
Deptford Bridge, on the DLR. So I'll be going to Island Gardens on the
DLR, then the replacement bus to Canary Wharf, then onwards on the
DLR. So, where do I touch (I'm pre-paying)?

Obviously in at Deptford Bridge, and out at Stratford, but do I need
to touch out at Island Gardens, then in at Canary Wharf? Will it treat
that as two separate journeys, or will it be intelligent enough to
know and just charge me for one?

Old October 17th 09, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Oct, 10:50, SamB wrote:
Quick question - I'm planning on going to Stratford today, from
Deptford Bridge, on the DLR. So I'll be going to Island Gardens on the
DLR, then the replacement bus to Canary Wharf, then onwards on the
DLR. So, where do I touch (I'm pre-paying)?

Obviously in at Deptford Bridge, and out at Stratford, but do I need
to touch out at Island Gardens, then in at Canary Wharf? Will it treat
that as two separate journeys, or will it be intelligent enough to
know and just charge me for one?

I'd ring TfL to check, but personally, I'd just touch in at the start
and the end, but not in between, just as if the bustitution wasn't in
place.
Old October 17th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:16:13 -0700 (PDT), Chris wrote:

Quick question - I'm planning on going to Stratford today, from
Deptford Bridge, on the DLR. So I'll be going to Island Gardens on the
DLR, then the replacement bus to Canary Wharf, then onwards on the
DLR. So, where do I touch (I'm pre-paying)?

Obviously in at Deptford Bridge, and out at Stratford, but do I need
to touch out at Island Gardens, then in at Canary Wharf? Will it treat
that as two separate journeys, or will it be intelligent enough to
know and just charge me for one?

I'd ring TfL to check, but personally, I'd just touch in at the start
and the end, but not in between, just as if the bustitution wasn't in
place.

I think in this sort of situation they'd generally set up Island
Gardens and Canary Wharf as an out-of-station interchange, so you'd
only get charged the once.

However, as there are (presumably) no barriers, there's no need to
take the chance, so I'd just do what the PP said. There doesn't seem
to be any disadvantage, as you wouldn't be without a valid ticket at
any point.
Old October 17th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 Oct, 23:31, asdf wrote:
[...]

I guess the main thing would be to avoid touching at one but not the
other.
Old October 18th 09, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 17, 11:54*pm, MIG wrote:
On 17 Oct, 23:31, asdf wrote:

[...]

As it turned out, the right thing to do was to avoid touching. I was
worried that I would have to touch on going on to the bus, which would
give an unresolved journey, but there was no touch-in needed there, so
all was fine.

Old October 19th 09, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Oct, 01:27, SamB wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:54*pm, MIG wrote:

On 17 Oct, 23:31, asdf wrote:

[...]

Every time I've taken a DLR bustitution, there's been no need to touch-
in, so sounds like this was the policy again.

Sam
Old October 19th 09, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam Holloway wrote:

Every time I've taken a DLR bustitution, there's been no need to touch-
in, so sounds like this was the policy again.

Sam

So the same as my experience using replacement services for the
UndergrounD such as Northwood to Ricky where I've never had to touch in
on the bus.

MikeR
Old October 19th 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 19, 7:11 pm, Mike Roberts wrote:
So the same as my experience using replacement services for the
UndergrounD such as Northwood to Ricky where I've never had to touch in
on the bus.

This has been my experience. I expect it is universal. I mean, where
would you touch out?

--
Abi
Old October 19th 09, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 Oct, 19:33, Abigail Brady wrote:
On Oct 19, 7:11 pm, Mike Roberts wrote:

So the same as my experience using replacement services for the
UndergrounD such as Northwood to Ricky where I've never had to touch in
on the bus.

This has been my experience. *I expect it is universal. *I mean, where
would you touch out?

--
Abi

There's more variations though. If the stations are gated you've got
no choice. Also, you may or may not want to start/continue the
journey by train/DLR, like last time I used a DLR replacement I went
directly from the bus to my destination, so I had to touch out when
leaving the DLR rather than assume I'd touch out at the end of the
second DLR leg.

And what if you didn't touch out, but then needed to resume the
journey at a gated station?