London Banter

-   -   Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13093-epping-ongar-railway-now-open.html)

Peter Masson[_2_] June 7th 12 09:00 PM

Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

wrote

And where did it gateway onto BR, Stratford?

Quite close to Leyton station, where the Central Line tunnel from Stratford
re-emerges on the surface. The junction with the Stratford - Temple Mills -
Tottenham line was at Loughton Branch Junction. Freight also ran on to the
Hainault Loop via the curve from Seven Kings until 1956.

Peter

The Real Doctor June 7th 12 09:10 PM

Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

On 07/06/12 21:40, wrote:
On 07/06/2012 17:04, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Plus there was very little time gained from using the shuttle over
walking
to or from Holborn - the journey was very short and infrequent enough for
that.

The walk from Holborn to Aldwych is not so short.

What about Leicester Square-Covent Garden, Embankment-Charing Cross or
Canary Wharf-Heron Quays?

None of your examples involves changing train (and indeed platform) in
order to avoid a walk.

You don't have to change trains to do Leicester Square to Covent Garden,
or Canary Wharf to Heron Quays.

There are no trains from Charing Cross to Embankment.

Ian

Mizter T June 7th 12 09:23 PM

On 07/06/2012 21:40, wrote:

On 07/06/2012 17:04, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
[...]
Plus there was very little time gained from using the shuttle over
walking to or from Holborn - the journey was very short and
infrequent enough for that.

The walk from Holborn to Aldwych is not so short.

It's half a mile - which is pretty short in my book. I can see little
justification in reopening it.

Mizter T June 7th 12 09:25 PM

On 07/06/2012 22:10, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 07/06/12 21:40, wrote:

The walk from Holborn to Aldwych is not so short.

What about Leicester Square-Covent Garden, Embankment-Charing Cross or
Canary Wharf-Heron Quays?

None of your examples involves changing train (and indeed platform) in
order to avoid a walk.

You don't have to change trains to do Leicester Square to Covent Garden,
or Canary Wharf to Heron Quays.

There are no trains from Charing Cross to Embankment.

? - there's the Northern and Bakerloo lines - not that I'd recommend
anyone to use them when changing from/to the Circle/District at Embankment.

Roland Perry June 7th 12 09:29 PM

Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

In message , at 22:10:34 on Thu, 7 Jun 2012,
The Real Doctor remarked:

There are no trains from Charing Cross to Embankment.

Apart from the Northern Line, and if you include the old Trafalgar
Square Station, the Bakerloo.

But I'm all in favour of re-opening Aldwych, if it was cost effective.
It's a long walk in the rain, and I'm generally heading for Kings Cross
so Temple and the southern section of the Circle isn't a lot of use. I'd
head for Covent Garden rather than Holborn, and there's some cover
halfway too.

[email protected] June 7th 12 09:39 PM

Roland Perry wrote:

Plus there was very little time gained from using the shuttle over
walking
to or from Holborn - the journey was very short and infrequent enough
for
that.

The walk from Holborn to Aldwych is not so short.

What about Leicester Square-Covent Garden, Embankment-Charing Cross or
Canary Wharf-Heron Quays?

None of your examples involves changing train (and indeed platform) in
order to avoid a walk.
You don't have to change trains to do Leicester Square to Covent Garden,
or Canary Wharf to Heron Quays.

Still, it's a bit of a walk between Holborn and Aldwych

There are no trains from Charing Cross to Embankment.

.... except on the Bakerloo Line and the Charing Cross branch of the
Northern Line.

[email protected] June 7th 12 09:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bakerloo_Line.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Line.svg

The Real Doctor June 7th 12 09:59 PM

On 07/06/12 22:25, Mizter T wrote:

? - there's the Northern and Bakerloo lines - not that I'd recommend
anyone to use them when changing from/to the Circle/District at Embankment.

****.

OK, that's basically the same as the other examples, then.

Ian

[email protected] June 7th 12 10:01 PM

On 07/06/2012 22:59, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 07/06/12 22:25, Mizter T wrote:

? - there's the Northern and Bakerloo lines - not that I'd recommend
anyone to use them when changing from/to the Circle/District at
Embankment.

****.

OK, that's basically the same as the other examples, then.

Ian

Still, Holborn to Aldwych is a much longer walk.

Roland Perry June 8th 12 07:09 AM

Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

In message , at 00:15:31 on Fri, 8
Jun 2012, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
Still, it's a bit of a walk between Holborn and Aldwych

You lot never heard of buses? It's 2 stops FFS.

That costs extra money, and the bus stops at both end aren't necessarily
easy to find (complex road junctions, too many buses to choose from).