Old April 21st 12, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Blackfriars again

On Apr 21, 4:12*pm, "
wrote:
On 21/04/2012 16:01, D7666 wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:48 pm, Peter *wrote:

No idea. *Perhaps it's not yet finished?

Indeed,

What is currently visible is mostly hoardings!

BF is not finished yet, or at least was not on my last use of the
place which was about 2 weeks ago now, although as it happens I might
be using it tomorrow.

Commenting ion state of stations during construction work is never
going to yield constructive debate.

If one commented on two stations up the line - Farringdon - on every
different phase of the horrendous work there you could be highly
critical, but what is there now is quite excellent ... and I say that
from the point of view of a commuter who when I do use the place it is
often during full peak, and I do do TL/LU interchanging there.

But even Farringdon is not yet complete, there are still numbers of
hoardings in several different places.

I suspect Blackfriars will be the same, even when the bays are open
and so on it will be a while yet before all hoarding go and all
facilities open.

No-one seems to have commented in uk.r (well I do not remember *if so)
about LU Blackfriars. Thats a fine improvement on what was there
before. if only the entire sub-surface stations could be brought up to
that standard (and all made 8car at the same time) . IMHO the rebuilt
Kings Cross is pathetic compared to the rebuilt Blackfriars.

--
Nick

How so?

Go use it and find out.

--
Nick

Old April 21st 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21/04/2012 16:13, D7666 wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:48 pm, Peter wrote:

[...]

I have, and thus I ask how you find it pathetic compared to the rebuilt
Blackfriars.
Old April 21st 12, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 18:48:52 on
Sat, 21 Apr 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
I would imagine there are real
limits to what can be achieved by way of widening / lengthening
platforms at KX either for sub surface or deep tube platforms.

And widening or lengthening platforms at KX wasn't part of the design
aim, which was to reduce the crowding in the various passages (&stairs/
escalators) between the sub-surface and the deep tubes.
Old April 23rd 12, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 21 April 2012 21:06:15 UTC+1, wrote:

And widening or lengthening platforms at KX wasn't part of the design
aim, which was to reduce the crowding in the various passages
(&stairs/ escalators) between the sub-surface and the deep tubes.

Achieved by making people walk on much longer routes than before.

Absolutely! There are some large distances to travel at KX now.
The Thameslink must have moved about a mile: from beyond the Scala Cinema to the far north end of the station...
Old April 23rd 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Blackfriars again, Kings Cross/Saint Pancras

On Apr 22, 9:10*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:06:15
on Sat, 21 Apr 2012, remarked:

I would imagine there are real
limits to what can be achieved by way of widening / lengthening
platforms at KX either for sub surface or deep tube platforms.

And widening or lengthening platforms at KX wasn't part of the design
aim, which was to reduce the crowding in the various passages
(&stairs/ escalators) between the sub-surface and the deep tubes.

Achieved by making people walk on much longer routes than before.

Indeed, and various false claims made that the new passageways would not
increase the time it took to interchange.

The problem with the geography is that the *old* ticket hall and
escalators are built at the spot the three deep tube lines intersect
(and not that far from the sub-surface), and therefore putting in a new
set of escalators is virtually guaranteed to increase walking distances.

Some of the pedestrian tunnels down at the tube level are so long that
they could use travelators.

OTOH, in the big picture, KX/St.P is developing into a truly beautiful
and functional transportation interchange. The new Kings Cross ticket
hall is especially pleasant. One can watch the departure board from
the mezzanine level and then proceed directly to one's platform.

And, I write this as one who strongly favored the original plan. The
plan was to bring the CRTL into platforms under KX, utilizing a tunnel
from the south.